Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mettallurgy Ink Jet Metal review and burn test.  (Read 1674 times)

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Mettallurgy Ink Jet Metal review and burn test.
« on: February 08, 2011, 10:54:02 am »

I am getting ready to call the folks at Mettallurgy4 to discuss the issues I have found with their Ink Jet Metal in my first test. Thought I would post here first.
Opened the package of 5 - 8.5" x 11" sheets to find 4 of the 5 had damage to the front edge. It looks like moisture of some type got on the coating and then caused the sheets to stick together.
For my tests I will proceed with the sheets I have.
Next I measured the thickness at .04 in. (.05 with adhesive)considerably thinner then Epson premium luster photo paper (.09). Pretty darn thin for metal.
Now comes the kicker. It looks like plastic,it feels like plastic. Guess what,it burns like plastic. Thick black smoke too. When I put the fire out the back edge is some form of melted plastic rolled together.
Thats the first time I have ever lit a match to something that was supposed to be metal and it was a raging fire in 4 seconds!
I need to go back a little. When I talked with the salesman I asked him if they have a profile for the product. His response was what is a profile?
Should have been a red flag I know. (Randy C. I know you are rolling on the floor laughing.)
So how did the print come out?  I used Epson PLPP for the paper and Lexjet Metallic's profile. Not a very good first print. I am sure a proper profile would improve the results.Epson 3800 through Lightroom3,720 ppi,2880 dpi,PLPP and Lexjet metallic's profile.
I welcome someone else to try the product and report back as always YOMV.
My apologies for suggesting this product on a previous thread as an alternative metal for inkjet printing. It's certainly not metal and not a media choice I would want to offer. The sheets are a consumer level product for the occasional craft project. Not sure who they will sell the rolls to .

I called the distributor and was told I would have a response from Europe in 24 hours. This non metal info was new to them and I then was told that they are not as familiar with the product as they shoud be. Ahem!

« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 06:16:40 am by Dan Berg »

Randy Carone

Re: Mettallurgy Ink Jet Metal review and burn test.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 12:06:45 pm »

ROFL ::) OK, I got up. I emailed this outfit for samples and the opportunity to be a US distributor and heard - uh - nothing. Probably for the best. I love your attached photo. "Step away from the flame". Made my day.
Randy Carone

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 12:28:37 pm »

Randy,
Thanks for not beating me up on this product.
Just finished scraping the chrome colored surface coating off with a razor. Whats underneath? Clear plastic!
The response back from the company was quick. It is a thin 4 micron alloy coating over a plastic sheet. Maybe thats enough to call it metal?
Oh well enough of that . Back to something a little more profitable.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 03:18:09 pm by Dan Berg »

Randy Carone

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 01:40:53 pm »

Beat you up? You just saved me a couple of emails, a possible phone call (after they don't answer my emails again) and unnecessary testing. Thanks!
Randy Carone

RFPhotography

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 08:47:43 am »

You're a brave and adventurous man indeed, Dan.  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up