Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: what flash trigger are you using for high speed sync?  (Read 22716 times)

donaldt

what flash trigger are you using for high speed sync?
« on: March 27, 2011, 05:56:05 am »

so I have decided to settle with my hasselblad H
I am thinking to go shoot a set of photos that utilizes the 1/800 sec flash sync
but I looked at most of the wireless flash triggers specs, and found that most of them only claim up to 1/250 sec max
although I have also seen some reviews saying that most of them in fact can go higher than they claim

so my question is
what triggers are you guys using to achieve the high speed sync (at 1/800 sec or anything over 1/250 sec?)
or should I use the little pop up flash to trigger (with those cheap light triggers?)

the one I was looking at was the Phottix Atlas, almost everyone is using them in Hong Kong now, so the good thing is that I just need to bring one when I go out to shoot with my friends and I can trigger their flashes/strobes
but I went to their website and they also only claim 1/250 sec max

Bernhard

• http://www.bernhardphotographer.com
Re: what flash trigger are you using for high speed sync?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 10:08:15 am »

try the new Flex's from PW. Also the MultiMax from PW should be able to higher (heard 1/1000 s somewhere)

http://www.pocketwizard.com/inspirations/tutorials/hypersync_tutorial_video/

From Pocketwizard on HyperSync mode:

"With a MiniTT1 Transmitter or FlexTT5 Transceiver on-camera, PocketWizard's HyperSync technology allows you to fine-tune the timing of your flash to achieve the maximum possible sync speed of your equipment, which could be as fast as 1/8000th of a second. Remote flashes can be attached to any receiving PocketWizard radio, including studio strobes with PocketWizard radios built-in. HyperSync requires some experimentation to find the maximum potential of your camera and flash combination. You can adjust HyperSync settings with the PocketWizard Utility."

Best

Bernhard Kristinn

David Schneider

• Portrait Studio Owner
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 05:49:37 pm »

so I have decided to settle with my hasselblad H
I am thinking to go shoot a set of photos that utilizes the 1/800 sec flash sync
but I looked at most of the wireless flash triggers specs, and found that most of them only claim up to 1/250 sec max
although I have also seen some reviews saying that most of them in fact can go higher than they claim

Had a male high school dancer in studio and first time I was using my H3d2-39 at 1/500th sec.   I was using old (as in 7-10 yr old) Pocket Wizards.  Worked perfectly. 

Gordon Buck

• LightDescription
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 08:36:21 pm »

Although sort of the opposite end of the spectrum, I routinely use the cheap Yongnuo RF-602 wireless triggers at 1/500 and can get up to 1/640 sync with my Canon G12 (which can do high speed sync as long as the "flash" is not Canon).
Gordon
 [url=http://lightdescription.blog

donaldt

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 12:46:09 am »

this leads me to believe that although most of them claim 1/250sec being the max but in fact they can achieve higher sync
I remember seeing a review about all the budget trigger and they all go higher than 1/250 given the camera can the flash can go higher than that, some up to 1/500 some even over 1/1000

but is there any that claims up to say 1/1000 and doesnt cost too much?

because I am afraid that they in fact can do over 1/250 but not consistently

Bernhard

• http://www.bernhardphotographer.com
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 05:32:37 am »

if you're able to test it, that would be the best way to do it. just see when the light starts to decrease

and of course with flash with that short flash duration (better than 1/2400 t.5)

Best

Bernhard Kristinn

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 06:32:40 am »

...the one I was looking at was the Phottix Atlas, almost everyone is using them in Hong Kong now, so the good thing is that I just need to bring one when I go out to shoot with my friends and I can trigger their flashes/strobes but I went to their website and they also only claim 1/250 sec max

Hi Donald,

The 1/250 sec mentioned refers to the shortest shutterspeed that allows a full frame exposure with a curtain slit type of shutter. Faster shutterspeeds will obscure part of the image due to a narrower gap between curtains.

Unlike e.g. the Flex Pocket Wizards, you cannot influence the flash trigger timing. The PWs alow to fine-tune the synchronization trigger moment, thus getting the maximum output out of a flash with long discharge time, or tweak the timing to maximize the unobstructed exposure time with curtain shutters. Lenses with leafshutters can be used at very high speeds, and flash output maximized for that shutterspeed. Highly recommended, although there are some issues with radio interference (US frequency range) from certain flash units.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 06:40:11 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 08:21:11 am »

I've been using my Elinchrom Skyports successfully at 1/500 but I get some loss of light at 1/1000. Haven't taken the time yet to find out if the flash duration is too long at times, or whether it's a sync speed issue. Anyway, it's worth giving these  a shot. They are much more compact than the PWs.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 09:23:10 am by Graham Mitchell »

TMARK

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 02:49:47 pm »

I use a cord when I know I need it right the first time.  The cord ended my agonizing over the issue.

adamduckworth

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 06:41:19 pm »

I believe you can only use Pocket Wizard Flex and Mini on the specific cameras they are designed for (Nikon or Canon) or else you have to set them to "classic" mode like a old school Plus II. So you can't adjust the flash sync timing on them with a non-Canon or Nikon.

Skyports go to about 1/250th but the new Skyport Speed a bit faster (just like a Pocket Wizard Multimax set to "speed" mode). And yes, I have Flex/ Mini, Plus IIs, Multimax, Skyport, Skyport Speed and Profoto Air.

Fastest triggers are Profoto Air. I can sync my Phase One DF with P40+ and Leaf Shutter lenses at up to 1/1600th with them. You lose a bit of light after 1/800th, but that's pretty good.

Hope that helps.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 01:18:57 am »

I use the 'old' Skyport frequently up to 1/800th. I do loose about a stop of light going from 1/250th to 1/800th.

ojecoco

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 07:00:38 am »

Product Name: Multi-function High-Speed Wireless Flash Trigger
Model No.: H-550
Brand Name: OJECOCO

Main features:
1, Ultra high-sync speed
Ultra high-Sync speed can achieve high up to 1/8000s (equal to the highest camera shutter speed)

2, Flash groups controlling
Three flash groups controlling options (totally 7 different  group combinations according to user's requirement).

3, TTL function
Support TTL function of Speedlights while being able to trigger off-camera flash.

4, Wireless RF
Utilize 2.4GHZ RF and FSK Modulation technology which is much more stable; wireless controlling range is up to 150m.

5, Basic triggering function
Wirelessly triggering Camera, Speedlight and studio or outdoor flashes. Sync speed is high up to 1/250s; Triggering frequency is high up to 20 frames/s.

6, Relay function
Wirelessly and Remotely control camera shutter while relaying signal to flashes to make camera and flashes synchronously work in the same time.

7, "Transmitter+Receiver" built-in one
The product can be used as either transmitter or receiver. One may order multiple H-550 used as receivers to control more than one flashes.

8, One camera control multiple cameras
By operating the master camera, other cameras can be triggered in the same time.

9, Waking up Speedlights:
Speedlight will go into sleep mode automatically while non-used for a period of time, H-550 can help to wake it up.

10, AAA batteries installed
Use AAA batteries with standby time high up to 200 hours.

Contact Information:
1, Company Name: Shenzhen OJECOCO Photographic Technology Co., Ltd
2, Tel: 86 755 86304379
3, Fax: 86 755 86304379
4, Address: Room 2104, ShengTang Mansion, Xiasha, Futian District, Shenzhen.
5, Website: www.ojecoco.com

ojecoco

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 07:16:20 am »

Ordering options: 
1. One may order an extra H-550 to control multiple flashes.
2. One may order different remote cables to control different camera models.
3. Different shutter release can be purchased separately to control the many different camera models simultaneously.
4. ojecoco H550 have "for canon"(Referred to as A) and "for nikang(Referred to as B) two models. A can control the B, B can control A. Flexibility with purchase

carloalberto

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 11:19:24 pm »

How about the CyberSync line from Paul C. Buff? I heard good reports about them. The word is that they are better tecnically then PW and cheaper too. Anyone with hands on or other experience on this? http://www.paulcbuff.com/cybersync.php
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 11:22:33 pm by carloalberto »

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 10:06:36 am »

I tested the CyberSync radio transmitters while looking for an inexpensive wireless workaround with high speed flash sync----coming from the realm of the standard faire Pocket Wizards IIs/Tranceivers/Plus, which are definitely limited with regard to higher flash sync speeds.  As an aside, build quality is noticeably better with the PWs over the Cybersync.  The CyberSync is cheap, and it may work as advertised, but it just feels that way.  

First test with the original Cybersync Transmitter (CST) and Receiver (CSRB) was not much faster with high speed flash sync----more in the realm of 1/500, and definitely MUCH slower than the original advertised capabilities on the Buff website (at least with what we were using).  Phase 645DF, Phase P65+, Schneider 80mm LS.  Disappointed, but not much lost in re-selling.

Second test with Einstein 640 monolight.  Yup, another inexpensive foray.  This time with the CST and the CSXCV Transceiver, which is a "built-in" module that drops into the monolight.  The CSRB is a "fail."  The CST with CSXCV is a "win."  Phase 645DF, P65+, Schneider 110mm LS----wireless flash sync all the way up to 1/1600.  Build quality of the Cybersync is not quite up to PW standards, and I'm not fond of the watch type coin battery that the CST uses---popping in readily available AAs is much easier.  But it works.  (You are limited to the Einstein monolight)  I just keep a few PW transceivers on hand just in case.   ;)  This has got to be the least expensive, high flash sync capable, on location lighting kit.

ken

bpepz

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2011, 09:40:32 am »

I've been using the cheap ebay Cactus transmitters on my rz67 and have no problem syncing to 1/400th.

carloalberto

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2011, 12:01:19 am »

Ken,

Thanks for your comments on the CyberSyncs. I use Broncolor studio stuff (Grafit A2 generator and 3 heads, Pulso 2 gen and Pulso Spot 4) and also have Nikon SB 900 / 700 / 80. I work with Hasselblad V system and Nikon digital. The CyberSyncs advertise their supposedly better 2.4 GHz implementation but for me reliability and quality are important. Do you recommend I go with PW? If so, which model to get (I saw they have some new stuff).

Carlo

UlfKrentz

• http://www.shoots.de
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011, 12:22:54 pm »

Ken,

Thanks for your comments on the CyberSyncs. I use Broncolor studio stuff (Grafit A2 generator and 3 heads, Pulso 2 gen and Pulso Spot 4) and also have Nikon SB 900 / 700 / 80. I work with Hasselblad V system and Nikon digital. The CyberSyncs advertise their supposedly better 2.4 GHz implementation but for me reliability and quality are important. Do you recommend I go with PW? If so, which model to get (I saw they have some new stuff).

Carlo

Carlo,

Although it won´t control your old pack and the Nikon flash, take a look at the RFS transmitter from broncolor as well. I always prefer to have kind of a "foolproof solution", the transmitter is extremly compact, which feels important to me when put on the hot shoe, the receiver is build into the pack, no cables that can loose connection, no additional batteries to keep attention to. If you don´t already have the RFS version of the grafit pack you can always get the RFS receiver installed. You´ll add remote control to your pack, too.

Cheers, Ulf

carloalberto

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2011, 05:03:43 am »

Hi Ulf,

Thanks for your suggestion. I have the original Grafit A2. I see Broncolor offer an upgrade to Plus, whatever that means (do you know?). Can mine be upgraded to RFS? Anyhow, I'll be visiting the dealer here in Holland next week so I'll check it out.

Carlo

UlfKrentz

• http://www.shoots.de
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2011, 03:57:29 pm »

Hi Ulf,

Thanks for your suggestion. I have the original Grafit A2. I see Broncolor offer an upgrade to Plus, whatever that means (do you know?). Can mine be upgraded to RFS? Anyhow, I'll be visiting the dealer here in Holland next week so I'll check it out.

Carlo

Hi Carlo,

Yes, the Grafit A can be upgraded to RFS very easily. There is a modification kit (L7 102.00) that contains everything that is needed for the conversion. I do not know if they still offer a "plus" upgrade, AFAIK the RFS set is cheaper than the plus Kit was. Unfortunately the strong swiss currency makes everything more expensive now :-\
The Grafit A2/4 "plus" version added a hardwired (NOT wireless) remote control through a serial bus via PC or Mac. You´ll include a remote control of all functions and the wireless trigger with the RFS-Kit, so I won´t recommend any plus upgrade.

Cheers, Ulf
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up