Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to choose between two nices AFI + AFI7II?  (Read 5784 times)

jeanlucco

How to choose between two nices AFI + AFI7II?
« on: February 04, 2011, 12:56:48 pm »

All, I've got the opportunity to check during the next two coming weeks two bodies Leaf AFI + two backs AFI7II and various lenses (3x50mm, 2x80mm, 1 macro 90mm, 1 zoom 60-140mm).I will try to shoot as much as I can and try to check al main vital functions. Do you some ideas/check lists/advises on the critical issues (dead pixels, connections, AFD,.....). Thank you in advance. JL
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 01:03:21 pm by jeanlucco »

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com
Re: How to choose between two nices AFI + AFI7II?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 04:27:52 pm »

Latest firmware is 3.10a3.  Along with this upgrade, camera internals are also upgraded, so you definitely want this revision if you can get it.

Beyond that, I can't think of anything else to look for, besides the obvious.

Hope that helps,
-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com

jeanlucco

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 06:10:46 pm »

Hi Brad, seems to have the 1.9.3  :-\ May be this can be fixed by Sinar. Apart of this all in order and functioning, will start tomorrow to check all.

jeanlucco

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 06:23:08 pm »

Getting old, firmware is 3.10A omn the body, I was looking at the back. Feel better.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 08:59:41 pm »

I always check each lens for proper aperture movement and shutter function at fast and slow speeds and for focus.   I have seen fungus in a small number of lenses so worth looking with a flash light through the optic.  Check to see that the proper EXIF is recorded to the files.

Are both kits for sale?

Eric
Rolleiflex USA

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 09:11:49 pm »

Glad to hear your cameras are up-to-date.  If they hadn't been, yes, DHW could have updated them, for a fee.

I just thought of something regarding the backs, too.  Apparently, the (now defunct) Leaf Photography's backs have serial numbers beginning with LF.  The (Phase-owned and living) Leaf Imaging's backs have serial numbers beginning with LI.  My understanding is that the former backs will not receive further firmware updates, whereas the latter will.  (Source: Phase/Mamiya/Leaf User Forums).

Best of luck to you!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 09:14:30 pm by bradleygibson »
-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com

jeanlucco

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 03:23:14 am »

Brad, both backs are LF, at least I know that the backs are fitted with the latst one. At a certain point, firware cannot bring more huge improvements without hardware modifications. Sometimes I regret the old time where it should have take you 5 minutes to check an old Blad, even better an old Mamiya Press where OK.

jeanlucco

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 03:41:01 pm »

Succeeded to shot approx. 2500 pictures with both bodies and all lenses, so far nothing bad to mentioned.
- 2 x 80mm work fine, as expected.
- 90mm macro, razor sharp, very impressive, should buy the full set only for this weapon.
- 3 x 50mm, work fine but not impressed, mainly because I shoot from short distance in our small studio.
- Zoom 60-140mm, big monster requiring a steady tripod unless your name is Superman. Difficult to get constant focus shoot. The learning curve is very flat and requires patience.
- 2 x AFI7II backs + 2 bodies AFI: no problem, I need new batteries, power consumption is worse than my V8.
I enjoyed to shoot tethered via Phase One 6.1 + Capture Pilot. I will make more testing this week, but seems that I will go for the full package and will put for sale two of the 50mm. I will keep you posted.

markszeto

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 03:04:28 am »

the 90mm is very very sweet. Definitely the jewel of the crowd.

the 60-140 is huge and heavy. It's a substitution to your gym membership. Very sharp lens. I do have a problem with the lenses......an error message will pop up on the AFi whenever the lenses is plugged in. It will still function properly though. I learnt from the repair shop that this is a common problem for this lenses (same problem with 6008). I was advised not to do anything with it as long as it still functions. Quite annoying indeed.

Battery life very poor for AFi. I carry 6 batteries around for a day of shooting. Can easily use up 3-4.  And they do not function well under cold weather. Am referring to minus 10 or lower. Canon & Nikon, no problem, for me, I need to carry an external batt around and keep it inside my coat.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 03:08:39 am »

Thanks for sharing your testing results with us.

Were the 50's you had AFD versions or ???
Rolleiflex USA

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 04:31:49 am »

I assume the 50mm lenses were all the f4 versions?

Gigi

• some work
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 04:48:13 am »

the 90mm is very very sweet. Definitely the jewel of the crowd.

the 60-140 is huge and heavy. It's a substitution to your gym membership. Very sharp lens. I do have a problem with the lenses......an error message will pop up on the AFi whenever the lenses is plugged in. It will still function properly though. I learnt from the repair shop that this is a common problem for this lenses (same problem with 6008). I was advised not to do anything with it as long as it still functions. Quite annoying indeed.

Battery life very poor for AFi. I carry 6 batteries around for a day of shooting. Can easily use up 3-4.  And they do not function well under cold weather. Am referring to minus 10 or lower. Canon & Nikon, no problem, for me, I need to carry an external batt around and keep it inside my coat.

There are a lot of jewels in this crown. While the 90 is a fine lens, the 80 AF is just remarkable as well. The 150 - eikther Telexenar or the Schneider-on-the-bellows has remarkable qualities as well. And the 40 recently has emerged as a good companion to the AFI.

The big boys- the zooms and the PC - are heavy artillery. When you need them, they are valuable. Can't imagine a use for the zoom, given its size.

As to lenses and error messages - are you sure your firmware is up to date? No such problems here.... 
Geoff

jeanlucco

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 05:06:25 pm »

I confirm that the 50mm are the 2.8/50 PQS.
Regarding the batteries, I have been told that it is possible to connect the AFi7II to a classic Quantum Turbo Battery pack. Any feedback?

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 06:13:34 pm »

There are a lot of jewels in this crown.

Yes, quite a lot of great glass.   For a long time the 110/2 was my favorite, then the 90mm apo, then the 60 curtagon, then the 150tele xenar.....   If you wanted my list of the great rollei lenses it would be:

30mm fisheye, 40mm SA, 55mm PCS, 60mm schneider curtagon, 80mm f/2.0 and f/2.8 xenotars, 90mm apo macro, 110/2, 150 tele-xenar, 150mm apo macro, 180mm, 300mm apo.     RE: zooms - had all three and still have the 140-280 PQ and 60-140PQS.  The 60-140 is just amazing in terms or performance for a zoom (great sharpness and pop to the images)  but like jeanlucco says, unless you are superman hard to hand hold. It's 2.4kg / 5.3 lbs !   It's sort of a strange lens - because of the IQ your mind says yes, but your arms say no.   The 140-280 PQ is a pretty good performer and the marco feature makes it really useful.  It's both smaller and 1/2 lb. lighter than the 300apo and might a good choice for some situations.
Rolleiflex USA

jeanlucco

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 04:59:43 pm »

Oppps! More or less before ending three weeks of testing the gears, on one of the AFi body, the mirror stayed blocked on upright position with the Warning message "Mirror Timeout".
I tried to change the batteries, connect and reconnect, nothing. Some scaring noises when I activate the key "mirror up" on the left side of the small LCD panel.
Any idea or suggestion? Thanks for your feedback.

Gigi

• some work
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2011, 09:14:02 pm »

Wow. Never heard that one. Try turning it off for a while. The mirror might come down?

Ask DHW. There is (I think) a reset function as well in the hardware. Do you have a manual?
Geoff

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2011, 03:33:37 am »

Wow. Never heard that one. Try turning it off for a while. The mirror might come down?

Ask DHW. There is (I think) a reset function as well in the hardware. Do you have a manual?

To reset the body you need to hold the lens lock button pressed while starting the camera up, might not fix the mirror issue as this sounds like some mechanical fault.
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

jeanlucco

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2011, 05:57:50 am »

Try to reset the body without succes. I believe that it is time for the body to take some winter holidays in Switzerland  :-\ I will keep his brother with all the family lens.
Thanks for feedback.

jeanlucco

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2011, 12:22:58 pm »

I decided to buy the complete package, I have got a very positive feedback from Sinar via my dealer. They will either fix the mirro or change the body. My first investment will be brand new batteries  ;) I will put for sale two of the AFD Super Angulon 2,8/50 PQS, they are very close to be brand new, been used few times. When I look at ebay or on the net some people ask more than the catalog price! I will target around 1500/2000 EUR. Any advise will be great.
Now this is time to explore the system. Thank you so far for all your feedback. Jean-Luc
Pages: [1]   Go Up