Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who has owned/used both a G12 and a G11?  (Read 2895 times)

whvick

Who has owned/used both a G12 and a G11?
« on: February 04, 2011, 01:00:02 pm »

I have a canon 20D and 50D.

Now I want a smaller camera to carry in my computer bag as the flash on my A720IS has gone out, and penny pincher that I am, I must decide between a Canon refurb G11 for $270 or a G12 for $430 USD. So I am searching for anyone who can help me decide if it is worth over 50% more to go from the G11 to the G12. I am a real Charlie Brown with these decisions. :o}

I will be taking some video of grandchildren this spring, but do not do enough to justify a camcorder. And I tend to use high iso more than most people. Two reasons to lean to the G12, along with the extra control wheel. But The camera is more at risk to be stolen or broken than my dSLRs by the way I will carry it and use it. And by next summer I can probably get a G12 refurb for about 300 USD.

So one of you guys who has used both
Especially someone who goes between an xxD and a G11 or G12
HELP: which one should Charlie Brown Get, G11 or G12???
Thanks
whvick

DaveL

• http://
Re: Who has owned/used both a G12 and a G11?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 08:47:47 am »

Try a Canon forum where there's a lot of talk....google POTN
There's a separate forum there for G series cameras.
Much talk there about G10 to G12; comparison of G11's too. Good forum with some leaning towards Canon, but tolerance of other choices.

DaveL

edit:  http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=989110
I started this post there; since then I've opted for a different choice. Sold my G11; bought an LX5 Panasonic.

I had a G9 and chose  not to get a G10 when so many found real value with the G10. I did buy the G11 for the articulating screen. It was a real asset to me.
I chose not to get the G12...I found the G11 a pain in a tender spot due to ergonomics...the location of buttons where I invariably hit them with my right thumb. And my first G11 failed (internal battery that maintains date/time.) For me the ergonomics issue hasn't been solved with the G12.

So for me, and for what it's worth, I haven't found value in replacing my G(n) with a G(n+1); they change some things, but not a lot. But I was tempted with an S95 ;) I would have had to add one of Richard Franiec's fine grips!

« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 01:26:40 pm by dlynch »

alanscape

Re: Who has owned/used both a G12 and a G11?
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 08:04:23 am »

I bought a G11 and then won a G12.... the main difference for me was the control wheel at the front. I don't use a still camera
for video and so that's not an issue for me (the G12 is supposed to be better).

I can't see that the extra cash is worth a G12 and it's not a true 'up-grade' from a G11 in my opinion.
Pages: [1]   Go Up