Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The dreaded camera choice question  (Read 3079 times)

maxmelvin19

The dreaded camera choice question
« on: April 04, 2011, 08:58:04 am »

I know that hundreds of 'newbies' ask this question - 'what camera should I buy'. I also understand the wisdom of the obvious response: 'Whatever works for you! Given that most digital cameras produce decent images in the right hands camera choice is subjective, based on particular applications and what features/design are necessary for others may not be necessary for you.'

Given the above, I would like to give you some details about my particular requirements and photographic aims, a shortlist of possible cameras and graciously ask for some broad and specific advice and suggestions from those with greater experience. Thanks in advance.

So... I am a student in my twenties and I have dabbled with film (a Minolta SRT-101) and enthusiast compacts (Panasonic LX3). I mostly shoot street, abstract, and black and white in preference to traditional landscape, portraiture and sports (see below for examples). I also plan to get into travel photography. I wish to upgrade to a large sensor camera in which image quality, compactness, a viewfinder and ease of use are paramount concerns, design (in the Dieter Rams sense) is a lesser but still important factor. It is important for me that I have an emotional connection to the photographic instrument.

I plan to spend no more than £1000 pounds on one camera/kit and sell my LX3. My quandary is this - Do I limit myself to the beauty, image quality and (in my opinion) supreme manual control of the Fuji X100 (despite the fact that I am stuck with 35mm equiv. focal length as my only option)? Do I plump for the versatile but dog ugly GH2 with, say, the 20mm prime? Or do I wait to spend my hard earned on the rumoured viewfinder-integrated rangefinder-styled m43 bodies from Panasonic and Olympus?

What do I need to keep in mind with respect to improving my skills?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Max

Dick Roadnight

Re: The dreaded camera choice question
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 09:25:31 am »

Do I plump for the versatile but dog ugly GH2 with, say, the 20mm prime? Or do I wait to spend my hard earned on the rumoured viewfinder-integrated rangefinder-styled m43 bodies from Panasonic and Olympus?

What do I need to keep in mind with respect to improving my skills?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Max
I am thinking about the GH2 (worth pocket-room to an MFD owner) ... can you get it with the 20mm lens without the 14mm?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 02:54:11 pm by Dick Roadnight »
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

maxmelvin19

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 09:31:45 am »

It is possibly to buy the GH2 body-only. I don't plan to do much video so the 14-140mm step-less aperture lens does not appeal to me.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 10:26:48 am »

How about the G2? I have an very high opinion of this camera and given that it's one generation back you should be able to get a good deal. The 14-45 zoom is a fine lens and for 1000 pounds you should be able to get the 45-200 zoom as well and have money left over. I used this camera and these 2 lenses on a 2 week Alaska trip and find it almost impossible to see any quality difference between the Panasonic kit and my Nikon D700 and my stable of $2000 lenses. You can see the photos at my site, below, n the Alaska section.
Pages: [1]   Go Up