Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: G12 viewfinder accuracy?  (Read 3360 times)

Mark F

G12 viewfinder accuracy?
« on: December 12, 2010, 02:12:17 pm »

I'm looking for a quality small camera for my son and was thinking about the Canon G12.  I own a G9 and except for the viewfinder am quite pleased. I find the viewfinder to be so inaccurate as to be almost useless, and wonder if the G12 is better?  Does anyone know if the Nikon Coolpix 7000 has an accurate viewfinder?

THanks.
Mark

Gary Brown

Re: G12 viewfinder accuracy?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 02:37:54 pm »

I find the viewfinder to be so inaccurate as to be almost useless, and wonder if the G12 is better?  Does anyone know if the Nikon Coolpix 7000 has an accurate viewfinder?

FWIW, Thom Hogan's review comparing the P7000, G12, and LX-5 says, “If you don't want to look at an LCD to frame shots, the Canon and Nikon both have terrible optical viewfinders. Yes, they deserve the adjective (terrible). They zoom with the lens, but they provide ~80-85% views that aren't parallax corrected. They can't be used for precision framing.”

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 05:50:54 pm »

FWIW, Thom Hogan's review comparing the P7000, G12, and LX-5 says, “If you don't want to look at an LCD to frame shots, the Canon and Nikon both have terrible optical viewfinders. Yes, they deserve the adjective (terrible). They zoom with the lens, but they provide ~80-85% views that aren't parallax corrected. They can't be used for precision framing.”
That has certainly been my experience with the G10. Not a bad little camera but the viewfinder, which was a significant factor in my choosing the camera over the competition (whatever that might then have been), is pretty much worthless.

Jeremy

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 06:53:24 pm »

That has certainly been my experience with the G10. Not a bad little camera but the viewfinder, which was a significant factor in my choosing the camera over the competition (whatever that might then have been), is pretty much worthless.

Jeremy
I totally agree with what Jeremy said. My G10 taught me (very grudgingly) to learn to frame by the LCD on the back, which is, of course, virtually impossible if the sun is shining.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Mark F

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 10:58:06 pm »

Thanks to all and thanks Gary for the Hogan review - it's very helpful.  It seems like both the Canon and Nikon models have useless viewfinders.
Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up