Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice needed for RoundTheWorld camera kit  (Read 5423 times)

Viridian

Advice needed for RoundTheWorld camera kit
« on: June 19, 2011, 05:50:16 pm »

Hi All,

My family and I plan to travel around the world beginning in Spring, 2012. In anticipation of that trip I would really like to sort out what sort of camera gear to take along. I've really enjoyed this site and have learned a lot over the years in reading each new entry of Michael's.

Before getting into my specific questions I thought it might help to give just a little bit of background. I began with a D70 and have owned since then a D80, Canon 40D, Pentax K10D and currently a Canon 5D. My shooting style tends to be dictated by shooting my young family and would characterize my style as "photojournalistic" if I were pressed. I have also decided to submit myself to the discipline of almost entirely shooting one focal length and so my Canon 35/2 is almost always attached to the 5D.

My 5D, 35/2 has been a great and cheap full frame combination. I like shooting available light and am a real fan of creamy bokeh and careful use of selective focus.

So, my question revolves around Which ONE camera, ONE lens(35mmEquiv) combo should I get?. My wife currently has a Sony SLT55 with zoom lens so it is not as if I am COMPLETELY limiting myself to one focal length. I can always grab her camera.

The following factors need to be considered as far as I can see:

1. Weight. Of course with 4 small kids I will not want to be carrying a large kit. This is actually fairly important to me. Herding my family through museums and snapping pics at the same time....
2. Size. Kind of goes along with number 1.
3. Weather sealing. Of course that would be the best. Not essential though.

The options that I can see right now:
APS-C cameras:
1. Fuji X100. If it was all that it should be then there really wouldn't be a question. This would be "IT". Perfect fast lens. But apparently there enough problems with this camera that it is not a slam dunk.
2. Pentax K5. I love the idea of this camera. I really liked my K10D. The only problem is that Pentax does not have a fast 35mme lens available. Too bad. Small size and weather sealing would be great.
3. Another Sony SLT55, but this one to be paired with the Zeiss 24/2. I really like how my wife's camera shoots, and the addition of GPS metadata is cool. And the Zeiss seems to get really good reviews. Kind of leaning towards this one except for the fact that the camera absolutely eats through batteries as if they were candy.

FF cameras:
1. Keep my 5D and the 35/2. Ok, it's an option at any rate. Possibly just get the 35L and be done.
2. Canon 5DII and 35L. Wouldn't this be a nice combo? But FF is now bulky. And the 5DII still isn't weather sealed, is it?
3. Nikon D700 and 35/1.4G. Both camera and lens are weather sealed, but they are also quite bulky. No doubt a nice combo though.
4. Leica M8.2 with CV 28. Doesn't quite fit what I am familiar with, but I'm interested anyhow.

Any help in sorting through this question would certainly be appreciated. I know that there are people here who have gone through this sort of thing before.

Cheers,
Erik

« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 11:31:48 pm by Viridian »

fredjeang

Re: Advice needed for RoundTheWorld camera kit
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 11:03:52 am »

Hi Erik,

If serious weather seal and size is your concern, I'd go for the K5.

Remember that if your body's sealed, lenses have to be so, if not that makes no sense.

Pentax has 2 fast 35: http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-SMCP-FA-35mm-Lens-Case/dp/B00005ABC9 and http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-21987-35mm-Digital-cameras/dp/B0042RTQPC/ref=dp_cp_ob_p_title_0

but I don't have it clear inf you want a 35mm field on an aps or a 35mm on FF. Then you'd have to go http://www.pentaximaging.com/camera-lenses/smc_PENTAX_DA_Star_16-50mm_F2.8_ED_AL_(IF)_SDM/, it's very good and this one is sealed. Not so cheap but worth.

The 5D2 is a serious improvement over the 5D but the body's rather crap compared to the Pentax and the Nikon.

I wouldn't give too much credit on the weather seal unless you are going to sail or in extreme environment. In that case forget about the 5D2 and go for a second-hand 1D MK3 but then size...

Really, I would go K5 for your needs or Leica but it's gona be much more expensive or even those m4/3 Panasonics GF GH series.

The K5= no issues of any means, small, versatile, can shoot under harsh rain without prob, even under your shower, good IQ, discrete shutter. You just forget about it. It has no equivalent for the size.

Ps: if you decide to go Pentax and want to shoot videos, the Ks (KX K5) don't allow full control on video...that's what reviewers will say, no info from Pentax either. But...there is a way so set and use properlly the Pentaxes for video and obtaining stunning results, comparable if not better than the 5D2 in low light and having control of your parameters. Almost nobody knows. Mail me if you go that way.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 11:46:27 am by fredjeang »

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 05:41:36 pm »

Having travelled half way around the word I would have to question your thinking.

My two priorities would be weight and having as much coverage from wide to telephoto that I would be willing to carry. That would be zoom lenses covering from 24-200mm for me. I think that having one 35mm lens will result in lots of regrets when you return home.

Having returned from two weeks holidays travelling with 24-105mm and a 70-200mm lenses the thought of having just a 35mm lens would just be unthinkable.

Good luck, I think your wife will be handing her camera to you very often. Get her something like the Sony DT 16-105mm F3.5-5.6 and everything should be sweet. Then you can have your photographer's dreams and your traveller's realities.

Cheers,

Tom Brown

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 08:35:58 pm »

Agree with fredjeang, Pentax was my first thought as well.

One benefit for choosing a second SLT55 is that it can work as a backup for the other, and you can swap lenses and batteries with your wife as needed. Backup batteries will work on both cameras of course. This might be a huge benefit depending on how remote your destinations are, and an important one even in western countries. If your camera dies and you just can't capture the Sasquatch with a zoom lens, you could just use her camera with your lens :P

EgillBjarki

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 03:42:08 am »

I have the 5D Mark II and 35mm 1.4 L, and the lens is very bulky to say the least, how ever its a very good lens. My advice would be to keep the 5D and get the 35mm 2.0 or the 50mm 1.4. Last time I was traveling for a long time and had to really cut down on gear, I had the Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4 and a 85mm 1.8. I found my self using the 50mm almost all the time, really love that combo. 90% of these images are made with the D700 and 50mm prime.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 04:14:21 am »

We all enjoy finding excuses to buy new stuff. IMO, if there is nothing wrong with your current camera and lens, and if you are happy with the 35mm field of view, why waste money changing? Sure, you can get the 5DII, or the 35L, or both, but again, the 5D is still a very good FF camera, isnĀ“t it? And, for a FF camera, it is actually not that heavy, especially mated to the 35 f/2.

Now, of course you are free to do whatever you want, so once you make up your mind that you "need" a new camera and/or lens, fine, there are inumerous possibilities. IMO, for this trip of yours, it makes sense to:

1. Either stay with Canon, and upgrade within your comfort zone (same type of camera and focal lenght), or

2. Change systems so that you and your wife use the same brand, as a backup.

Again, and IMO, if you enjoy using primes, there is nothing better out there than the Pentx K5 and the Limited lenses, either the FA Limiteds, or the DA Limiteds. Sure, the DA Limiteds are not very fast, but they are fast enough, especially with the high ISO capabilities of the K5. A K5 plus the trio of DA Limiteds (15 f/4, 35 f/2.8, and 70 f/2.8) will fit in a small bag, and you hardly notice they are there.

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 11:35:49 am »

Hi,

I travelled round the world in 2003 with a Nikon F100 with 28-70 and 80-210. I only needed the tele for wildlife in Africa and on Kanguroo Island in Australia. In retrospect I am happy I used slide film for most of trip (this was before I stepped into digital), but I wish I would have travelled with a Mamiya 7 or the like for larger image size of slide.

My recommendations:

1) Based on above I would recommend you to go with the best you have or to upgrade camera for larger sensor or film size for technical improved image quality, but... be sure to learn the camera before your travels. A new camera will not necessarily lead to better images, albeit it might, but at least improved images qualities...

The best image quality is because it is a dream trip of a life time! I would rate that as more important than a stack of lenses...

2) It can be worthwhile to also read some books on photography in time before the trip. I can recommend books by John Shaw.

3) Attached is one of my best captures from that trip. I went alone so it was easier (more flexible), and it is highly worthwhile to wake up early for best light, as also to capture scenes in sweet light in afternoon. Light is everything is photography. My round the world travel for 2 1/2 months was my very epic venture into serious and advanced photography. I travelled seeing the world with the camera...  ::)

I hope above helps + Enjoy the travels!!! -- it is a travels to last your lifetime  ;)

Regards
Anders

P.S. another advise, back then the ticket itself was cheapest in Australia through Quantas (check their website, no idea if still is so). It easily saved me money flying there to buy it! Also, one thought you may wish to consider... cities are plentiful and all tend to look a tad similar (regardless your travel will take you through cities because airports in all world are at them)... the true treasures at least to me was the magnificent nature, and of course people along the way ...

nazdravanul

• Stefan Iacob - visual artist
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 12:17:48 pm »

I would not go around the world with just one lens. My minimal combo would probably be a 5d2 and a 35 L - 135 L. The 5d2 is a lot better weather sealed than your 5d2 and the extra resolution and high iso speed for available light shooting would totally make it worthwhile. I personally would favor a Zeiss 2 primes combo - a 35 1.4 and a 100 2 or 21 2.8 and 50 f2 - I really don't know which of the 2 setups :))) . Whatever you do, please put a quality  Circular Polarizer on your lens(es) before you leave, it's the one filter you shouldn't leave home without :).

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 02:08:49 pm »

Whatever you do, please put a quality  Circular Polarizer on your lens(es) before you leave, it's the one filter you shouldn't leave home without :).
Do you just shoot shop windows or something ?

I've not bothered with polarisers (except for shop windows and rock pools) since moving to digital 10 years ago.

tcphoto1

• http://www.tonyclarkphoto.com
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 02:28:59 pm »

If you are set on just one body and lens, I would carry a 5D2 and 35-70/2.8. Add another lens and I would chose the 200/2.8 for a longer reach and minimal weight.

nazdravanul

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 05:14:30 pm »

Do you just shoot shop windows or something ?

I've not bothered with polarisers (except for shop windows and rock pools) since moving to digital 10 years ago.

Well if you don't have foliage/grass/plants, skies and water in your compositions, or you really don't care how they turn out in your photographs, by any means please don't bother to use a polariser :)))

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 06:11:41 am »

Well if you don't have foliage/grass/plants, skies and water in your compositions, or you really don't care how they turn out in your photographs, by any means please don't bother to use a polariser :)))
Bizarre attitude. You probably like Photomatrix and Topaz too.

nazdravanul

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 06:53:12 am »

Bizarre attitude. You probably like Photomatrix and Topaz too.

I'm not sure if this is just condescendending or downright insulting.
I hate HDRzation and cheap Photoshop plugins. I don't see what that has to do with anything.  I was not suggesting the polarizer for some cheap effect, but for all sorts of practical / aesthetical considerations related to his trip conditions / gear.
If you want to continue , let's take it offline because we're really getting off topic.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 08:25:44 am »

On your trip I would take the Panasonic G2 (or now, G3) and their 14-45 and 45-200 mm lenses. You get 12 or 16 megapixels, image stabilization, and a wide zoom range (28-400 equiv) in a lightweight and compact package. The 2 lenses take the same filters, FWIW. Or, if you are set on one prime lens, their 20mm f/1.7. I have been very impressed with the quality of results from this gear and my Nikon D700 is seeing less and less use.

stever

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 06:45:34 pm »

you don't say what the end use of the images will be - on the web, hd slide show for friends and family - or some large prints

unless printing larger than 13x19 is important i'd recommend going lighter with lenses that will cover 24 to 400 equiv at a minimum.  a combination of gh2 with g2 or g3 for you wife with 4 lenses (you pick) would deal with most situations and provide backup if there's a problem with one camera

i've travelled to many places all over the world and generally use the 5D2 plus crop frame (now 7D) for backup and 1.6X with a 3 lens minimum selected for location - eg for narrow streets, buildings, etc. in Europe 17mm is none to wide - but unnecessary for Africa.  if you're going to travel on boats at all then you want a zoom to at least 400mm.  for general travel the 5D2 and 24-105 probably get 80% of the images - but i don't want to miss the remaining 20%.  i love the image quality, but it is a heavy!

i've had zero issues with weather sealing although i carry an op-tech rainsleeve, a uv filter, and zip-locks for bad weather.  i usually take a circular polarizer but don't often use it - it's certainly convenient to have lenses with the same filter thread - for lens caps as well

unless you have seriously limited photographic goals for the trip, i couldn't conceive of doing it with one prime
Pages: [1]   Go Up