Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Arca-Swiss D4 and D4m available for order  (Read 3469 times)

IsamuM

Arca-Swiss D4 and D4m available for order
« on: May 29, 2011, 04:28:50 am »

The Arca Swiss D4 and D4m are finally available at the link below:

http://www.arca-shop.de/Tripod-head/ARCA-SWISS-d4:::102_190.html

To make things difficult for users, Arca Swiss has been introducing a new proprietary clamp called the "MonoballFix." The MonoballFix IS NOT compatible with the de facto "Arca Swiss" plates that we have come to know and love. It uses an incompatible, narrower clamp, so you will probably want to avoid it. You will want the "Quick set device classic" which uses a conventional clamp or the "Flip-lock" which uses a lever (but which I feel is not very user friendly).

24x36

Re: Arca-Swiss D4 and D4m available for order
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 10:45:58 pm »

I wish they'd make a leveling base big enough for their B-2/Z-2 non-ball heads.

I finally found one (it's new, and the ONLY one that is big enough that I could find) that is on order, but the jury's still out on what the quality will be like.

jgbowerman

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 09:58:45 am »

IsamuM, what about the flip lock is it you dislike? I currently use a BH-40 with the flip lock and I like it because it is quicker than the alternative, it never needs adjusting. Do you know if the d4 flip lock is any different from that used on the BH-40? The BH-40 has never met my expectations... not user-friendly when it comes to precision movements and very exasperating when my camera flops over on occasion! I also look forward to having built-in leveling bubbles.

Rod.Klukas

• http://www.rodklukas.com
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 11:42:15 am »

To all:
Monoball fix was designed to make use of a series of smaller plates for the smaller cameras which are now available.  Yes, when you have a 'Monoball Fix', QR on your head it does not take the older classic plates.  However you can order the standard 'Quickset device' on any of the new heads, which can use both the new series and the classic plates as well.  So you lose nothing in terms of having to replace plates if you are already invested in a lot of classic plates, and you gain use of the newer series smaller plates for any of your smaller cameras.  The Quickset device is now, and has been for several years, available in either knob lock, now also with a smaller knob, or flip-lok clamps.  So both styles of clamps are still available.
It is an elegant upgrade for our excellent heads in my opinion without making classic quick set user's plates obsolete.
BTW the new heads such as PO, P1, C1 cube, and Z heads with top pan, actually do not need a leveling base as the pan device being on top will be level after leveling the camera.  This is of course true of our new D4 heads as well.
Rod Klukas
US Representative Arca-Swiss
Pages: [1]   Go Up