Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dilemma: Hasselblad H1 vs. 11 mp Digital Back vs. Canon 1ds Mark II  (Read 6467 times)

mingew

Hello there,
I have a huge dilemma here  :D Nah, I just don't know what to get.
So, the situation is this: I have some money to spend on camera gear, but I don't know what to get.

I already own 2 x Hasselblad 500 CM, and thinking about getting something new. I was thinking of either getting a fully automatic 645 system like the Hasselblad H1, a 11 megapixel Leaf Valeo back for my Hasselblad V or a used Canon 1ds Mark II with a wide angle zoom (like a Canon 17-40).

I know they are completely different things, but they are all tempting in their own way. So let me break down the pros and cons about each system.

Hasselblad H1
Pros: World Class Ergonomics and Design, Unsurpassed Image Quality, Brilliant AutoFocus on MF (always wanted that), Very bright viewfinder which may be missing on my 500 CM, I can rent a Phase One P25+ anywhere.
Cons: Super expensive lenses and accessories, I will only be able to afford an 80mm lens, difficult to find accessories, I will be shooting 120 film most of the time  (meaning cost in film and processing) until I can afford a decent digital back.
Price: 1800-1900 dollars (estimated)

Leaf Valeo 11 (for my Hasselblad 500 CM)
Pros: Nice design which fits with the rest of my Blad, I can use it with equipment and lenses I already invested in, I'm will be able to shoot digital with my Blad' (meaning no cost in film and processing)
Cons: Ridiculous small 36x24 sensor (no point in shooting MF), image quality so and so, 11 megapixel is not impressive for medium format, I have to carry around my Macbook Pro in order to use with it (tethered), crop factor on my Zeiss lenses, difficult to switch to film back back because of the viewfinder mask.
Price: 1200 dollars

Canon 1ds Mark II
Pros: Nice ergonomics, overall fine image quality, portable, nice features and shoots 16 megapixel, good value for the money
Cons: It's not a Blad', image quality not nearly as good as medium format, I'm not familiar with Canon DSLR's and never used one.
Price: 1400 dollars (body) + 600 dollars (Canon 17-40)

I know they are completely different things, but all very tempting. Like I said, I have some money to spend, so I would appreciate it if anybody could give their thoughts/advice?

Thank you,

donaldt

Re: Dilemma: Hasselblad H1 vs. 11 mp Digital Back vs. Canon 1ds Mark II
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 09:00:52 am »

I recently entered the Digital MF and I am sorry to say this, but dont get into it unless you are willing to burn some cash
I got a used H3DII-50 with an 80mm lens
for the same money you can get a 35mm full frame system with three f2.8 zoom lenses and still left with a lot of cash
I kinda realize it too late, I am stuck with the excellent H3D without enough lenses (recently got a used 150mm, but the wide lenses are ridiculous)
and I already have a Hass V system in film and a full Nikon 35mm system so makes me even less willing to invest

I would say get the best 35mm system instead of the outdated digital MF
unless you must have the recognition of looking like a pro with digital MF

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 10:37:05 am »

So, the situation is this: I have some money to spend on camera gear, but I don't know what to get.

Well, you have some money to spend, but the problem is you don't have enough money. Seeing as you already own the Hass 500 gear, the obvious step is a good DB for that system. But you should be looking at 20MP upwards for it to be worthwhile, and even secondhand that will be outside your budget.

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 10:53:31 am »

Hi,

Acquiring a full frame DSLR may be a decent option. Hasselblad lenses can be used with an adapter on a DSLR. I would opt for a Canon 5DII, because it has live view. I would say live view is essential for exact manual focus.

There are quite a few adapters around, some even permitting Tilt & Shift.

Best regards
Erik

Well, you have some money to spend, but the problem is you don't have enough money. Seeing as you already own the Hass 500 gear, the obvious step is a good DB for that system. But you should be looking at 20MP upwards for it to be worthwhile, and even secondhand that will be outside your budget.

John
Erik Kaffehr

imagetone

• http://www.tonymayimages.com
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 07:43:29 am »

It depends on what you want to shoot with the gear, here is my experience FWIW

I got an H1 quite early, shooting on film initially until I got a secondhand 11mp (36 x 24mm) back. I shoot a lot in the studio. The 11mp results are, IMO, very definitely worth it, providing you are shooting at low ISO, and I only shot about three rolls of film since then.  An 11mp or 16mp MF back should be very cheap. For the H1 you can get viewfinder screen with the sensor crop marked on it, not masked, so can see full frame too. (I have one I'm not using).  I now have a P25+ and it is always my first choice if its feasible to use it, which normally means in the studio or on a tripod outside.

I also use 5d MkII and D3. I prefer the image quality and look of the H lenses and P25+ to the 5dMkII, but with the new Canon T/S lenses its easier for me to get better corrected shots of buildings as the HC35 has complex distortion. I love the big bright H1 viewfinder.

High ISO, fast frame rate, no contest, DSLR wins.

Brian Ripley

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 09:59:18 am »

I wouldn't see the Canon 17-40 as a serious contender.  It needs to stopped down to
at least f/11 to be sharp at the edges on a 35mm (as distinct from APS-C) camera. A 1DsII will far out-perform it, but lenses which do justice to the 1DsII are not cheap (even primes).  If your budget is tight then a 5D (or 5dII if you can stretch to it) makes a lot more sense.

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 10:14:37 am »

Hello there,
I have a huge dilemma here  :D Nah, I just don't know what to get.

I already own 2 x Hasselblad 500 CM, and thinking about getting something new. I was thinking of either getting a fully automatic 645 system like the Hasselblad H1, a 11 megapixel Leaf Valeo back for my Hasselblad V or a used Canon 1ds Mark II with a wide angle zoom (like a Canon 17-40).

I know they are completely different things, but they are all tempting in their own way. So let me break down the pros and cons about each system.

Hasselblad H1
Pros: World Class Ergonomics and Design, Unsurpassed Image Quality, Brilliant AutoFocus on MF (always wanted that), Very bright viewfinder which may be missing on my 500 CM, I can rent a Phase One P25+ anywhere.
Cons: Super expensive lenses and accessories, I will only be able to afford an 80mm lens, difficult to find accessories, I will be shooting 120 film most of the time  (meaning cost in film and processing) until I can afford a decent digital back.
Price: 1800-1900 dollars (estimated)

Leaf Valeo 11 (for my Hasselblad 500 CM)
Pros: Nice design which fits with the rest of my Blad, I can use it with equipment and lenses I already invested in, I'm will be able to shoot digital with my Blad' (meaning no cost in film and processing)
Cons: Ridiculous small 36x24 sensor (no point in shooting MF), image quality so and so, 11 megapixel is not impressive for medium format, I have to carry around my Macbook Pro in order to use with it (tethered), crop factor on my Zeiss lenses, difficult to switch to film back back because of the viewfinder mask.
Price: 1200 dollars

Canon 1ds Mark II
Pros: Nice ergonomics, overall fine image quality, portable, nice features and shoots 16 megapixel, good value for the money
Cons: It's not a Blad', image quality not nearly as good as medium format, I'm not familiar with Canon DSLR's and never used one.
Price: 1400 dollars (body) + 600 dollars (Canon 17-40)

I know they are completely different things, but all very tempting. Like I said, I have some money to spend, so I would appreciate it if anybody could give their thoughts/advice?

Thank you,

Well I use a FF Canon with the 17 - 40mm because zoom wise it's as good as Canon have in that range, unfortunately it's not good enough. Nice colour, does not flare, but edges are mush. Even stopped down they ain't great. It works best at 32mm, then it's quite decent.
I get the impression you do this for fun right?
Well if so and you really want some MF shooting, I would go with your Hasselblad V system and a back on that.
You could of course buy my 1DsmkII back-up camera :-)

Kevin.
Kevin.
Pages: [1]   Go Up