Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP Z3100 ink leak  (Read 1987 times)

hencha

HP Z3100 ink leak
« on: March 17, 2011, 04:24:06 pm »

Hello... Posting this to see if anyone can suggest ideas (and solutions) as to what might be happening to this printer. Recently, while printing, the printer stopped midway with a "Yellow cartridge defective" message. Since the cartridge still had some ink in it (~ 1oz.), i went through a 'resetting' of it about 6-7 times over 2 days, to no avail. Finally resigned myself to buying a replacement, which was installed about a week later; made the defective message go away. I let the printer go through its periodical self-check / cleaning procedures over 2 days, since I had no time to print anything. During that time, no message of defective cartridge, or any other of a negative nature, came up. I assumed it had been fixed.

Just a while ago, trying to print an 11 x 17, the printer started fine but stopped exactly halfway, with the "defective yellow" message showing up again (it's a NEW yellow cartridge...). This time, though, upon lifting the plastic center lid, I saw a 3/8" wide, very long (15-18 inches) blotch of yellow ink. It had spilled along what I'll call the steel 'guide' over which the printing head carriage moves; this guide is about an inch wide and about 25" long. Disconnected the printer and managed to clean / wipe away this ink; figure it was about half an ounce in total. There was no more yellow ink continuing to spill from anywhere, but have not tried to use the printer again.

I carefully checked for leaks along the ink lines / from under the printhead assembly, but NTG. Removed the yellow printhead, and saw some extra ink around the pin that clicks into place when the head is pushed in. Since this particular head (yellow / magenta) is the original one (almost 3 years old), I wonder if the yellow channel "inside" that head is clogged, forcing the ink to squirt out as the carriage is moving back and forth. I have no idea why something like this would lead to the "defective yellow cartridge" message, though.

Of course, it could be other things, and that's why I am posting this. Any help would be greatly appreciated; am assuming this has happened to others...?  This printer has not been troublesome, in any other ways.    TKS for any help !   HC

hencha

deanwork

Re: HP Z3100 ink leak
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 04:44:59 pm »

Three year old Yellow head? God. Replace the thing before you waste anymore ink.

hencha

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 05:03:13 pm »

It is not always how long the head has been in use, but how much actual printing is done. I do print very regularly, but not intensively. It may be the head or not; nevertheless, I've just ordered a replacement.

Meanwhile, I hope to receive other suggestions, as to what else it could be.   HC
hencha

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 04:05:44 am »

It could be something like that. The carts have a membrane pump to deliver the ink to the heads. The printer on a sensor command uses rods to actuate those pumps.  The printer has a sensor in the head or in the ink channel that measures either pressure of the ink or conductivity through the ink. There could be a leak in the head itself or the sensor isn't working properly there. There have been reports of ink mixing between the two ink channels in the head so a leak is possible. If there are problems with the connection between the ink channel and head it should be visible I guess. Totally blocked head should be reported in printer utility so I doubt it is that. I would replace the head in your case and see whether that does the job. Make sure you clean the electrical contacts in the head slot carefully and of course the rest too.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

hencha

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 10:59:24 am »

Ernst, 

Just a couple of hours ago, I removed the particular printhead and took it outside to examine it more closely in bright light, as I wanted to check for cracks, damaged electrical contacts, etc... The outside looked normal, but i was able to see / understand how the ink goes in through a tiny opening in a short rod, which I had not seen before. The more I think about it, the more I believe the problem resides in the printhead, even though the error message says "defective cartridge". I think the yellow channel in that head is blocked, so the ink spills out rather than going through to be laid down on the paper.

You probably have much more experience than me, and I think what you wrote is quite likely correct, and I'll follow the advice. I have already ordered a new head, expecting it Monday. I will post an update after installation. Time to change the other heads also, in next few weeks.

Again, TKS VM Ernst     

Henry
hencha

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 11:43:49 am »

There is  a service manual to download, check the Wiki Z3100 pages. Check how the head (slot) contacts should be cleaned.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst

New: Spectral plots of +250 inkjet papers:

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up