Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New to the forum and fairly new to photography  (Read 2493 times)

bgreer

New to the forum and fairly new to photography
« on: December 19, 2010, 04:57:40 pm »

Hello all, my name is Bryan. Recently I've been researching the upcoming purchase of a new DSLR. Years ago (early 80's) I shot film with a Pentax K1000....after a long absence 2 years ago my daughter bout me a Sony A200 DSLR. Had alot of fun with it and got fair at taking some nice photo's. I'll post a couple of my favs later. Its time to upgrade my equipment and I have narrowed the feild to 3 choices. I'll list them in their current, though mayhap not permanent order of choice.

Sony A55 pros- 10fps, articulating screen, HDR overlay, panoramic 3D,2D
              cons- lens choices, overheating, short battery life, video

Canon 60D Pros- 18 mp, Articulating screen, size (large hands)
               cons- need more research

Nikon D7000 Pros- Nikkor lenses, twin sdhc slots, ability to format one as jpg one as raw, video
                 cons- no articulating screen, just under 6fps

Ok, I know I need to research further, that's why I'm here. What are your thoughts?

ronkruger

• Outdoor writer/photographer for over 30 years.
Re: New to the forum and fairly new to photography
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 05:17:07 pm »

Any of the three would be good choices, but among them I'd probably choose the 60D. Also check out the Pentax K5.
In the end, the only things that matter are the people we help and the people we hurt. Google Ron Kruger and click on any link to Photoshelter

bgreer

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 06:21:34 pm »

Well...that's an interesting camera....hmmmm...gettiing close to the point where I just shut up and buy one

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 07:12:39 pm »

All the cameras listed (K5 included) are excellent choices and will make excellent pictures, and won't let you down. These days image quality is so close with these cameras, that the choice is best made based on ergonomics, UI and lens selection. Ergonomics and UI are mostly personal preference, and in lenses Canon and Nikon have the widest selection, although perhaps not the best prices.

Those pipes must be loud as hell ;D

bgreer

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 08:28:25 pm »

I'm not quite up on the lingo....just what is UI....and yes, the pipes are very loud...it took me 5 years to build the bike, and some times I think it will take me that long to choose a DSLR...not really, I've only been looking for a month...the Lady and the bike are my other hobbies.....I've done pretty well with those, I hope I do as well with photography.

stever

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 08:35:49 pm »

dpreview has reviews of all three

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 08:43:29 pm »

I'm not quite up on the lingo....just what is UI....and yes, the pipes are very loud...it took me 5 years to build the bike, and some times I think it will take me that long to choose a DSLR...not really, I've only been looking for a month...the Lady and the bike are my other hobbies.....I've done pretty well with those, I hope I do as well with photography.

UI = User Interface - the software and buttons.

degrub

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 08:45:36 pm »

UI = User Interface - aka buttons and menus.

i carry a plastic laminated version of mine so i can find options easily while i learn.

Pages: [1]   Go Up