Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Fashion Photography Fallacies  (Read 18327 times)

BenjaminKanarek

Fashion Photography Fallacies
« on: June 12, 2011, 04:06:17 am »

I have been asked on many occasions about how one might embark on to the rocky road of the "Phashion" business.  I discussed this topic from an academic perspective in one of my earlier essays.  However, I feel compelled to discuss some of the "Phalasies" associated with breaking in to the "Biz".

Do you have to be a good photographer to break in to the "Biz"?

The answer in an unequivocal NO!  It hasn't so much to do with talent, but with attitude, panache, perspective and audacity.  How you perceive and translate the social fabric (no pun intended) in to imagery is a very important part of the process.

Do you need to be good technically to succeed?

Again, the answer is a very adamant NO!!!  As any photographer can ally themselves with a good post production company or individual, getting your images to look polished or really unpolished is not difficult.  When I shot with film and photoshop was not as yet in the mainstream and in it's infancy, I actually had to get it right from the get go.  If not, I wouldn't get past first base.

Can I get the job once my Portfolio is ready?

What is ready?  Actually the answer is, it depends. Unfortunately having a Great Book, will not do the trick.  Networking is one of the most important aspects of getting a gig.  Knowing the appropriate person in the right position to give you an opportunity is essential.  Also knowing who not to ask is as important as knowing who to ask.  If you did not know that going to the Art Director shows your naivety by not knowing that it would have been better to see the Editor for a specific magazine, that alone can ruin your chances of getting in to the circle.  The inverse also applies in other cases.  Going to see the Editor can really piss off the Art Director. They may think that you were trying to circumvent their authority.  It is a very political business in that respect.  Do your research and find out who can really make the decision.  It is often more than just one person.  But none the less do you HOMEWORK.

To succeed, do you need to be in the major centers?

The answer is YES!

If you are not in New York, Paris, London, Milan, Los Angeles or Tokyo and in some cases, Madrid, Sao Paulo, Chicago, Munich, Miami, Toronto, Berlin and Moscow, best to reconsider your goals. Be ready to pack your bags and prepare yourself for a fun ride.

Do I need "Pro Gear" to break in to the business?

NO, NO and NO.  Work with what you have and when you get the job, the client will pay for the rental of anything you might need to accomplish the completion of the project.  I don't have a studio.  I have some flash gear for my own personal work and to experiment with. In all cases, the client has paid  and will do so for all of the technical support costs.  I just have to bring myself to the shoot.  I can bring an assistant or use the assistants available at the studio. If I want to use my gear and it is appropriate to get the job done, I will do so.  It is You and not your gear that they are hiring.

http://www.benjaminkanarekblog.com/2009/11/29/phashion-photographer-phalasies/

pschefz

Re: Fashion Photography Fallacies
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 07:11:44 pm »

do you realize that one has to go through a 30sec(!) albertsons ad before the behind the scenes videos are starting to play?
schefz.com
artloch.com

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 09:32:13 pm »

Benjamin: You are one of a kind as a photographer and as a contributor. How do you manage with your time?
Best regards
Eduardo

uaiomex

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 08:31:18 pm »

Never mind!  :D

Benjamin: You are one of a kind as a photographer and as a contributor. How do you manage with your time?
Best regards
Eduardo

fredjeang

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 12:29:06 pm »

If you are not in New York, Paris, London, Milan, Los Angeles or Tokyo and in some cases, Madrid, Sao Paulo, Chicago, Munich, Miami, Toronto, Berlin and Moscow, best to reconsider your goals. Be ready to pack your bags and prepare yourself for a fun ride.

...Madrid? for fashion?  :o  :o  :o

? Recuenco told me that 9999999% of his jobs are elswhere than Spain. The fashion scene here is a sweet joke. There is nothing. I'm living here and fully involved into it and beleive me, if you want to make a carrier in fashion don't choose Madrid.

Fashion is NY, Paris, Milan and Toyo and Berlin to some extend.
Moscow and Miami are for the mafia-red necks-new rich-vulgar fashion
Sao paulo is just emerging

but I would put out of your list Chicago, Munich, Toronto, and Madrid.

quismond

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 04:00:06 pm »

...Madrid? for fashion?  :o  :o  :o

? Recuenco told me that 9999999% of his jobs are elswhere than Spain. The fashion scene here is a sweet joke. There is nothing. I'm living here and fully involved into it and beleive me, if you want to make a carrier in fashion don't choose Madrid.

but I would put out of your list Chicago, Munich, Toronto, and Madrid.

Benjamin says "in some cases" and it used to be like this years ago. Nowadays almost everything connected with photography is dead or almost dead, not just fashion.
People here believe that photos are (or must be) for free or simply don't pay afterwards (that is if you can get a "paid" job).
If you are lucky enough, you can get your money or a part of it (after negotiations) some months/years later.
I have ex-photographers friends that now are working as taxi-drivers or similar... They told me it's easier for them to sleep at night now.

Regards.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 08:36:51 pm by quismond »

uaiomex

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 08:47:42 pm »

Same here. I've been looking lately for another way of living to put photography as a secondary income. Every year it gets tougher to get nice jobs or well paid. Here, it was always grossly underpaid but now with digital and free "training" online it seems everybody can be a pro photographer these days. There are many young photographers making a living with minimal gear, minimal training but able to deliver what the customers want. That is, documentation of an event from every possible angle. If the pic is in focus, it's all right. I call it the mp3 syndrome. Of course, there are a few young guys that really deliver too.
Eduardo

Benjamin says "in some cases" and it used to be like this years ago. Nowadays almost everything connected with photography is dead or almost dead, not just fashion.
People here believe that photos are (or must be) for free or simply don't pay afterwards (that is if you can get a "paid" job).
If you are lucky enough, you can get your money or a part of it (after negotiations) some months/years later.
I have ex-photographers friends that now are working as taxi-drivers or similar... They told me it's easier for them to sleep at night now.

Regards.

BenjaminKanarek

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 07:43:29 pm »

This business is getting tougher and tougher. The criteria for survival is most certainly NOT talent!

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 07:52:57 am »

I've learned after all of the pains you all have noted that talent does work, but no, it's not the magic bullet.  It's hard road because you have to really be better than your competition, and then you have to market yourself better also. Horrible road for photography these days. For fashion, I can see it differently too because of what Benjamin said, but unless your good, you're not going to work. If you're already working but shitty, then you may continue to work. But try that crap now. Everyone is a "photographer."  That doesn't mean if you are good, you will work more than someone who is worse, since that person may be better at the social aspect than you are. Indeed, that's true and always has been. I'm always amazed at many working "photographers," especially when I see their crappy work.

Of course "high fashion" is a different social issue completely from commercial stuff. I think the general idea is that if you think you can become the best photographer out there and get "picked up" in the fashion industry, you're just a little naive bud. The old adage, "it's not what you know but who you know" goes double for High Fashion" or "High Anything." But isn't it like that everywhere?

To underscore what Benjamin said, I've met and know many "photographers" who don't know the first thing about light or anything else. But they are really good socialites, and they think they're good. So people believe them.

I haven't posted in a long time here at LL so I'll leave you with something recent--not my best work, but at least recent.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 08:28:35 am by dwdallam »

quismond

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 02:46:22 pm »

This business is getting tougher and tougher. The criteria for survival is most certainly NOT talent!

Well, is another kind of "talent" what you need today: Marketing, selling your work and yourself with a pseudo-intellectual discourse, no matter how mediocre your photography can be.

Especially the Fine Art market (with a few exceptions) is a huge joke these days.

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 11:46:52 pm »

And here I was thinking that the Fine Art market was probably the last area where talent was first.Wouldn't it be nice is talent was first?

uaiomex

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 06:07:30 pm »

Oh Rupert, what have you done to our world!

And here I was thinking that the Fine Art market was probably the last area where talent was first.Wouldn't it be nice is talent was first?

LKaven

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 08:21:39 pm »

Anyone remember the playwright/screenwriter Dennis Potter?  When he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, he nicknamed the malignant tumor Rupert.  The last works he wrote during that period concern a diseased writer whose cryogenically-preserved head is exploited by a vast media empire, to see who can extract his prurient memories for public entertainment purposes.  The two mini-series are called _Karaoke_ and _Cold Lazarus_, but they are exceedingly hard to get.

EinstStein

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 01:18:39 am »

If your portrait left out an arm or a leg out of the view, that's bad.
But if your portrait left out an eye or an ear or te whole head, that's fashion.

To be a fashion photographer, you shouldn't learn how to feel good about these,
but you should always do it intuitively. 

Craig Murphy

• http://www.murphyphotography.com
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 10:55:32 am »

I guess if you are good at cheek kissing (faces and asses) and blah blah blah then you can make it in the fashion world.?
CMurph

LKaven

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2011, 05:51:53 pm »

I guess if you are good at cheek kissing (faces and asses) and blah blah blah then you can make it in the fashion world.?
Everything I never needed to know I learned from Markus Klinko on "Double Exposure".  :-)

"That's Totally Hoohhhht!"  "Mwa, mwa!" 

(does Pacino) First you get the camera, then you get the money (and the DB9), then you get the women.

uaiomex

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2011, 11:07:45 pm »

The James Bond of photographers? Then, he should be driving an Aston Martin not a Jaguar. LOL!
Eduardo

Everything I never needed to know I learned from Markus Klinko on "Double Exposure".  :-)

"That's Totally Hoohhhht!"  "Mwa, mwa!" 

(does Pacino) First you get the camera, then you get the money (and the DB9), then you get the women.

LKaven

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2011, 02:20:36 pm »

Be very suspicious of the above post, and especially the embedded links.  [Post containing malware link removed now apparently by moderator.]
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 03:00:04 pm by LKaven »

Anthony.Ralph

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2011, 12:32:27 pm »

Remember the two series well. Clever, darkly comic satire...

We all miss Denis Potter's talent.

Anthony.

famalam

• London Headshots
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 07:22:35 pm »

To make it in fashion you have to master the air kiss. The rest will follow.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up