Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: More mac newbie stuff  (Read 1280 times)

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
More mac newbie stuff
« on: March 07, 2011, 01:53:54 pm »

Got a new 2011 15.5 mackbbok pro the 2.2 version.

I want to hook it up to my nec 2690.

My question...this laptop has two video cards, and Intel and an AMD.

How do I profile with this system?  Do I need to somehow select only one card or the other when connected to the NEC?

Thanks in advance.

BTW, I'll be using spectraview and a colormunki.
Craig Lamson Photo

howardm

Re: More mac newbie stuff
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 02:25:18 pm »

I'm not lucky enough to have one of those but as I recall, one is optimized for performance at the expense of battery power and that can be changed in the Energy Pref's.  If so, pick the chip you're likely to be using and profile against that.

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 06:40:31 pm »

Craig,

Which graphics cards/processors are used depends on your system preference choice in the "Energy Saver". The computer will switch automatically, but may require you to log out/log in.

When you choose "Better Battery Life" then the Intel graphics processor will be used. Use only the laptop display with this setting and profile accordingly with your profiling gear. This selection is used when you're not using AC power.

When you choose "Higher Performance" then the computer will automatically switch to the AMD processor. This is used when AC power is available. You will want to profile the laptop monitor under this condition as well.

To use your NEC monitor, you will use the Thunderbolt port with the appropriate cable adapter (DVI, Mini-display port). The Thunderbolt/DVI adapter is optional, but I don't see it on the Apple web site.   :-\

Once your NEC monitor is up and recognized by the system, open system preferences and configure your dual-monitor set up (mirror, positioning, etc.). After that, run your display profiling software/hardware and you should be good to go.
~ CB

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 07:24:06 pm »

Thanks for the detailed response Chris, I'll be trying tonight.
Craig Lamson Photo
Pages: [1]   Go Up