Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EXIF data for scanned film  (Read 3158 times)

jsch

EXIF data for scanned film
« on: March 05, 2011, 06:49:12 am »

Hi,

I posted this question aready in the LR thread, but got no answers so far. Consequently I'm re-posting this questions here. I want to organize my scans from film via EXIF data. I know how to edit them but need more info about this:

1) If I scan a film the field for the camera is taken by the scanner. Is there a convention how to have both Info in the EXIF data scanner and the camera that took the picture?
2) Is there a convention how to put information about the film (brand, type, speed) into EXIF data?

I know that I could hitchhike other fields or use keywords. But if there is a connvention I would be happy to know before I start to index my scans.

Thank you.
Best,
Johannes

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
Re: EXIF data for scanned film
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 01:52:38 pm »

Would AnalogExif solve this problem?  Just a guess...trying to help.

RFPhotography

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 07:35:06 am »

EXIF Pilot might do what you want - http://www.colorpilot.com/exif.html The free version only allows you to edit 1 image at a time but the paid version has a batch edit functionality.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 03:14:45 pm »

The question is really not about software but about standards and which fields should be used to enter data. ISO speed is covered by the EXIF standard used for digital images, but other characteristics of film don't really have conventions. Take a look at the IPTC specs just in case other fields could be used.

John

RFPhotography

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 11:55:01 am »

John, the IPTC fields don't contain any information that would normally be contained in the image EXIF.  That's why editing the EXIF is the suggested route.  The File Source field in the EXIF could be used for the film data.  Make for the camera manufacturer and Model for the camera model and ISO is an existing field as well but would need to be edited to contain the information for a scanned image. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up