Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: clogged jet in 7900  (Read 940 times)

bellimages

• http://www.bellimages.com
clogged jet in 7900
« on: March 05, 2011, 05:20:43 pm »

From day one, I've had some head clogging issues on this printer. Today I printed several prints successfully. Then out of nowhere, a print comes out completely ghosted. I do a nozzle check -- the black jet is 2/3 clogged. This makes no sense.

In the past, a cleaning cycle has solved the minor problems. I've done several this evening, to no avail. In fact, it's getting worse (7/8 of the nozzle pattern is blocked now). I do not want to do a power cleaning, since it wastes TONS of ink.

I never had this issue on my Epson 7600. Why on the 7900?

Should I call Epson tech support on Monday? Fortunately, I've kept all of my prints of nozzle checks since installing the 7900 (proof of the problem). Should I expect Epson to replace the head?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 08:07:42 pm by bellimages »
Jan Bell, Owner/Photographer, Bell Image

natas

Re: clogged jet in 7900
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 06:56:09 pm »

Call epson asap and complain about wasted paper and ink. Show them all the proof. I had the same exact thing when I got my 7900. A tech came out, did some test and determined it was a bad head. He replaced it that same day and brought a full set of 150ml ink! Now the printer is perfect. He said sometimes shipping can cause the head to have issues....very rare but not unheard of.

bellimages

• http://www.bellimages.com
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 08:08:35 pm »

Have you had any clogging issues since the head replacement? Do you remember how long the service call took?
Jan Bell, Owner/Photographer, Bell Image

Garnick

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 11:33:51 pm »

I had the same issues with my 9900 and put up with it for almost six months.  The Cyan was the worst culprit, both of them.  However, on some occasions the problem seemed to migrate to most of the colours.  I couldn't trust it to do more than one large before running a nozzle check, and most of the time a cleaning cycle or two, or more!  Once into October I finally made the call to Epson and arranged a warranty service call.  From the first print I made I kept a log of issues with the printer, most clogging problems of course.  When I started reading from my list the Epson Tech on the phone interrupted me and set up an appointment immediately.  It did however take almos4 days to get a tech out, some confusion on the work order I believe.  He brought along a new head and pump/cleaning assembly as well.  He installed the pump/cleaning assembly first and then the head.  Unfortunately he couldn't get the new head working at all, so he re-installed the original.  Did all of the necessary alignments and testing procedures and everything has worked well since.  He said the clogging problems were usually taken care of with a new cleaning assembly and in my case he was right on the mark.  Obviously I still have occasional clogs, but usually one pairs cleaning cycle does the trick and I'm printing again.  I would definitely suggest you make that call to Epson ASAP.  They also sent me a Cyan and LtCyan cart(350ml), which I appreciated, since I had spent a lot of ink previously with cleaning.  My warranty will expire in June and I'm planning on extending it for two years.  I've never done that before with Epson Wide Format Printers, but this baby is different.  The tech estimated the cost of that service call to be approximately $2300.00.  I think the extended warranty is a good insurance policy, although I'm not happy about the fact that it's $300 more in Canada than in the U.S.  No idea why that would be the case, but it is.

Gary
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 11:35:46 pm by Garnick »
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Farmer

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 04:32:11 am »

although I'm not happy about the fact that it's $300 more in Canada than in the U.S.  No idea why that would be the case, but it is.

Taxes?  Travel expenses?  Cost of business?  The list goes one.  Costs really do vary between countries, even neighbours, to do business.  For local support you need to pay local wages and for every person you see/speak to in support there are numerous others supporting them and the infrastructure that allows that local support to exist.

That doesn't mean that every single price variation is 100% "justifiable" in that logical sense, but most are to a pretty high degree.
Phil Brown
Pages: [1]   Go Up