Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Arca Swiss Question  (Read 2634 times)

gazwas

Arca Swiss Question
« on: December 06, 2010, 05:19:37 am »

Im looking at purchasing an Arca Swiss 6x9 camera and would like some advise as to my choice of model.

The main use of the camera will be studio products with either a longer focal length or macro lens. However, it will also be used to shoot some interiors with wide angle lenses. My first choice is the F-Line Compact Metric 6x9 but but I have read you are unable to use this camera with 35mm and wider lenses in conjunction with the Arca Rotaslide. Does this mean my choice is limited to the M-line two as I believe this is fine with this combination.

Also, I have never used LF 6x9 with digital and the new digital lenses (4x5 film and MF DSLR's only) so I'm a little confused with the focal lengths of the Digital lenses. Is the FOV of a LF 35mm Digital lens equivalent to a MF 35mm lens etc?

Thanks in advance.
trying to think of something meaningful........ Err?

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: Arca Swiss Question
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 08:13:04 am »

Also, I have never used LF 6x9 with digital and the new digital lenses (4x5 film and MF DSLR's only) so I'm a little confused with the focal lengths of the Digital lenses. Is the FOV of a LF 35mm Digital lens equivalent to a MF 35mm lens etc?

Correct. The FOV of a lens depends only on the sensor/film it's used with, NOT the body/platform you are using it with.

Given a P45+ for instance the field of view is the same between a 50mm on a Phase One DF, Mamiya RZ Pro IID, or Arca Swiss 6x9.

ChristopherBarrett

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 09:16:41 am »

I have used 6/9 F Metrics with 35mm lenses and sliding backs, but that's definitely the widest you'll be able to go.  My M2 has no problem with that as the standards can actually touch each other.  I highly recommend the M2 over the F-Metric because of it's greater rigidity and precision.  Also, the M2 isn't really any heavier than the F.

I shoot a P65+ and the 35mm is comparable to something like a 24 on 35mm cameras.

More M2 info here ;)

Cheers,
CB

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 09:27:25 am »

Im looking at purchasing an Arca Swiss 6x9 camera and would like some advise as to my choice of model.

The main use of the camera will be studio products with either a longer focal length or macro lens. However, it will also be used to shoot some interiors with wide angle lenses. My first choice is the F-Line Compact Metric 6x9 but but I have read you are unable to use this camera with 35mm and wider lenses in conjunction with the Arca Rotaslide. Does this mean my choice is limited to the M-line two as I believe this is fine with this combination.

Thanks in advance.

If the majority of your work is in the studio or interiors you should consider skipping the sliding back option and using a direct adapter with Live View, then you'll have a bit more to play with in terms of sensor-to-lens distance

Yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

gazwas

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 09:32:29 am »

I shoot a P65+ and the 35mm is comparable to something like a 24 on 35mm cameras.

Thanks Doug/Chris. The 35mm sounds like the ideal for interiors.

Chris, how have you found the reduced number of movements in the M-line 2 over the standard camera/F Metric? Have you ever come across any situation that you needed more movements on the standards.

ChristopherBarrett

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 09:39:40 am »

My Go To lens has been the 43, 35 is a little wide for my taste.  Schneider has been promising a 28 for months and months, not sure if that ones out yet.  I go that wide so infrequently, though, that I'll just use the 5d2 w/ 17 TS-e.

The M2 generally has more movement than the digital lenses cover.  It's possible to run out of movement with the really long ones, but I never have.

CB

dkaufman

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 11:43:01 am »

I have an Arca Swiss M-line two. The problem with 35mm lenses are two fold: The Rodenstock 35mm lens has only a 70mm image circle which is rather small for almost any sensor's movements. The Schneider 35mm, which has an image circle of 90mm, has a short flange focal distance of 39mm I believe which means it must be used with a doubly recessed (15mm) lens board, which is pain to use, and there is a concommitant problem with this lens and light fall-off for some sensors. So the choices in 35mm are not too good. For real wide angle using a Rodenstock 40mm and stitching with the M-Line two is a better choice. There is also a new Rodenstock 32mm HR lens coming out which will probably be excellent but extremely pricey (way more than the cost of the camera).

D.K.

www.davidkaufmanphotography.com

ChristopherBarrett

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 11:52:19 am »

The recessed board is a bit of a drag.  I'd forgotten all about that.  I've only been using the 35 on the Rm3d since I got that.  I've been happy with my Schneider 35.

CB

gazwas

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 03:48:35 pm »

Thanks for the replies, they're really appreciated.

Looks like its the M-Line 2 then and the bonus is its actually cheaper than the F-Line Metric. (???) Not sure why but good news. Next i've got to chose the lenses........ Rodenstock or Schneider.  :)

ChristopherBarrett

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 04:08:36 pm »

Rodenstock or Schneider.  :)

BOTH!  I tried to pick the best of each focal length.

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 05:18:39 pm »

Rodenstock 32
Rodenstock 40
Rodenstock 70
Rodenstock 90

Schneider 43
Schneider 150

Can't say anything about the new 28 from Schneider, but I'm not sure if it gets close to the 32 from Rodenstock.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p
Pages: [1]   Go Up