Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IQ180 with Schneider 35 XL  (Read 1973 times)

tashley

IQ180 with Schneider 35 XL
« on: May 25, 2011, 06:16:20 am »

Hi Guys and Gals,

I am about to upgrade from P65+ to IQ180 but there are a number of concerns being expressed over at GetDPI that even with Capture One LCC corrections, some of the wider Schneiders give shifts and casts which are not fully corrected on the IQ180 due to the proximity of the rear of the lens to the sensor.

No one has yet posted bout the 35XL, which I use a lot on my Cambo Wide RS, though I note that in Mark Dubovoy's recent review here on Lula, he posts images from the 35XL and doesn't seem to have any complaints.

Please, if anyone has any experience here, I'd love to know: I sort of think that if there IS a problem I will cancel the upgrade and probably get out of MF altogether, selling my fairly wide range of Phase stuff and the Cambo/Schneider gear too.... and just get some Canon TS glass on my 5DII until the next generation of high end Canon/Nikon DSLRs with around 30mp come out.

Thanks in advance

Tim

buckshot

Re: IQ180 with Schneider 35 XL
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 11:53:05 am »

I think I read somehwere in another thread that CI are going to run some tests with Schneider optics on the IQ backs - would definitely be worth hanging on to see what they find out.

Personally - unless it's absolutely critical - I wouldn't buy v1.0 of anything - be it a piece of software or a $40k digital back.

gazwas

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 12:05:50 pm »

Hi Tim. I too have been following the Schneider lens issues on getDPI as I am too considering the upgrade fro P65+ to IQ180.

May I ask why if you can't have an IQ back why would you sell up all you MF gear for a Canon/Nikon? Is the P65+ that bad for you? I think the P65+ is a wonderful back and delivers remarkable results on a tech camera.

I think its a given that the 35XL will have greater colour cast and banding issue than the 43XL but to how much and how correctable they are is unknown at the moment. I suggest staying tuned for Doug's report.
trying to think of something meaningful........ Err?

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 12:41:12 pm »

Hi Tim. I too have been following the Schneider lens issues on getDPI as I am too considering the upgrade fro P65+ to IQ180.

May I ask why if you can't have an IQ back why would you sell up all you MF gear for a Canon/Nikon? Is the P65+ that bad for you? I think the P65+ is a wonderful back and delivers remarkable results on a tech camera.

I think its a given that the 35XL will have greater colour cast and banding issue than the 43XL but to how much and how correctable they are is unknown at the moment. I suggest staying tuned for Doug's report.

In my experience with the 35mm XL and 80MP, 13mm on the long axis is about the maximum shift that is manageable in terms of maintaining good colours after the correction. Of course if you shoot on an overcast day with just grey skies then you can push it a bit more
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

tashley

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 02:04:09 pm »

In my experience with the 35mm XL and 80MP, 13mm on the long axis is about the maximum shift that is manageable in terms of maintaining good colours after the correction. Of course if you shoot on an overcast day with just grey skies then you can push it a bit more

Thanks, that is very useful information, much appreciated!

tashley

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 02:20:07 pm »

Sure!
I have felt for a long time now that I'd be selling up on the grounds that the usability issues of the system were more trouble than the increased image quality over a good DSLR or M9 were worth. Tiny screen, poor ability to judge focus etc, combined with my intense dislike of the legacy feel and barn door shutter/mirror of the DF body and general irritation with the LCC routine. All this in the light of upcoming improvements in DSLR world (the DR on the new sensors is great and the resolution is about to bump up a serious notch too!)

Then I saw the news of the IQ series and ummed and ahhed then placed an order. However I wasn't reckoning on new problems being introduced just as others were solved. If the Schneider (small, light, low distortion) isn't FULLY correctable then paying up even more to switch to the heavier, larger, more distorting Rodenstock seems to be the straw that breaks this camel's back!

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 03:16:58 pm »

We just completed acquisition of a test (specific to this issue) of the IQ180 with the 35XL.

It will likely be several days before we can post the test for download. Dave was just diagnosed with walking pneumonia, I have an appointment in an hour to test to see if I have bacterial meningitis (from a friend I visited in the hospital).

tashley

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 04:30:34 pm »

We just completed acquisition of a test (specific to this issue) of the IQ180 with the 35XL.

It will likely be several days before we can post the test for download. Dave was just diagnosed with walking pneumonia, I have an appointment in an hour to test to see if I have bacterial meningitis (from a friend I visited in the hospital).
Doug, I am so sorry to hear that for both of you, I hope you are clear and that Dave recovers quickly. Hospitals are dangerous places...
Pages: [1]   Go Up