Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ipf x300 and vinyl and media types... VERY strange results  (Read 985 times)

shewhorn

• http://
ipf x300 and vinyl and media types... VERY strange results
« on: December 29, 2010, 09:36:15 pm »

So I'm trying to build a media type for Duragraphix Bannerjet which is a vinyl media.

I created 4 different media types with different max ink usages (medium low, medium (standard) medium high, and high) based on the ScrimBannrVinyl media type.

I printed out some targets, scanned them in, built some profiles and then brought them into ColorThink Pro. The gamut volumes make absolutely NO sense whatsoever. Here's what I'm getting for various max ink usage settings:

Medium Low: 413,576
Medium: 405,105
Medium High: 414,572
High: 406,289

Ummm... come again? I immediately thought user error so I reprinted and rescanned the targets with identical results. I also checked to see if I made an error when building the media types. I did not. These are the results I'm getting.

Anyone care to venture a guess as to what the heck is going on?

Cheers, Joe

Scott Martin

• Onsight
Re: ipf x300 and vinyl and media types... VERY strange results
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 05:19:22 pm »

Sounds like it's not coated for inkjet printing - or at least not the side you're using. Could they have rolled it with the coated side to the inside? If you lick you fingers and grab the paper, does one side stick to a finger?
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

shewhorn

• http://
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 04:55:56 pm »

Sounds like it's not coated for inkjet printing - or at least not the side you're using. Could they have rolled it with the coated side to the inside? If you lick you fingers and grab the paper, does one side stick to a finger?

Yes... the "printable" side sticks. It also lights up like a Christmas tree under a black light so I'm pretty sure I have the right side (it's whiter and has less texture than the back side). :)

Cheers, Joe

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 08:30:52 am »

So how do the profiling targets look? Are they visually suffering from a weak DMax and gamut? With these numbers you should be able to see a problem before you even start measuring. If there's no problem with the target printing process and you're seeing these results on the printable side then it's hard not to think this is a lower quality product, at least for inkjet printing. Could this be a material that's normally available for the signage market and for UV curable or solvent printing? Is it specifically compatible for pigment based inkjet printing?
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up