Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Olympus releases 3 Micro Four Third cameras with pixel binning and 2 fast primes  (Read 2463 times)

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography

It is a good day for MFT photographers with Olympus's new line-up: E-P3 enthusiast body, E-PL3 and E-PM1 compact bodies. All cameras use the same new Olympus-designed Panasonic 12MP sensor, have a new dual core image processor, 1080i60 HD AVCHD with pixel binning in video, and are claimed to have the fastest AF of all mirrorless cameras, faster than many DSLRs. Perhaps most exciting, two fast primes: 12mm F2.0 and 45mm F1.8, both reportedly have outstanding build and image quality. I'll be finally going all prime when those puppies are out.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto

Hi,

I'm somewhat confused that Oly doesn't make MFT with electronic viewfinder. Once you put a real lens on a camera it will not fit in a pocket anyway, so it could as well be really useful like Panasonic GH2...

Best regards
Erik

It is a good day for MFT photographers with Olympus's new line-up: E-P3 enthusiast body, E-PL3 and E-PM1 compact bodies. All cameras use the same new Olympus-designed Panasonic 12MP sensor, have a new dual core image processor, 1080i60 HD AVCHD with pixel binning in video, and are claimed to have the fastest AF of all mirrorless cameras, faster than many DSLRs. Perhaps most exciting, two fast primes: 12mm F2.0 and 45mm F1.8, both reportedly have outstanding build and image quality. I'll be finally going all prime when those puppies are out.
Erik Kaffehr

feppe

I'm somewhat confused that Oly doesn't make MFT with electronic viewfinder. Once you put a real lens on a camera it will not fit in a pocket anyway, so it could as well be really useful like Panasonic GH2...

A 14/17/20mm pancake will fit in a pocket, especially with the smaller cameras. At least the 20mm f/1.7 is a real lens by any standard.

There's a highly regarded clip-on EVF, and an update to that coming out as well. There are persistent rumors about a "pro" MFT camera from Olympus, probably with built-in EVF, but I believe it is a year or more out. Panasonic is expected to release something exciting in the fall, we'll see.

deejjjaaaa

A 14/17/20mm pancake will fit in a pocket, especially with the smaller cameras. At least the 20mm f/1.7 is a real lens by any standard.

in a BIG pocket = you need cargo pants or jacket... more or less relatively hi-end pocketable camera is Canon S95 - that is what can be called a pocketable size.

stever

yes, i'd rather have a built-in evf (like Fuji, not a lump like the GH-2) - if there's room for a flash, maybe they'll replace the flash with evf on the EP-4

other than that, there's not much to complain about.  Olympus has resisted the Megapixel wars if favor of a sensor with as much resolution as any lens can match and decent high ISO performance (from the DP Review samples looks like it's at least a stop better than Panasonic although not as good as NEX or Fuji).  in fact the overall performance - IQ, noise, autofocus, continuous shooting meet or beat my old 20D with the addition of liveview, video, and a screen that you can see.  a pocketable camera that can deliver quality 13x17 prints of most subjects under most conditions

i've been excited about mirrorless cameras and 4/3 format concept, but until now much less impressed with the reality

i have an s90, and am willing to insure i have bigger pockets for the EP-3 available if it means i can photograph moving subjects and other than in broad daylight

now that Panasonic and Olympus have demonstrated fast CD autofucus maybe there's hope for point and shoot cameras and a generation of photographers will learn that people don't always have to pose and say cheese

aaykay

Are these not just a bit warmed over versions of existing models ?  Why all the hoopla ?  The lenses are of course new but that is all that I find of ANY interest in this announcement.  A bit of a yawner really, as far as I am concerned.  Sorry.

JimU

• http://

Are these not just a bit warmed over versions of existing models ?  Why all the hoopla ?  The lenses are of course new but that is all that I find of ANY interest in this announcement.  A bit of a yawner really, as far as I am concerned.  Sorry.

I agree.  I recently got the pany 14/2.5 for ~$300.  a 12/2 would be nice, but not for double the cost.

stever

aaykay - you think useble autofocus is a yawn?

John Camp

Are these not just a bit warmed over versions of existing models ?

No. You should try reading about them.

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz

There's a highly regarded clip-on EVF, and an update to that coming out as well. There are persistent rumors about a "pro" MFT camera from Olympus, probably with built-in EVF, but I believe it is a year or more out. Panasonic is expected to release something exciting in the fall, we'll see.

I agree totally Eric. Sure, no viewfinder for a $200 point and shoot. But now they expect you to pay good $$ on a well thoughtout body and invest in good Oly glass and then hold your camera at arms length like a steering wheel on a car and somehow take good shots.

Not for me!

feppe

They are incremental upgrades to their existing line, although the smallest (E-PM1) is quite an exciting camera as it's tiny but has the same sensor and image processing as the bigger ones. MFT is a new format, and Olympus (and Panasonic) are figuring out what the market wants - and the users are figuring out what they want.

The main problem these days is that people are expecting camera makers to come out with a revolutionary camera every year. This is of course not a reasonable expectation, even in the digital age.

I agree.  I recently got the pany 14/2.5 for ~$300.  a 12/2 would be nice, but not for double the cost.

The 12mm is a f/2.0 which is very fast, supposedly outstanding image and build quality, which would explain the cost. There's a 9-18mm zoom from Olympus, but the lower cost gets you a slower lens with poorer image and build quality.

aaykay

They are incremental upgrades to their existing line, although the smallest (E-PM1) is quite an exciting camera as it's tiny but has the same sensor and image processing as the bigger ones. MFT is a new format, and Olympus (and Panasonic) are figuring out what the market wants - and the users are figuring out what they want.

Oh, I agree on the size thing.  And I am waiting for that market to shake out and mature.  See what Sony would do with their upcoming NEX7 (typically, a "7" designated product is their semipro-grade APS-C model) and their announced lenses, before flipping the switch on any of these.

I almost purchased a Panasonic GH1 a while back, but decided to wait and I am glad I did.  I did purchase the Sony NEX5 (subsequently sold off), but even though the size was small, I think that line needs more time to fill out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up