Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 3.4 & Camera Raw 6.4 RC posted  (Read 22308 times)

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: Lightroom 3.4 & Camera Raw 6.4 RC posted
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2011, 06:11:43 pm »

I don't know, but I suspect.. I've had about 20-25 ATI boards through my shop over the last 18 months, many of them the same exact series but from different manufacturers.  Removing the coolers and comparing them they often seem to be built on the same PC boards, same voltage regulators, same caps, same ports.. everything except the coolers and firmware seems to be the same.  I've even transferred one set of firmware from a 5970 card to three other manufacturers 5970's.. and according to the info readers they all read as the same card, same manufacturer, etc..  I suspect ATI has a company which puts together the chipsets and boards.. then lets the different vendors (gigabyte, asus, HIS, etc) write their own firmware and specify their own coolers and port configurations.  A guess, but it sure looks that way.

I also stopped using Nvidia for several years, except for their Quattro workstation cards as they've remained excellent.  Their drivers were at issue more than their hardware.  But before that ATI cycled through similar problems.  Today they both seem okay, we're lucky to have so many good choices.  For what we do I still give the nod to ATI at the consumer desktop level, but to Nvidia at the workstation level.. their Quattro cards really outperform their ATI counterparts.
You could be correct, I've really never compared the cards since our computers haven't broken down!  My 1 GB Radeon 5770 has been working fine; the only minor issue is to remember to check for driver updates every six months or so since an occasional Windows update can lead to some flaky behavior.

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2011, 07:20:49 pm »

One more tedious nitpicking comment?

what is "nitpicking" about Adobe DNG converter destroying original raw data w/o any warning ? now that is not something like masked to light areas from the sensor that we have w/ some Pentax and Nikon raw files... that is the image data.

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2011, 08:25:55 pm »

You could be correct, I've really never compared the cards since our computers haven't broken down!  My 1 GB Radeon 5770 has been working fine; the only minor issue is to remember to check for driver updates every six months or so since an occasional Windows update can lead to some flaky behavior.
I've had six defective ATI boards over the last six months.  3 were 5770's.  All three were factory overclocked, and all three had noisy coolers that started 'rattling' as they had time on them.  2 were 5970's, same cooler rattle issue.  The best solution to each one was an Arctic Cooler.  The 5970's triple fan Arctic cooler addition went from idles of 80c and highs well over 100c, to idles of 45c and highs not even 80c.  Big difference and silent too.  A single fan Arctic cooler on the 5770's brought similar results.. but unfortunately these end up taking an extra slot width over stock, so it wasn't always possible to achieve the fix this way.  Some we just exchanged for new ones.  When doing a build, if given the choice and we have the room, I'll put an Arctic Cooler on the GPU every time.  You end up with greatly reduced GPU and subsequently reduced case temps and much lower noise levels.
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2011, 09:41:16 pm »

I've had six defective ATI boards over the last six months.  3 were 5770's.  All three were factory overclocked, and all three had noisy coolers that started 'rattling' as they had time on them.  2 were 5970's, same cooler rattle issue.  The best solution to each one was an Arctic Cooler.  The 5970's triple fan Arctic cooler addition went from idles of 80c and highs well over 100c, to idles of 45c and highs not even 80c.  Big difference and silent too.  A single fan Arctic cooler on the 5770's brought similar results.. but unfortunately these end up taking an extra slot width over stock, so it wasn't always possible to achieve the fix this way.  Some we just exchanged for new ones.  When doing a build, if given the choice and we have the room, I'll put an Arctic Cooler on the GPU every time.  You end up with greatly reduced GPU and subsequently reduced case temps and much lower noise levels.
I haven't had that problem but thanks for the information.  I'll probably build my own computer from scratch next time and keep this cooling approach in mind.  The only issue I had was the screen sometimes did not come back on after coming out of sleep mode.  It was right after one of the major Windows updates and I finally figured out that maybe the driver was flaky.  Updated the driver and no more problems.

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2011, 12:41:14 am »

I haven't had that problem but thanks for the information.  I'll probably build my own computer from scratch next time and keep this cooling approach in mind.  The only issue I had was the screen sometimes did not come back on after coming out of sleep mode.  It was right after one of the major Windows updates and I finally figured out that maybe the driver was flaky.  Updated the driver and no more problems.
Many people don't notice the fan rattle because the rattle is less loud than their power supply or system fans.  I take a small amount of pride in building PC's that you can't hear even if setting on the desktop (and not the floor) in front of you.  The last one I built is here, unfortunately I was unable to use an Arctic Cooler on the 5770 because it was a very small case using a MATX board and there just wasn't enough space after installing the OCZ PCIe Revo Drive.. Yet its so quiet, setting on the desktop in front of you, the video card fan is the loudest thing you hear.. it's very soft, but if it started rattling it would become very annoying.  The worse ATI fans that rattle are on the 5880/5970 and their 6000 series counterparts.  After a month or two the bearing develops play and the rattle begins.

The 5770 doesn't run hot unless under load, but check it out in the ATI Overdrive part of your software.  With an Arctic Cooler you can get it to idle at ambient temps, and not rise above 70-75c during full load.. and that would be rare.  They're cheap and easy to install and the gains are very real.. so I'll always add one if I can.
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2011, 04:22:54 am »

what is "nitpicking" about Adobe DNG converter destroying original raw data w/o any warning ? now that is not something like masked to light areas from the sensor that we have w/ some Pentax and Nikon raw files... that is the image data.
The same old marginal value info that's not worth debating with you.... Best let the dog keep his bone.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 04:30:38 am by johnbeardy »

stamper

« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2011, 04:46:20 am »

What has all of this got to do with an update to a Lightroom & Camera raw update? ???

bjanes

« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2011, 12:22:13 pm »

I don't know if anyone else has encountered this or not... (Windows 7 Home Premium, 32-bit)

Downloaded LR 3.4 RC, ACR 6.4 RC and DNG Converter 6.4 RC.  ACR and DNG Converter installed fine.  Tried to install Lightroom and Norton 360 says that the file is acting 'suspiciously' and deletes the file.  Deleted the .zip file.  Downloaded again.  Shut down... restarted... same thing.

I'm not saying that the file is a security risk, only that Norton 360 believes it is.  Never encountered that one before.

Mike.
(let Tom Hogarty know as well)

I just installed the release candidate ACR on my Win 7 64 bit laptop running Norton Security Suite 4.3.0.5 with no problems and it is running fine.

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2011, 02:26:00 pm »

The same old marginal value info that's not worth debating with you.... Best let the dog keep his bone.
sure, at least you are not disputing the facts that Adobe DNG converter does not preserve the original raw data...

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2011, 03:11:26 pm »

sure, at least you are not disputing the facts that Adobe DNG converter does not preserve the original raw data...

Sure it does, if you set it to do so (RTFM).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2011, 04:14:07 pm »

Not quite - just letting you keep chewing away on that bone of yours.

schrodingerscat

« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2011, 03:41:40 pm »

Ya know, not long ago Sony marketed a sort of 'robot photographer', a device you could set your camera in, and then set the entire setup in the middle of a party or event.  It would rotate around searching for smiles and make captures automatically.

It just worked!   ;D

Still available on Sony P&S. Soon to be available on everything else, as this sort of stuff is about all that's left for the marketing people to flog. Nikon's already got it.

The first company that comes up with a 'Wedding Mode' will make a killing.

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2011, 09:12:56 pm »

Sure it does, if you set it to do so (RTFM).

it does not for Sigma raw files, I suggest you to get a Sigma raw file (get ISO3200 to see it more clearly) and try it instead of making fool of yourself.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up