Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon D 200  (Read 2005 times)

Marty Tannahill

Nikon D 200
« on: May 05, 2011, 03:08:05 pm »

When shooting on A mode on my D 200, when I choose the aperture (i.e. f-11),I sometimes get the LO warning indicating that I need to increase the iso setting or open up the aperture. I'm wondering why the camera won't automatically determine a longer exposure setting (time) and allow me to take the picture at my predetermined F-11 and iso 100. Is there a settiing on the camera I can use to allow me to do this? I hope I'm explaining this issue clearly enough. Thanks.
Marty

stamper

Re: Nikon D 200
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 04:17:43 am »

I am assuming that this is in low light? If the light is low you will have to raise the iso in order to get a shutter speed that is in sync with the aperture. It isn't a fault of your particular camera. All cameras would have the same problem. I also assume that the raising of iso will increase noise. If so a better camera would cope better with the noise. There isn't a solution that will please you. :'(

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 03:49:36 am »

I am assuming that this is in low light? If the light is low you will have to raise the iso in order to get a shutter speed that is in sync with the aperture. It isn't a fault of your particular camera. All cameras would have the same problem. I also assume that the raising of iso will increase noise. If so a better camera would cope better with the noise. There isn't a solution that will please you. :'(

Stamper's right: I also have a D200 that hasn't been used since the day I bought a D700.

I raised the ISO on the D200 once only when shooting a pic through the glass of our entrance lobby of a leaking drain below the roof; the file had so much noise I never went beyond ISO 100 again!

I'm sure others take these things much more seriously, but sticking the D700 into Auto ISO, choosing a set shutter speed and aperture when shooting in difficult lighting has, so far, given me pictures that leave me perfectly happy. Of course, these shots are all just for fun with no commercial responsibilities attached, so maybe I'm actually learning to enjoy photography again!

; -)

Rob C

stamper

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 03:53:45 am »

+1 for the Auto Iso. ;D

mouse

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 04:56:54 pm »

stamper may well be right, but something sounds a bit fishy.

If I remember ccorrectly the d200 shutter speed range extends to 30 sec.  If your aperture is set at f/11 and a 30 sec. exposure still gives a LO warning, I would check to see if the lens cap has been removed.

There may be a setting somewhere in the menus that sets a limit for shutter speed; I know there is a setting for a lower limit to shutter speed when you are using flash.

Try setting the camera in M mode.  Set aperture to f/11 and see if you can get the meter to center by adjusting the shutter speed.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 05:37:00 pm »

You might get a LO warning when exposure time is greater than 30 sec. or the light is lower than the minimum metering range (EV0 - EV20 @ ISO 100). This is not only with the D200.

If you used ISO 100, then f/11 and 30sec is EV 2, so you need to do any of the following:

- Change ISO
- Change to Manual and use B (will require external metering or test exposures)
- Open the diaphragm
Pages: [1]   Go Up