Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Rebel XT  (Read 3626 times)

61Dynamic

• http://
New Rebel XT
« on: February 17, 2005, 11:20:34 pm »

Michael posted it this morning (pacific) along with DPReview. Looks very good.

I'm tempted to get this upgrade since I would benefit quite some bit from the quicker operation and (suposed) better noise handling. Can't wait to see some hands-on and of course, the typical flood of comparisons between it and the 20D (and for some reason the 1D Mk II) that will flood the net.

Looks like us Americans are going to get stuck with blasted chinky silver agian. I hope a black option is available by the time it's released.

Nevermind about the color:
http://www.pma-show.com/review/canon/001_E...l_rebel_xt.html

DaveLon

New Rebel XT
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2005, 05:58:37 pm »

Too bad it uses yet another unique battery.

Dave S

61Dynamic

• http://
New Rebel XT
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2005, 10:00:36 pm »

The idea of having to get new batteries if I were to upgrade to this camera is a bit annoying but I'll forgive them if the smaller handle is confortable to hold.

DaveLon

New Rebel XT
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2005, 02:47:38 pm »

The 350D battery isn't unique; it's the same as the S-xx series has been using. They are using the highest power flavor of that battery, not the original one that appeared in the S-30/40, but it's still been around for over 3 years.
When I said unique I meant it in terms of both the Pro line and the D300, D10 and D20 line.

So if one where to get it as a second body one would need to carry a second charger and second set of batteries.

Dave S

Gary_Berg

New Rebel XT
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2005, 07:34:42 pm »

I'm not sure that I'd call a flash sync upper end of 1/200th as "crippled". Remember, this camera has a reflex mirror like all other xSLR cameras. That mirror's got to move really fast. Making it move faster costs money.

1/200th is typical of a low-medium SLR.

Gary_Berg

New Rebel XT
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2005, 12:37:41 pm »

Canon has a high-speed sync technology on some of their cameras, where the flash strobes multiple times while the shutter moves across the film.

The XT has a focal plane shutter, like almost every other SLR, as far as I know. FP shutters have two curtains, and when you exceed the sync speed the closing curtain has to start moving before the front curtain gets all the way across the film opening/digital sensor.

The max sync speed is the highest speed where the second shutter doesn't start until after the first shutter gets all the way across, so the entire sensor is exposed when the flash goes off. Making the curtains move faster is more expensive.

For what you say you want to do, have you considering using a neutral density filter?

thierrylegros396

New Rebel XT
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2005, 02:50:10 pm »

Just discovered Today

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir....d=11154

Available March 2005

RobertJ

New Rebel XT
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2005, 03:04:34 pm »

Actually, the primary color is now black, with silver available as an option.

T-1000

Gary_Berg

New Rebel XT
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2005, 09:49:25 pm »

The 350D battery isn't unique; it's the same as the S-xx series has been using. They are using the highest power flavor of that battery, not the original one that appeared in the S-30/40, but it's still been around for over 3 years.

Digi-T

New Rebel XT
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2005, 01:05:23 am »

The idea of having to get new batteries if I were to upgrade to this camera is a bit annoying but I'll forgive them if the smaller handle is confortable to hold.
For some it is an upgrade and for others it is a new DSLR. Considering that the battey grip area is an where they made the most changes to the size and weight I can understand Canon's decision to use a smaller battery.

T

yasooo

New Rebel XT
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2005, 07:25:46 am »

Just an interesting note. The Digital Rebel is sold as the Canon Eos Kiss in Japan.  I noticed that the latest promo for this camera is using the KISS logo from the rock band KISS, so I thought what the...?  And look what I found, cute.
http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda....-1.html
 :laugh:

Fred Joseph

New Rebel XT
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2005, 01:31:56 pm »

Seems from all the specification sheets currently available (including the white paper) that this camera has been crippled: Nowhere does it say that flash sync can occur at higher speeds than 1/200 of a second using external accessory flashes. Perhaps someone else has more information on this? ???

Fred Joseph

New Rebel XT
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2005, 11:47:30 pm »

THanks Gary-berg, I'm referring to flash-sync using an external flash gun. Even the lowly digital rebel has high speed sync with external flashes. Limiting the sync to 1/200 sec IS crippling the machine. For doing fill flash at big apertures, the sync speed required EASILY exceeds 1/200 sec. Of course I could be wrong and the camera DOES sync at hync speed with external flashes but Canon has neglected to put that in the specs. Seems unlikely though.....::

Fred Joseph

New Rebel XT
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2005, 03:16:01 pm »

Thanks, I think that should work just fine. ::
Pages: [1]   Go Up