Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: aged or yellowed paper for printing  (Read 1051 times)

AppleTree

aged or yellowed paper for printing
« on: December 26, 2010, 06:09:32 pm »

I have some charcoal drawings my dad did many years ago and I would like to sell copies of them in my gallery. Stark white paper would like silly and make them look harsh to the eye. Are there any papers that mimic drawing paper, especially old drawing paper? I use an Epson 7800 for color and Epson 7600 dedicated to only BW.

deanwork

Re: aged or yellowed paper for printing
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 06:18:45 pm »

As far as coated papers go I don't know of any good ones.

What I have done for years is to print a very light sepia ground on the paper first, let that dry and run it back through with the image on top. This gives you a totally convincing and very controllable aged look to the paper. We've done some very large repros of 17th century engraved maps and it looked great.

AppleTree

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 08:57:41 pm »

What color sepia? Like the Photoshop one of R 225, G 211 B 179 or something else? Probably lighter though. I like your idea.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 09:24:53 pm »

You might want to take a look at Hahnemuhle Bamboo.  It has a warm yellowish cast to it.

Alan

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 05:13:39 am »

The Pictorico MW1PH Art Kenaf 132, 157 grams, has that very warm/grey white. More than Bamboo or Sugar Cane. Dual Sided coated but one side a very Torchon like texture, the other side smooth. No large fibers like in the other Kenaf and oriƫntal papers.

That written I usually do what John does or print the paper color together with the image in one step.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

New: Spectral plots of +180 inkjet papers:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up