Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Both Sides Now - The Teton Crest Trail  (Read 1276 times)

dreed

Both Sides Now - The Teton Crest Trail
« on: May 09, 2011, 05:15:37 am »

Love the story and pics! At least to me, this has been the most interesting one in the series thus far. Hope it continues to get better!

mhecker*

• Contributor
    • http://www.wyofoto.com
Re: Both Sides Now - The Teton Crest Trail
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 01:01:33 pm »

Glad you liked it.  :)

I will do more articles in the future on out of the way places.
Even though I'm 60, I still backpack to fairly remote locations.

I didn't know if people would be interested in articles about locations that they couldn't drive to.
I wonder if more Lula readers feel as you do?

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 01:43:29 pm »

I for one appreciate them!

There is a story which 'may' be true about the owner of an RV, towing a boat trailer, in AZ if I remember correctly, who stopped at the Ranger station and asked the person on duty why the indians built their ruins so far from the highway... but hey, you can't please everyone!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

dreed

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 05:19:46 am »

Articles like this one make a trip to the Tetons worthwhile and I wish I had of had this information when I went a couple of years ago. Well, that and some good weather.

Why?

Because it makes spending the entire day there worthwhile. Get up, do a shoot along the river, hike up to Solitude Lake and back, followed by collapsing in bed, only to wake up early the next day and repeat but with different destinations.

Earlier in the year I came across some pictures for Mt Assiniboine trail. Jaw dropping stuff *and* you won't see what's there to be seen if you won't walk more than 50 yards from the car. Something else that I wish I'd known was there before.

On the easier side, I was at Glacier National Park last August. Whilst the drive up the "Going To The Sun Road" is very pretty, when you get out of the car and start walking a mile or two or for the entire day, the landscape explodes with possibilities that you just don't get from the car.

Now maybe if you're taking photography tutorials, you do a morning thing and then spend all day doing class/critique/technique - but not when you're on a "photography" holiday.

I think this website would be doing itself a huge disservice if it didn't cover more material such has been presented with this topic. Whilst there's been articles on packing cameras for flights, which cases and weights, there's been nothing that explores what it means to hike for 12 hours at 8000' up (last year I did a couple of walks at Mineral King - Sequoia National Park) that started at around 8000' and climbed up to over 11,000' and back in a day. Regardless of how good any manufactures primes are or how sharp a L zoom is, do you want to carry extra pounds of glass and metal or food and water?

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 12:16:49 pm »

Articles of this calibre and generosity are the very definition for me of this good and much appreciated harbor "Luminous Landscape"  ...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 12:18:25 pm by Patricia Sheley »
A common woman~
Pages: [1]   Go Up