Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture software for DSLR use(Breeze/Sofortbild in particular)  (Read 2561 times)

DanielStone

Capture software for DSLR use(Breeze/Sofortbild in particular)
« on: September 04, 2011, 04:51:54 am »

Hey all,

I don't come on here often, but when I do, its usually to browse the MF film/digi forum. I'm still shooting 4x5 and 8x10 film for the majority of my personal work. However, after talking with a good friend over dinner the other night, he told me about this capture software he is using for his home-based portrait studio, as well as weddings and events he also photographs.

The software he uses is from "Breeze Systems"

http://www.breezesys.com/DSLRRemotePro4Mac/index.htm

I have been contemplating the purchase of a DSLR for use primarily as a "proofing" tool, to allow me to test ideas before committing them to film, especially 4x5 or 8x10 sheets(transparencies 75% of the time too mind you). He also alluded to another company that offers their product for free. Apparently its ONLY for Mac, and Nikon users(of which I use both :) ). Free definitely sounds great, but I'd like to get some feedback before taking the "plunge". I usually shoot in a "copy stand" type setup, with the camera(of any format) set up as if copying a flat piece of art/drawing,etc... Even with the 8x10!

So, for those of you who use either of these, could you allude to their pro's/cons? I am currently only shooting my own work now, but after seeing people such as Mitchell Feinberg, I want/need to step up my game big time :)! I'm 23, but after assisting a number of photographers here in LA for the past 3 years, I know that using capture-based software can sure save one's back, especially with the new cameras that have live-view(and supposedly live-view can be viewed remotely on the connected computer, at least in the Breeze software, according to my friend)

thanks for your time!

Dan

p.s. I still plan on shooting my originals onto film, not to be "artsy fartsy", but simply because I like the "feel" that film gives. Digital is great, and if I could afford a 33mp Leaf back(IMO, the best color right out of the back from my experience assisting), I'd love to use that. But Capture 1 isn't free ;). I'm looking for a dependable, rock-solid capture program. cheers

DanielStone

Re: Capture software for DSLR use(Breeze/Sofortbild in particular)
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 04:58:16 am »

oops, after re-reading, it seems that they only have a Canon/Mac version, I'd have to use windows if I used a Nikon...

I have a MBP, and love it to death, but I've had bad run-ins with Windows in the past... Worth it to buy a dedicated laptop for just this purchase? It will boost the price a bit...I already have Nikon glass though(AI/AIS,etc...)

-Dan
Pages: [1]   Go Up