Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FYI - 9900 Run On!  (Read 939 times)

Garnick

FYI - 9900 Run On!
« on: February 18, 2011, 05:15:53 pm »

This is not a question, but possibly an answer.  A few days ago I had been printing a quantity of 17x22 comps.  The job had been going on for most of the day, with no printer issues.  I removed a print and loaded another 17x22 sheet as usual.  Sent the file to the printer and then noticed that the print head was simply running the full 44" width, back and forth with no printing at all.  I let it continue for about 5 or 6 passes and then canceled the job, which of course caused the print head to park.  Thinking that I had perhaps selected the wrong driver setting I went through the whole process again, very carefully.  I then knew that I had made no mistakes, but the same thing happened again, no printing, just full width passes.  There were NO messages on the control panel to suggest what the problem might be, so I decided to bypass the computer completely and run a nozzle check from the panel.  Again the same result, not printing, but lots of passes.  I finally decided it was time for a call to Epson.  After listening to my full description of the situation the tech had me try 4 different procedures, including reloading the paper, disconnecting the USB cable and powering down the printer and rebooting.  None of these made any difference.  Finally he asked me to hold, and after a couple of minutes he told me to try another nozzle check and just let the print head run on and see what happened.  After about 15 passes the head finally parked and a few seconds later engaged again and printed the nozzle check. While I had him on the line I also ran a test print and a then a full print, just to be certain it was back to normal.  Although he wasn't certain, he said the he felt it was probably some sort of self testing or calibrating procedure that is run periodically, so if I notice it again in the future I should simply let it continue until completion. Everything has been operating correctly since.

I imagine most of you good folks have already encountered this situation and know how to handle it, but thought I'd pass it along regardless.  There's no mention of this in the manual, but I haven't had time to check the service manual yet.  I hope this might be of some help to those of you who haven't had the pleasure of this experience, YET!

Gary    
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 05:18:57 pm by Garnick »
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Farmer

Re: FYI - 9900 Run On!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 06:00:40 pm »

The tech was right.  We've seen a few examples of this happening.  If you stop it before it finishes, it will just run full length again next time.  It doesn't take too long and uses no ink.  It could be better mentioned in the user guide (like, at all...)
Phil Brown

ghaynes754

Re: FYI - 9900 Run On!
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 11:09:16 pm »

Yep happened to me and I was thanking the stars that I bought an extended warranty only 2 weeks earlier.  Support recognized the message and said let it run.  Something is supposedly does from time to time but my first experience after a year.  Found nothing in the service manual I had for the system message and nothing on Google.
Pages: [1]   Go Up