Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson SC-P800 inks and “use by” date  (Read 602 times)

AlexandreK

• Alexandre Kapellos
Epson SC-P800 inks and “use by” date
« on: October 19, 2019, 10:01:00 am »

Hi
In December 2016 I bought an Epson SC-P800 for a photography project I was working on at the time. I also bought and extra set of ink cartridges.
Almost 3 years later and despite a lot of printing I’m still using about half of the original cartridges sold with the printer, while the other half (from the extra set) have a “use by” date of 2017. On top of that, Epson states that opened cartridges should be used within 6 months…
What’s the consensus here about Epson ink cartridges and the “use by” date? Does it have an effect on print quality? Durability? Aging?
Regards, Alexandre

Garnick

Re: Epson SC-P800 inks and “use by” date
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 10:31:49 am »

Hi
In December 2016 I bought an Epson SC-P800 for a photography project I was working on at the time. I also bought and extra set of ink cartridges.
Almost 3 years later and despite a lot of printing I’m still using about half of the original cartridges sold with the printer, while the other half (from the extra set) have a “use by” date of 2017. On top of that, Epson states that opened cartridges should be used within 6 months…
What’s the consensus here about Epson ink cartridges and the “use by” date? Does it have an effect on print quality? Durability? Aging?
Regards, Alexandre

Hello Alexandre and welcome to LuLa  :)

I'm sure the consensus concerning the unopened carts will be that the expiry date is mostly irrelevant, since most of the of us use outdated carts with no negative results.  However, I cannot say for sure that I have used opened carts beyond the six month point that Epson has apparently stated, something I had never seen or heard until now.  When I remove a low cart I immediately place a piece of masking tape over the ink port and then put in a tight fitting plastic bag, preferable one of the original cart bags, and seal the bag as well as possible.  I also mildly agitate those carts regular to keep the pigments in solution.  However, I do have several almost empty carts that are probably past the 6 month date, so I am now rather reticent to use them again.  Other than that, I along with many others here, have never had any particular fear of using carts with expiry dates that have exceeded there time by at least a year or more.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 10:36:25 am by Garnick »
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

rdonson

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 09:00:37 pm »

I think Gary's response covered the topic well.
Regards,
Ron

AlexandreK

• Alexandre Kapellos
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 04:28:41 pm »

Gary, thank you for your answer. I’ll keep on printing with the installed cartridges… and print more often.
BTW, on page 19 of the User Guide (“Notes on handling ink cartridges”), it says “For optimum print quality, we recommend using within six months after installing the printer.” I guess Epson wants to sell us more ink…   ;)
Regards, Alexandre
Pages: [1]   Go Up