Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: P30+ PhaseOne 645 AF and low light pics: what lens?  (Read 3265 times)

VitOne

P30+ PhaseOne 645 AF and low light pics: what lens?
« on: June 22, 2011, 06:32:02 pm »

I have been asked for some pics with "good bokeh", from events like jazz and other stuff.
They need 30Mpx files and I read that the P30+ is a good high-ISO back (probabily the best).
Ok. My question is this: what lens do you suggest to use? I am new to MF and I really don't know where to look.
I found that the fastest lens on the 645 is the 80mm 1.9 and I was thinkiing about buying it. Can someone share some information? Do you know how many version of this lens have been made? Is it a good combo with the P30+?
I hope that I didn't write too many silly things. Thanks for help!

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: P30+ PhaseOne 645 AF and low light pics: what lens?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 09:54:50 pm »

Don't limit yourself to thinking about the lens.

A good monopod can be very light/portable and will add 1-3 stops of camera-shake reduction to your system (wide range I know, but it depends on you, the camera type, etc etc).

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Jozef Zajaz

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 07:46:34 pm »

High iso + p30+ not so good idea. I've done iso 800 with mine looks acceptable. But you would get better bokeh and better looking pictures with the 5dmk2 + 85m 1,2L at iso 3200.

And if they need 30mpixels in "low light" you need to light that scene.

Jozef Zajaz

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 07:47:16 pm »

I have been asked for some pics with "good bokeh", from events like jazz and other stuff.
They need 30Mpx files and I read that the P30+ is a good high-ISO back (probabily the best).
Ok. My question is this: what lens do you suggest to use? I am new to MF and I really don't know where to look.
I found that the fastest lens on the 645 is the 80mm 1.9 and I was thinkiing about buying it. Can someone share some information? Do you know how many version of this lens have been made? Is it a good combo with the P30+?

Also the new iq backs outperforms the p30+ in high iso.

i've shot a couple of concerts and i know it can be pretty dark.

VitOne

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 05:28:29 pm »

Thanks for the answers to all.

I already use various Canon and Nikon cameras, and I use the Canon 85 1.2 and the 200 2.0 as "main lenses" for what I do. I am happy with this cameras and I am not searching something better in terms of quality.

I had the opportunity to get the P30+ at a "good" price so now I own this back, I have the possibility to use the P65+ and probably the new IQ backs, but not at the moment.

I should make a more clear question: I need to know if the 80mm 1.9 is a good lens to use wide-open with the P30+ or not. This is the point. Iā€™d like to know if anybody has tested or used the 80 1.9 with a digital back and how well it performs in low light.

I will work with the 5DMk2 and the 85 1.2, I have been asked to use "medium format" (because sometimes the fact that you are using medium format makes you a better photographer, this is not my opinion, but many clients think that way).

mediumcool

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 11:54:00 pm »

FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool

amsp

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 07:36:42 am »

I absolutely love the creaminess of the 80mm f/1.9, I just did this quick test to try out the high ISO capabilities with the latest version of C1.
P25 Hand held at 800 ISO, 80mm f/1.9 and 1/30th, slight editing and grain added in Photoshop.

Link to larger size

« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 07:41:00 am by amsp »

Conner999

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 08:58:49 am »

I actually use the 80/1.9 on dslrs with an adapter and love it. Surprisingly sharp wide open, sharpens up VERY nicely starting 1 step down and great bokeh (for me). Would only get better in that regard on a MFDB. Use quite a bit of M645 glass on SLRs as love the sharp but lower contrast and nice tonality of the lenses.

There are two versions. The older C version (all metal body, silver ring) are older coatings. The more rare later N version has revised coatings, more plastic, no silver ring. They are equally sharp, etc but the C has lower contrast, the N slightly higher contrast and a bit more veiling flare resistent. I've owned both and no strong prefer either way.

Have N version now and MIGHT sell it (as well as my M645 200/2.8 APO) as need more AF glass, but be warned, the prices on the 80/1.9, especially the N and particularily the 200 APO have skyrocketed in the last year or so. Don't know if from more MFDB users, use by DSLR players (they are talked up quite a bit on various forums) or HDSLR video users, but if you find good copies of either at a price you take tolerate, don't hesitate.

Frank Doorhof would also be a good one to PM on the subject of the 80/1.9 on a back.

http://www.doorhof.nl/forum/index.php?topic=1390.0
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 09:01:53 am by Conner999 »

haring

• http://www.haringphotography.com
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 01:50:39 pm »

- Get the 800 1.9 OR
- Nikon D3s with 85mm 1.4 or any Nikon fast lens.
- Canon 5D is a good option with a 1.2 lens.

If the light is extremely low you may want to get the Canon 50mm 1.0(!).
Pages: [1]   Go Up