Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cannon edMark 2 verses......  (Read 1828 times)

littlegreenfrog

Cannon edMark 2 verses......
« on: January 18, 2011, 06:30:46 am »

Hi all,

New to this fantastic forum and glad I found it.

My query is this. I have recently started with a new 'e-commerce' company shooting clothing/still life etc... for in the main websites.
Having been asked to compile a list of new equipment (have been using freelancers for the last couple of years and have no gear), I suggested we opt for the Cannon 5D m2. Good for what we require, standard issue in the industry without going down the medium/large format option.

I have been informed that we will be opting for the ........60d instead. It seems the company owner received one of these as a gift and cannot see past it.
I have tried to put my argument across professionally, listing all DP Review can say about both cameras and that the later would not be used in general for the pro market. All on deaf ears.
I would like to hear if anyone can help me further in convincing the boss that we should stay clear of such a camera which is aimed at the amateur market,.

Any help you can give me would be warmly appreciated and thanked with a virtual pint.

Kindest regards,

Kevin

MrSmith

Re: Cannon edMark 2 verses......
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 06:45:51 am »

it's for e-commerce so no bigger than 1000x1000?
no wideangle needed?

60d will be fine

littlegreenfrog

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 07:07:46 am »

Sorry, I can't agree.
Will be shooting video and campaign work. Will also be looking to broaden our client list.
Plus, would you be happy in front of clients shooting on an amateur spec camera?

MrSmith

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 08:45:05 am »

when you said e-commerce then i assumed product shots for the web not ad campaigns.
i use a 5dII 'prosumer' camera, but my clients seem more interested in the results.
i have no idea of the video specs for the 60d but if they are of a similar quality as the 5dII and at least 720 then for web use it should be more than adequate no?
unfortunately bean counters will be happier spending just enough to get adequate results, i would rather have a RED and p60 but it's me paying the bills. 

littlegreenfrog

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 08:49:35 am »

Ah, my fault. Sorry, wasn't to clear with that.

Yip, it's a fair point you put across. Bean counters have the final say.

Cheers for your help.

Policar

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 01:04:46 pm »

The 60d is better for video than the 5DII.  A stop noisier, maybe (not really an issue since still fine at 800ISO), but with substantially less skew and a rotating LCD.  

Unless you're printing larger than 16X20 I can't see 5D offering substantially better image quality for those kinds of purposes.  But I agree, it's a much better camera and does look a lot more impressive for clients.  60d does kind of scream "prosumer."  I guess you can always get a huge lens and battery grip to compensate.  Try to at least get a good lens out of it; the kit lens is not usable for that kind of photography.

If you weren't doing video I'd suggest looking into the original 5D used.  It's cheaper than the 60d and should outperform it by a significant margin.  Looks impressive, too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up