Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alpa getting even more expensive as $ falls  (Read 2703 times)

narikin

Alpa getting even more expensive as $ falls
« on: April 24, 2011, 03:31:49 am »

Noticed how much more expensive Alpa is getting as the $ falls on foreign exchange. It already was very pricey, but has gone up even more in the last few months.

Alpa unlike other manufacturers has a fixed Swiss Franc (CHF) price for their product, and lets the price fall wherever the exchange rate is, so it fluctuates regularly with the market's opinion of the US economy.  Can't see things getting much better for a good while now, quite the opposite most likely.

Dick Roadnight

Re: Alpa getting even more expensive as $ falls
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 04:45:56 am »

Noticed how much more expensive Alpa is getting as the $ falls on foreign exchange. It already was very pricey, but has gone up even more in the last few months.

Alpa unlike other manufacturers has a fixed Swiss Franc (CHF) price for their product, and lets the price fall wherever the exchange rate is, so it fluctuates regularly with the market's opinion of the US economy.  Can't see things getting much better for a good while now, quite the opposite most likely.

...and how can you fix that problem?

As I am in the UK, the $/CHF rate does not bother me... and my wife is having a fun shopping in LA this week, (while visiting her grandchildren).

I think you need to go where the money is good - or sell into a market where the currency is strong.

There are many nice landscapes in the US, but a very great many competent photographers photographing them, so doing freelance landscape work in the US might not be very lucrative.

It might make it a good time for Europeans to buy American kit, but the Kapture Group Quad stitch still seems expensive... and I have plenty of movement for stitch on my Sinar, so I am not bothered.

This might be the right time to buy the Sinar 86H?
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 06:49:42 am »

As macro economists like to say, "You want a weak dollar from 9am to 5pm, and a strong dollar from 5pm to 9pm."  Everything U.S. policy makers are currently doing is centered around the 9-5 problem: Getting people back to work. 

I think smaller companies like Alpa can't fix a price and swallow currency exchanges when they go South.  Canon or other large manufacturers can handle the swinging tide with hedges and reserves.  That's also why you see rebates from those large companies when the dollar is strong.

I'm feeling the pain as I just became an Alpa customer in the last month, and still need another lens or two.  I'm not independently wealthy, so I had to save for a long time and make some choices.  No viewfinder, ground glass, bellows, etc.  But as far as exchange rates, my timing couldn't have been much worse. 

Dave

peegeenyc

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 07:32:55 am »

buy secondhand?

prices there often fail to catch up to recent price increases.

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 09:36:52 am »

So what's new? Think Photoshop prices in Spain or Britain and wonder if Adobe ever stopped to consider why some clever people rip them off. Like music, make it affordable and folks will remain honest. Dream on.

Rob C

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 01:42:38 am »

Well...

When US economy went bust the Dollar went up and our local currency here down. I had a Sony 24-70/2.8 ZA on order and it was delivered at the advertised price of 15000 SEK (about 1500 €) but next day the same company sold it at 25000 SEK (2500 €) so I was lucky.

Now, the Swedish Krona (SEK) is quite strong and USD is weak but prices are still high.

With US having large deficit, Japan stricken by Tsunami and energy crisis and having China and India on the go we need to be prepared for a bumpy ride.

Best regards
Erik

As macro economists like to say, "You want a weak dollar from 9am to 5pm, and a strong dollar from 5pm to 9pm."  Everything U.S. policy makers are currently doing is centered around the 9-5 problem: Getting people back to work. 

I think smaller companies like Alpa can't fix a price and swallow currency exchanges when they go South.  Canon or other large manufacturers can handle the swinging tide with hedges and reserves.  That's also why you see rebates from those large companies when the dollar is strong.

I'm feeling the pain as I just became an Alpa customer in the last month, and still need another lens or two.  I'm not independently wealthy, so I had to save for a long time and make some choices.  No viewfinder, ground glass, bellows, etc.  But as far as exchange rates, my timing couldn't have been much worse. 

Dave
Erik Kaffehr

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 03:20:23 am »

Folks, it is even worse with Alpa here in Hong Kong.  >:( The Hong Kong dollar is steady kept to the US dollar for financial reasons... but that is far from the only thing; the Alpa agent is a gentleman from Beijing who knows zip zil and nothing of technical, zero knowledgeable in technical support, merely a simple business man, the last from his own words. And... he is charging stores here in Hong Kong the per Alpa advertised CHF equivalence per Alpa website and the stores add margins ontop... Last I heard he also upped some because customers in China Mainland complained was cheaper in Hong Kong. The real truth is here is no sales tax, there is 15% such. Normally camera gear is LOWEST in world in Hong Kong and 2/3 - 3/4 of Europe, or low USA prices... sometimes lower.

Alpa pricing policy totally suck! I have been wanting to buy an Alpa for months. Above has kept me from it. One would think Alpa in Switzerland wished to wake up... to what go on here. Apperant they are happy of their sales in Mainland China... where their customers apparent equally are getting ripped off!

And no, dealers in other places are not permitted to sell to me here in Hong Kong due Alpa policies. Add to this... I live here temporary, am not even from here.

Someone from Alpa need to kick their agent for China really strong in his REAR!

Regards
Anders
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 03:22:14 am by Anders_HK »
Pages: [1]   Go Up