Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anybody successfully using HP APS with Mac OS 10.6?  (Read 1383 times)

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
Anybody successfully using HP APS with Mac OS 10.6?
« on: January 15, 2011, 01:36:35 pm »

Ever since I upgraded to 10.6 (now running 10.6.6), my APS software has been dysfunctional.  I get flakey monitor profiles, and when I try to profile papers with my printer the APS software fails to recognize my printer.  I've tried selecting various connection methods to communicate with the printer, but it always shows Not Connected in the status window and No Paper Found for Calibration Status.  I have APS v1.4.1, which seems to be the last version developed before they abandoned it.  I have tried reinstalling a fresh copy of APS several times, but no luck.  I would normally try to trash the preferences, but can't seem to find where the preferences are hiding.  Any suggestions?
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

a.lorge

Re: Anybody successfully using HP APS with Mac OS 10.6?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 03:10:56 pm »

I had the same connection problem when I upgraded from 10.4 to 10.6.  What fixed it for me was to enable color management, either from the front panel or through the printer utility.  For some reason I can't add or manage papers with color management disabled. Which I seem to recall being able to do before upgrading to 10.6.  It took me several hours (and two unproductive calls to HP support) to figure this out.  I've also mangled quite a few prints by forgetting to turn it back off after making a profile. 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 03:25:16 pm by a.lorge »

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 11:10:37 pm »

I appreciate the help, but unfortunately, that's not the magic bullet for me, as it was already turned on.  Any other suggestions from anybody?  I should mention that I'm connected with an ethernet cable using a Bonjour connection.  I used to use a LPD connection, but that stopped working after the last firmware upgrade for me.  The only connectivity trick I haven't tried is using USB, but that isn't a very good option for me as the printer is in the next room from my computer that feeds it.

Just out of curiosity, does that mean that you are running APS on 10.6 with no issues?  Do you get wildly erratic results when you try monitor profiling, or does that part work correctly, too?  Part way through the monitor profiling process I can see the colors in the APS interface change and become way oversaturated.  The profile graph it produces looks like the Roc Mountains instead of a near straight diagonal line.

Still hoping that deleting the APS preferences will help, but can't seem to find them . . .
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 11:27:32 pm by Colorwave »
-Ron H.

a.lorge

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 11:06:11 am »

Sorry that didn't help you.  The APS paper profiling works fine.  I haven't used APS to calibrate a monitor in a while (been using an i1).  I'll give it a shot tomorrow to see if it works.   My network setup is very basic.  Using a bonjour connection with a switch connecting the computer, a z3100, and a z3200.  Other than APS, the printer connectivity seems to be ok?  Are you having any trouble profiling papers through the Printer Utility? 

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 11:22:01 am »

Thanks, a.lorge.

For the record, no issues with print connectivity or profiling with the HP Utility, just APS.  Out of desperation, I moved the computer closer last night and connected via USB and found that APS was able to see the printer and build a profile, so it seems like it is just an issue with ethernet connection.  It's a PITA workaround, but at least I don't need to profile new papers very often.

Regarding the monitor profiling, though, there isn't a different connection that is going to solve anything.  It just seems to be some sort of corruption that creeps in midway into the process and forces APS to generate bad color patches, which in turn lead to horribly skewed profiles.  I can see when the problem occurs, which is not always at exactly the same step in the process, but it always affects both the APS interface and the colors it produces for the sensor puck.  After trying to get tech support for APS much earlier in the game, not long after I purchased my printer, I'm not going to waste my time trying to call HP about it.  Especially, now that I will need to pay for the call(s).  They have a "Color Team" that is the only one trained in APS and you have to beg and plead to get them to call you back.  The normal first and second level techs say that they aren't even allowed to patch callers directly into those people.  Once they finally call back, if they even do, they only seem vaguely familiar with it, as it is really an X-Rite product.  I've had both good and bad experiences with HP tech support over the last couple of years, but the APS side of things was universally bad.
-Ron H.
Pages: [1]   Go Up