Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: External profile for z3100ps, how turn off color management?  (Read 1520 times)

J Vee

• J Vee Graphics
External profile for z3100ps, how turn off color management?
« on: April 19, 2011, 05:02:51 pm »

Lots of discussion of this previously, but now with Snow Leopard and Photoshop CS5 does one turn off color management by:  1.  Printing the untagged image with Photoshop managing the color and Black Point turned off  2. By also turning off color management at the menu on the z3100  3. By applying a profile (any) and then printing with Photoshop managing and using the SAME assigned profile as the printer profile??

I note some discussion that the color management cannot be turned off at the z3100 front panel menu but it can with mine using the latest firmware.
J Vee

MonsterBaby

Re: External profile for z3100ps, how turn off color management?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 07:29:41 pm »

turn off what ever you can turn off and you are save ;-)

load the paper... calibrate it..

now in PS choose printer handles colormanagement.

and in the printer dialogue say PS manages color.

so 0*0=0....

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 03:10:24 am »

Lots of discussion of this previously, but now with Snow Leopard and Photoshop CS5 does one turn off color management by:  1.  Printing the untagged image with Photoshop managing the color and Black Point turned off  2. By also turning off color management at the menu on the z3100  3. By applying a profile (any) and then printing with Photoshop managing and using the SAME assigned profile as the printer profile??

I note some discussion that the color management cannot be turned off at the z3100 front panel menu but it can with mine using the latest firmware.

This is not about a Z3100 target printed on another printer and measured on the Z3100-PS if I understand it correctly.

You have an external profile creator and spectrometer for measuring and the target is printed on the Z3100-PS.

On a Windows machine and QImage to print from I would set the Z3100 driver to "Application CM" and in Qimage I would switch CM "OFF". That way the untagged target will not get a tag by Qimage (or Windows) and the driver only looks for the RGB data in the target. You can not do that with your system, there is however a new Adobe application to solve that for your system. I am not a Mac aficionado so do not know more than that. There is a new thread running on the Colorsync list that discusses the flaws in that new application too.

There's another route. You have APS. I think it is possible to put extra target files and reference data in its reference map and print through that channel targets for another profile creator + spectrometer. If APS worked correctly on your system then that should work too. There is a setting to break off the workflow after the target is printed. Played with some greyscale targets in APS yesterday.

Edit: I see it relies on the reference files for creating the targets to print to and it will do it with stacked hexagonal shapes only so even if you can adapt the reference files to the APS format you have to measure in patch mode with the external spectrometer. Anyway what I want can be done. Have to try this method in Color Center as that gives Lab values instead of APS spectral output.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst

New: Spectral plots of +250 inkjet papers:

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 07:41:14 am by Ernst Dinkla »

J Vee

• J Vee Graphics
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 02:31:55 pm »

Yes, the 3100 does have an option on its own front panel menu to turn off color management.  See Connvectivity/Advanced/WebServices/Color and paper management and choose "Off".  Isn't this sufficient? 
J Vee

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 03:37:55 pm »

On a Mac printing an untagged target image from Photoshop you never know.

Get at least the print utility from Adobe.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

Pages: [1]   Go Up