Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon IPF 8300  (Read 4421 times)

deanwork

Canon IPF 8300
« on: April 21, 2011, 10:34:17 am »

Does anyone know what the going price of the IPF 8300 is currently ( like next week ) in the US?

In a related note, I'll ask again if anyone is deep into using the True Black and White software for this  unit? Surely someone is by now.

john

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Canon IPF 8300
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 10:37:18 am »

Does anyone know what the going price of the IPF 8300 is currently ( like next week ) in the US?

In a related note, I'll ask again if anyone is deep into using the True Black and White software for this  unit? Surely someone is by now.

john

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist.jsp&A=cart&Q=add&sku=682380&is=REG&addedTroughType=search&addedTroughValue=canon+ipf8300&q=1

USD 4395
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

deanwork

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 10:47:42 am »

I think B&H would be one of the most expensive retailers for printers?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 10:51:45 am »

I think B&H would be one of the most expensive retailers for printers?

Why? They are normally very competitive in their pricing of just about anything in their areas of concentration. One can of course do a net search for alternative outlets and their prices.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 12:20:09 pm »

Why? They are normally very competitive in their pricing of just about anything in their areas of concentration.
Not large format printers. ItSupplies currently has the 8300 for $3,889. Unfortunately there are no rebates being offered right now, so it's not quite as good of a deal has it has been in the past.
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

Darrel

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 12:36:08 pm »

I think Lexjet is $3299, maybe cheaper if you call it in with a salesman.  Cheap shipping.

MHMG

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 12:56:13 pm »

I hope to take a close look at TBW this summer when I have a little more time. I actually got a demo of it for my 8100, but never got around to trying it. John, not to rub salt in a wound, but I just picked up an 8300 a couple of weeks ago when Canon still had it's $1000 rebate going and LexJet threw in a free iPad 2.  I had reached a point with my 8100 where it needed 10 out of 12 new carts and even with the smaller 300 ml carts I was thus looking at nearly $1700 in ink costs. Since I was planning on buying an iPad 2 as a gift for my wife this year, (so add $500 there), and the $2300 price I paid after the Canon rebate means I basically got the 8300 printer for the cost of the inks I was about to purchase! 

Only downside to my theory is that I still want to keep my 8100 in service, so I'll have to still pay the ink toll one of these days to get my 8100 back on line! But from a logical perspective, I could have just scrapped it. It made no sense not to pass up the 8300 deal.

Just give it a little more time, and another sweet deal will probably come around the corner very soon. The Gillette razor blade model of selling inkjet inks is alive and well.

cheers,
Mark

Shark_II

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 02:22:17 pm »

Just give it a little more time, and another sweet deal will probably come around the corner very soon. The Gillette razor blade model of selling inkjet inks is alive and well.

And it will remain the sales technique of choice until there is more competition in the ink market.

Tom

deanwork

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 02:28:11 pm »

I think we've got good competition now. I think it was a brilliant move by Canon to sell these printers at cost. In one year they made a big dent in the 10 year lead by Epson in this art market, and with their speed and increased gamut they pretty much leap-frogged HP in the process. But I certainly wouldn't expect these huge rebates to continue. This is probably as sweet as it is going to get. They don't have a 60" model with this same configuration do they? If they did I'm afraid they'd take down Roland completely. That would be a shame as Rolands are so well made and so well designed.

john

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 03:32:56 pm »

This is probably as sweet as it is going to get. They don't have a 60" model with this same configuration do they? If they did I'm afraid they'd take down Roland completely. That would be a shame as Rolands are so well made and so well designed.

john

The iPF9100.
Rolands are no realistic alternatives anymore in the art + photography / water based ink sector. Roland is competing with Mutoh, Mimaki, HP, Epson and more in other segments of the printing market. The company produces a lot more than printers, for example Rapid prototyping could be more interesting than printing.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst

Dinkla Gallery Canvas Wrap Actions for Photoshop

http://www.pigment-print.com/dinklacanvaswraps/index.html

felix5616

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 04:29:02 pm »

How does the Canon 8300 handle thick papers with respect to head strikes?

deanwork

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 04:33:33 pm »

On the Canon website they mention that the black and gray inks are different on the IPF 9100 than the IPF 9000 model but they don't say anything about improved gamut of the color inks. That makes me wonder if they are not using the new Lucia inks on the big model and, if they were why wouldn't it be called the IPF 9300?

I haven't heard anyone talking about this printer on these forums.

john

Randy Carone

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 04:39:11 pm »

Roland's focus is on Solvent, Eco-Solvent, Packaging Prototype (with white and silver ink) and the UV LEC series that can print 3 dimensional clear on packaging prototypes. In the early days, Roland had the best Giclee (I apologize for using the word) printers on the market that were certified by Pantone to cover 93% or more of the Pantone colors. This was a Hexachrome printer that was one of the first to add Orange and Green, but they have priced themselves out of that market. Amazing printers and the current batch of printer/cutters are the best in that market segment.
Randy Carone

MHMG

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 05:47:01 pm »

On the Canon website they mention that the black and gray inks are different on the IPF 9100 than the IPF 9000 model but they don't say anything about improved gamut of the color inks. That makes me wonder if they are not using the new Lucia inks on the big model and, if they were why wouldn't it be called the IPF 9300?

john

Canon has made ink formulation changes to it's Lucia brand pigmented ink between the last three generations of iPF printers (X000, X100, and X300 series). X100 series improved bronzing and differential gloss over X000 series Lucia formulation with some changes to the photo gray inks, but no other colors changed. X300 series ink set got name modified slightly to "LUCIA EX", and Canon claims 20% more color gamut with LUCIA EX set plus more improvement in gloss, adhesion, and scratch resistance over X100 series printers. To get the increased color gamut, some of the colored inks obviously had to be modified. Because I now have all three generations of these printers in my lab, I plan on running a careful side-by-side longevity test on a few popular media. I'm really curious if Canon achieved the improved color gamut without giving up some light fastness. Red, green, and blue colors are not tested in the most widely cited industry-sponsored tests, so manufacturers know they can take a few more liberties with these colorants if they elect to do so.

mark
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 09:15:57 pm by MHMG »

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2011, 08:57:44 pm »

Looking forward to the results of your findings, Mark!  Thanks for that informative post.
-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2011, 02:36:40 am »

john

John, sorry I didn't understand that you referred to the ink set too. No, it has been quiet on a new 60" model with a 8300 ink set.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst

New: Spectral plots of +250 inkjet papers:

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

deanwork

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2011, 12:37:32 pm »

I think Lexjet is $3299, maybe cheaper if you call it in with a salesman.  Cheap shipping.
-----------------

Yes, this is the best you can get right now for the 44" apparently and I just went for it. They can't keep these prices forever. I don't see the dealers making anything off of this really. That's like cost. They must have bought a bunch of them awhile back.

It comes with the 330 ml carts, and an additional $500.00 rebate ( no IPad :-(  ). The rebate can either be a mail in for cash from Canon or an additional 1 year service contract that is worth about $1,500.00 (Canon's service contracts are not the deal that HPs are). I did the latter so I don't have to think about it for another 2 years.

Shipping was free but a $75.00 fee if you need a lift.

john

ftbt

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2011, 04:08:43 pm »

I bought my 8300 from LexJet and was able to get one of those "Black Friday" deals. If you send me a PM, I will give you the names of the people I dealt with at LexJet. (I was just on the phone with them yesterday.) It might help if you give them a call, ask for a specific person, and then tell him that you were referred by a satisfied customer that he just talked to a day or two before. Worth a try.
Pages: [1]   Go Up