Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Linhof 679  (Read 2089 times)

BillOConnor

Linhof 679
« on: March 07, 2011, 11:41:51 pm »

Can someone tell me the difference between the Linhof 679 and the 679cc? I know the 679cs has the side to side movement on the "tripod block," but the difference between the 679 and 679cc escapes me.
Also, what has to be done to focus the 23, 24, 35mm lenses on the 679?
I used a lot of back movements when I shot more with the 4x5 view camera, back movements can be very useful when dealing with lenses of limited coverage, so the 679 is very intriguing.

Thanks, Bill

Snapped

Re: Linhof 679
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 02:58:27 am »

I owned ( since sold ) a 679cs and used it with a Rodenstock 35 HR, and several other HR lenses.  Beautiful lens camera combination and the resolution of the HR lenses is now well documented, but it was a nightmare to focus, ground glass was basically a waste of time even with a lupe, as you could only really see the center of the image, which was just so dark.  Critical focus was by trial and error, the focus knob is so small that a minute rotate equated to huge shift, the rack is also very coarse for short lenses.  On location it was just too frustrating, slow, and uncertain.  I was using a P45 back so no live view.  I guess if you have a back offering live view and can always shoot tethered then it could be an OK scenario.   Personally today I would imagine the Alpa Max or Arca Swiss RM3D would be a happier solution.  Certainly if I had the money and the application that would be my choice.

Here is a location snap from the last shoot I did with it before selling the system

BillOConnor

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 09:01:56 am »

Absolutely stunning shot. Gads, what you've said is not good news. I wonder if the Linhof Techno suffers from the same issues, or if the designers learned from the shortcomings of the 679. Maybe the extra $1500 extra, per lens, for the Arca mount is worth the money.

geesbert

• http://www.randlkofer.com
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 12:45:13 pm »

the 'cc' offers rise to the standards, which can only be acomplished with the 679 by double-tilting, which ia a pain and quite unprecise.

The Linhof is a fantastic camera for the studio with lenses 70mm and up, anything shorter and on the road there are certainly better solutions.
-------------------------
[url=http://ww

Peter Devos

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 01:02:22 pm »

The CS has front and back "rise"S ,the CC only on the back ( wich was no pain .. ... ... and worked great). Nevertheless, nobody seems interested in buying my 679cc, not even for my absurd low price. I really enjoyed working the cc but have moved to the HCam B1.
Pages: [1]   Go Up