Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPF8300 phantom media type  (Read 2410 times)

keith_cooper

• Northlight Images
iPF8300 phantom media type
« on: March 19, 2011, 07:40:45 am »

During testing, I left the paper lever up, during the final stage of adding a new custom media setting to our 8300.

This managed to lock up the MCT (Mac), even though the printer restarted when I lowered the lever.

Unfortunately, the media type I was working on is now registered in the driver, but appears as '*' on the printer.

I'd thought of just deleting it, but no, it only appears in the full media list, not custom, and as such can't be deleted

Pics from my iPF8300 diary

I repeated the custom media setting process and now have a custom paper set for the paper I'm testing, but can't find any way to delete/rename the old '*' one.

Any thoughts?
bye for now -- Keith
[url=http://www.nor

howardm

Re: iPF8300 phantom media type
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 07:53:56 am »

Other than calling Canon tech support and having them tell you, my hunch is that the driver wrote that to a .plist file (or something akin to that).  I'd find out if all users of the computer see that or only you. 

Then I'd start nosing around in /Users/<kcooper>/Library/.......  (possibly in Preferences or Application Support) for a file w/ 'canon' in the name and if the file is a .bplist, you can use the plutil command to convert it to XML, edit it and convert it back.

Or it may have written the data system-wide to /Library/Printers/Canon

Or worst case, uninstall driver and re-install.

keith_cooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 08:28:15 am »

Thanks for that, however the printer display panel also shows media type * installed, but I can't see any facility via the front panel, to edit/delete media settings.

The * media setting doesn't seem to cause any difficulties, just it shouldn't be there :-)

Fortunately I have a visit from Canon next week, so i'll add it to the list of things I'd like answers to...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 08:32:38 am by keith_cooper »
bye for now -- Keith
[url=http://www.nor

howardm

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 09:19:00 am »

it's probably going to be one of those 'turn the power on while holding 3 different buttons while singing God Save the Queen' solutions.   ;D

shewhorn

• http://
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 12:58:14 pm »

Keith,

I had the opposite situation you had... I had a phantom media type for Crane Museo Silver Rag that didn't show up in the MCT. I ended up resetting the printer and then doing a factory sync with the MCT (which also restores custom media types... bad interface). I'll search around a little later and see if I can find the specific directories where that file might live. Unfortunately in the case of the MCT, I think it uses a database with media names and if that db is corrupt... Hmmm... I'll take a look and see if I can figure it out.

Cheers, Joe
Pages: [1]   Go Up