Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie : Calibrating Monitor and Printer  (Read 6395 times)

Leica007

Newbie : Calibrating Monitor and Printer
« on: June 21, 2011, 10:34:27 am »

I have been using commercial, professional printing services so far. Now, I am planning to take a plunge in home printing.

I plan to buy an Epson 3880 printer and either iMac 2011 or NEC multisync monitor, and use Ilford Gold Silk Fibre and Canson Baryta Photo / Platine Rag papers. I need a calibration system to calibrate both the monitor and printer (and paper).

I have read the LuLa forum discussions on calibration devices and software. Frankly, after reading all this, I am quite confused.

My earlier brainwashed-by-marketing-mind was set on ColorMunki. Now, I have realised that there might be other better, even cheaper, options available.

Can you please enlighten me on these options? Many thanks.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: Newbie : Calibrating Monitor and Printer
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 11:31:59 am »

If you get a NEC SpectraView enabled monitor, you cannot go wrong with the package that they sell which includes the software and colorimeter.  It will give you reliable profiles of your monitor that you can customize based on the viewing conditions where your computer and printer are set up.  If you plan on only using one particular paper the most cost effective approach is to have a profile made rather than relying on the manufacturer's profile.  I know in the case of Ilford Gold Fiber Silk that the profile on the Ilford website for the 3880 is really not good; I don't have any experience with the Canson profiles as I just did my own Platine Rag profile last week.  In addition the IGFS and Canson Baryta Photo papers are pretty much the same paper.

Leica007

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 11:48:50 am »

Thank you very much for the reply.

How good is the result from Spyder 3 Express puck with ColorEyes Pro / Basiccolor software ?

Or Spyder 3 Express puck with Argyll CMS?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 11:51:03 am by Leica007 »

AFairley

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 12:04:27 pm »

As long as you are printing on well-known papers, the canned profiles for the Epson should work well enough so that you won't need to to create your own (and incur the expense of the hardware to do it).

As to monitor profiling, I use the Spyder 3 witht the Datacolor software and it works fine for me.  There are better quality packages out there, the issue is whether the marginal cost is worth it for you at the level you are working at.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 12:26:03 pm »

If you get a SpectraView II you want to use its software, not Basiccolor (unless you are using the non US version that does indeed ship with the SpectraView).

You can use your ColorMunki for calibration of the SpectraView, its supported and of course use it to make custom paper profiles.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 03:17:13 pm »

Thank you very much for the reply.

How good is the result from Spyder 3 Express puck with ColorEyes Pro / Basiccolor software ?

Or Spyder 3 Express puck with Argyll CMS?
I am using Argyll now for both monitor and print calibration.  I can't give you any advice on the Spyder 3 since I don't have access to it.  I use the NEC sourced X-Rite puck for calibration of my monitor as it is tuned for wide gamut monitors.

howardm

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 04:18:08 pm »

Andrew,

Can you please expand on your statement?  I use the Munki along w/ BasICColor on my PA241W

"If you get a SpectraView II you want to use its software, not Basiccolor (unless you are using the non US version that does indeed ship with the SpectraView). "

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 04:22:00 pm »

Can you please expand on your statement?  I use the Munki along w/ BasICColor on my PA241W
"If you get a SpectraView II you want to use its software, not Basiccolor (unless you are using the non US version that does indeed ship with the SpectraView). "

In Europe, BasICColor has a ‘version’ that ships for the SpectraView that takes advantage of its internal calibration routines. Its part of the SpectraView package and works as it should with that panel. In the US, the SpectraView II software provides this functionality. You want to run the software designed for this panel. IOW, if you were in the US and purchased BasICColor (NOT the one built for the SpectraView), you’d be doing yourself a disservice and not taking full control of the calibration process.

howardm

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 04:25:00 pm »

The BasICColor Display software available to me in the USA *does* directly manipulate the panel hardware.  It isn't a video card lookup table adjuster.   Spectraview available in Europe *is* rebadged OEM'd BasICColor s/w.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 04:29:38 pm »

The BasICColor Display software available to me in the USA *does* directly manipulate the panel hardware.  It isn't a video card lookup table adjuster.   Spectraview available in Europe *is* rebadged OEM'd BasICColor s/w.

Correct - there's virtually no difference between basICColor display and Spectraview profiler (that's shiped with NEC displays in EU) - apart from the GUI look.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 04:37:08 pm »

The BasICColor Display software available to me in the USA *does* directly manipulate the panel hardware. 

As can a software product that has DDC control (and how much or well it can do so is questionable).
Does BasICColor US support ColorComp? Does it drive all the NEC routines?

there's virtually no difference between basICColor display and Spectraview profiler
Well for one, its $140 (for one seed) while SpectraView, which we know fully drives the entire panel suite is $89.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 05:35:20 pm »

Well for one, its $140 (for one seed) while SpectraView, which we know fully drives the entire panel suite is $89.

To clarify - I didn't mean "SpectraView II".
In EU "basICColor display" is shipped with NEC Spectraview displays, rebadged as "SpectraView Profiler".

So there's:
- US SpectraView II (latest rev 1.1.07)
- EU basICColor profiler aka SpectraView Profiler (latest rev 4.2.5)
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

howardm

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 10:10:44 am »

BasICColor doesn't do ColorComp but the free NEC MultiProfiler software does.  Between those 2 s/w, I think most everything is covered (except for the Visual Match function).  I've looked through the Spectraview s/w's user manual and do not see anything critically missing from BasICColor.  There are some people who need more flexibility than a pure -SV solution w/o purchasing multiple sensor & s/w packages, esp. if this is a hobby, and not a livelihood

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 10:22:24 am »

BasICColor doesn't do ColorComp but the free NEC MultiProfiler software does.  Between those 2 s/w, I think most everything is covered (except for the Visual Match function).  I've looked through the Spectraview s/w's user manual and do not see anything critically missing from BasICColor.  There are some people who need more flexibility than a pure -SV solution w/o purchasing multiple sensor & s/w packages, esp. if this is a hobby, and not a livelihood

Depends on your definition of critical or why anyone would spend more to boot. So does it support the NEC branded colorimeter? Or the ability to average low luminance measurements like one can in SpectraView? Or the Use Auto Luminance (if supported) option? I can’t fathom why anyone buying the NEC product would not use the software created by NEC to take full advantage of its architecture and pay less as well.

kevk

• Kevin Kucks Photography
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 09:11:18 pm »

Hi Leica007,
As you have obviously experienced, analysis paralysis can be a real problem in this area. Too many options and combinations and variations in cost.
I'm happy with my ColorMunki for screen and printer profiling. And I'm happy that I finally made a decision and did it - at last I am happy with my prints!

Kevin

Leica007

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 03:23:47 pm »

analysis paralysis
;D

Thank you all for responding to the query.

I am still trying to figure out a cheaper but good option, as I don't sell my photos - just gift those to others and hang a few on my walls.

If an open source/shareware is good enough/better software, then I think it makes sense to use it.

The question remains: with which spectrometer/colorimeter?

Luca Ragogna

• PicFoundry
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 03:33:49 pm »

I bought a Colormunki brand new from an eBay reseller. It's in perfect working condition with full warrantee and it cost about half what I would have paid in a camera store. It does a VERY nice job profiling my monitor and printer. So, if you're looking for a cheaper option maybe just look for a better price.  :)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2011, 09:24:40 am »

Excellent advice. Get good equipment as you can afford and then LEARN TO USE IT! You are much more likely to progress as a photographer is you really learn to use what you have as opposed to always seeking out the latest and greatest camera/lens/gadget/program. You never really understand your tools if you do that.

walter.sk

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2011, 01:47:54 pm »

Or the Use Auto Luminance (if supported) option?
I've been using SpectraViewII on my NEC 3090, and have not checked Use Auto Luminance in the preferences because I thought that function would actually be problematic.  I guess I don't fully understand what it does.  Am I correct in assuming you mean for it to be turned on when I calibrate/profile the monitor?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2011, 02:22:59 pm »

I keep it on yes.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up