Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Network drives / RAID5 comparisons?  (Read 1654 times)

Hunter

Network drives / RAID5 comparisons?
« on: February 24, 2005, 11:57:20 pm »

I can't speak for any particular system, but you might want to throw the Mirra Personal Server into the mix. Some people seem to like it quite a lot although storage max's out around 250 Gigs, (costs around $750). I would like to see a review comparing a few of them together, but so far, no luck.

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 12:42:43 pm »

Somethig like this goes beyond my usual interests, so I'll leave it to someone with more expertise in this area.

I find that a RAID 5 system, or regular backups, both do the job for me, especially when combined with off-site backups of critical files as well.

Michael

rlh1138

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 01:08:15 pm »

Just a quick comment - I use RAID for my main hard drive, in a striping array for the speed.  So I'm somewhat familar with using it and am a fan of what it can do.  But,  if we're thinking about /talking about having secure backups/copies that are easily made and accessed, consider the price of regular hard drives, (very low), and given how easy they are to install, why not consider adding one (or more) hard drives and simply copy your important files to them daily.  I do that, since my RAID array is about speed not security. I have a large, somewhat slow, HD that everything gets copied to in the background. So.. I have two copies of everything without really doing anything special as I work, and of course I burn CDs on a regular schedule.  I think I paid under a $125 for the drive.

Mark Graf

• Nature photography by Mark Graf
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 10:49:38 pm »

I have been searching for a backup system to stick with long term since my digital originals are growing.  I have CDs, DVDs, external hard drives, multiple internal hard drives, etc.   But the idea of having a separate server, accessible by home networking and the internet, with redundant storage, seems like the solution for the long haul.

Michael's review futhered my interest.  In addition, I have been keeping an eye out for availability for this one;

Buffalo Terabyte

I am just wondering how to compare the various terabyte RAID storage systems and what features are most important?   The cost differences between the reviewed system and the Buffalo are significant I believe.
Mark
http:

nnmmaa

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 09:12:42 am »

The issues of backup, redundent data storage and file accessibility are important to all of us. Michael's note about the NAS solution is timely. But it's a challenging problem, not solved by RAID. RAID 5 by itself  protects against single drive failures. However, there are other failure modes (e.g. certain types of power failure) that can corrupt the RAID array, essentially destroying the data.

Professionally, we have found by painful example that one must still have a strong backup system. One should not underestimate the task. Until you have proven that you can recover your data, you can't be sure that your system works. All this requires enduring commitment by those who would rather be making photographs.

It would be useful to invite one or more of the RAID suppliers (e.g. Dynamic Network Factory) to discuss data storage/archival strategies applicable to digital photographers. Professional and amateur photographers typically fall into a different market niche than other customers.  Usually we are on our own, with no IT department to take care of our needs. I believe there is a business opportunity that the manufacturers are not aware of. Perhaps a NAS with automated tape backup could be made affordable? It could be beneficial to all sides if we could educate each other.

Michael, what about trying to follow up on this suggestion?

DiaAzul

• http://photo.tanzo.org/
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2005, 05:12:24 pm »

I am just wondering how to compare the various terabyte RAID storage systems and what features are most important?   The cost differences between the reviewed system and the Buffalo are significant I believe.
The easiest way to break a comparison down is into four components:

1/ The discs
2/ The front end processor
3/ The software
4/ Power and interfaces

The first item, discs, is an obvious cost differentiator. The larger the capacity of the NAS, the faster the discs (spindle speed, read/write times and sustained transfer rate), and the higher the quality then the more expensive and better performing the NAS solution.

The second item is the front end processor. The easiest way to visualise this is to consider the NAS as a dedicated computer with a bunch of discs attached which you connect to the network, though instead of a windows/mac/linux machine you have dedicated processing hardware with custom software loaded. The more powerful this front end processor the more user can be connected to the NAS, the faster the aggregate throughput of data and the more complex features that can be supported. More power, as with computers, equals more cost. Also devices may choose to adopt a software based RAID controller or a hardware solution which will affect performance and cost. In addition the NAS may include such items as caching (in addition to the 8Mbytes that may be on an individual disc) to speed up delivery of frequently accessed files; and may also include non volatile RAM to hold journaling data and to provide greater security of data in the event of a power failure. Both of these items will significantly increase cost.

The third item, software, covers a wide range of options and provides the most visibile differentiation between NAS devices. At a basic level the NAS needs to support various network file systems (SMB/CIFS and NFS) and some form of tool for partioning and maintaing volumes on the disc. Cheap NAS probably use a common disc filing system (FAT32, or one of the linux/unix equivalents), more expensive NAS use custom file systems which deliver better performance. Beyond that you can look at security and whether password can be applied to volumes (a password shared between all users so that they all have equal access to the data on a particular partition), and individual passwords (allowing finer grained security of files). Additional software may be included to allow snapshots to be created, perform accelerated reconstruction of RAID arrays in the event of failure, remote access, remote management, automated backup to other devices...the list goes on and depends how deeply you want to get into such devices and how sophisticated your requirements are.

The final item is power and interfaces. The worst situation is that the power fails whilst you are mid way through writing a file to disc. Whilst the NAS may not include a UPS you still need to make sure that the power supply is good enough quality that it will not burn out during the lifetime of the device (though this can be considered a low risk for reasonably priced systems). When attaching a UPS to the NAS there needs to be a communication between the two devices to ensure that in the event of mains power failure sufficient power is available to ensure that the NAS can shut down gracefully (allowing users to finish writing files and flush all cashed data to the discs) to ensure that there is no loss of data or disc corruption. In addition, you want to make sure that the NAS device can support all data interfaces that you may need: gigabit ethenet, USB in client mode - so that the NAS can be directly connected to your PC if you don't have a network, firewire, USB in server mode if you wish to connect additional discs (though probably not in a RAID configuration unless it is done in software).

At the end of the day the market for NAS devices is sufficiently competitive that you will end up with more perfomance the more money you pay. However, for the solo user there is probably benefit in going a little way up the cost curve (to get good throughput and build quality) but not so far that you are paying for the ability to connect 100s of users and very advanced software features.

In such a short post I have probably missed a bunch of stuff out, but it should give a flavour and a starting point for asking further questions.
David Plummer    http://photo.tanzo.org/

blowery

• http://www.blowery.org/
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2005, 04:02:02 pm »

I just wanted to second what nnmmaa had to say about RAID not really solving this problem.  I recently had my RAID fail (RAID 1) corrupting a good number of files in the process.  Thankfully I had 99% of them backed up to DVD, but I did lost the original of my very first set of bald eagle shots, which didn't make me very happy.   It's important to have a regimine, as spelled out so often on both this site and many others, that copies all of your digital negatives to more than one place at any given time.  

It's great topic, and I'd love to see more discussion on it.  Here's my current, fairly simple process:
1) copy raw / jpegs from flash to RAID 1 hard drive to \photos\negatives\<shooting date>\, leaving the files on the compact flash
2) burn the raw / jpegs off to dvd and verify the burned files
3) process the raws as appropriate to \photos\develops\<shooting date>\ performing light sharpening, but no sharpening for output
4) burn off processed photos to dvd

Then I feel relatively safe.  Extra special stuff I tend to burn more than once on to compact disc, given that blank cds are so ridiculously cheap now.  Works for me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up