Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Opening TIFF's in ACR 6.3 from CS5  (Read 4083 times)

Pete Berry

Opening TIFF's in ACR 6.3 from CS5
« on: December 07, 2010, 12:34:39 am »

Is there a way I have missed to export a TIFF file from CS5 back to ACR 6.3? I occasionally need to touch up color temp, or re-access the Clarity filter - both not available AFAIK in CS5 - or open a saved TIFF in ACR for the same reasons. Have Vista-32bit OS, and I don't use Bridge.

The only way I have found at all is to set ACR preferences in CS5 to open TIFF's, but then it's an all or none thing, and if enabled, if you right-click on a folder thumbnail and select CS5 to open, it goes straight to ACR first.

Thanks for any help,

Pete

stamper

Re: Opening TIFF's in ACR 6.3 from CS5
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 04:18:38 am »

I had the same problem recently. Like you I don't use Bridge - I don't catalogue my images, life is too short - but the only solution I found was to use Bridge. I don't think a third party program will do - I may be wrong - what you want. If you get a solution please post. Regarding Clarity there are other solutions. Clarity is a mid tone sharpening method. What I use is Viveza 2. Costly but but worthwhile imo.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 05:56:32 am »

Is there a way I have missed to export a TIFF file from CS5 back to ACR 6.3? I occasionally need to touch up color temp, or re-access the Clarity filter - both not available AFAIK in CS5 - or open a saved TIFF in ACR for the same reasons. Have Vista-32bit OS, and I don't use Bridge.

The only way I have found at all is to set ACR preferences in CS5 to open TIFF's, but then it's an all or none thing, and if enabled, if you right-click on a folder thumbnail and select CS5 to open, it goes straight to ACR first

Hi Pete,

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but why not just use "Open As" and select "Camera Raw" as file type. That will re-open a TIFF in ACR.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

stamper

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 09:50:18 am »

The problem is that Camera Raw is integrated with Photoshop so I think that >Open with Camera Raw is only available from within Bridge.

Pete Berry

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 12:27:54 pm »

Hi Pete,

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but why not just use "Open As" and select "Camera Raw" as file type. That will re-open a TIFF in ACR.

Cheers,
Bart

Thanks Bart. This solves part of the problem by allowing opening outside TIFF files to ACR, and  thumbnails directly to CS5 by disabling the ACR preference of TIFF file support. I had assumed with that disabled, no TIFF's are supported in ACR,  but it's actually just for default opening there of all TIFF's. But from within CS5, will have to save the file then "Open As" selecting Camera Raw.

Like "stamper" Bridge is just not an option for an ancient guy like me with a well-oiled file system. Lightroom would probably do it also, no? But my two hour trial of that last year left me so PO'd at their re-inventing the wheel for every simple operation, etc.....Life's too damned short as it is!

Thanks for replying, folks,

Pete

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 12:13:57 am »

Just a small point which I found a bit perplexing until I worked it out - To the best of my knowledge ACR won't open Tiff's unless they are flattened files - any layers and they can't be opened in ACR.

Julie

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2010, 12:50:59 am »

...To the best of my knowledge ACR won't open Tiff's unless they are flattened files...

Correct...the reasoning is that a layered file is intended to be opened in Photoshop where the layers are important. If you want to open a tiff in ACR you need to actively commit to a flattened tiff file to edit it.

pmanuel

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2010, 04:28:30 pm »

Thanks Bart. This solves part of the problem by allowing opening outside TIFF files to ACR, and  thumbnails directly to CS5 by disabling the ACR preference of TIFF file support. I had assumed with that disabled, no TIFF's are supported in ACR,  but it's actually just for default opening there of all TIFF's. But from within CS5, will have to save the file then "Open As" selecting Camera Raw.

Like "stamper" Bridge is just not an option for an ancient guy like me with a well-oiled file system. Lightroom would probably do it also, no? But my two hour trial of that last year left me so PO'd at their re-inventing the wheel for every simple operation, etc.....Life's too damned short as it is!

Thanks for replying, folks,

Pete

Bridge will simply mirror your well-oiled file system and give you a convenient way to browse it, then offer you choices as to how you open your files. Bridge does not create a catalog or mess with your well-oiled file system. Life is too damned short not to take advantage of every time saving and productivity aid available.
Pages: [1]   Go Up