Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone used the Rollei Lens Control S?  (Read 5037 times)

GMohrs

Anyone used the Rollei Lens Control S?
« on: December 22, 2010, 03:25:33 am »

I've used one for the past decade, so it's admittedly a relic. Recently teamed up with a Eyelike M22 (also a bit of a relic). I can't figure out what computer this device is compatible with in this configuration. The camera works fine on an old G4 ibook. But then I tried it with an Intel equipped iMac, and it just didn't function right. The software seemed to work except for the communication with the Rollei Lens Control. I could fire off an image using the manual buttons on the unit itself, but not from my computer's desktop, and the Live Preview did not work.

I figured the software was having issues with the Intel machine, so I next tried a G5 iMac and the same result! Is the Rollei only compatible with G4's or something? Would a firmware update to the lens control unit solve the problem? If so, how to I get that firmware update?

Help!!

Thanks!!

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
Re: Anyone used the Rollei Lens Control S?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 03:51:20 am »

I've used one for the past decade, so it's admittedly a relic. Recently teamed up with a Eyelike M22 (also a bit of a relic). I can't figure out what computer this device is compatible with in this configuration. The camera works fine on an old G4 ibook. But then I tried it with an Intel equipped iMac, and it just didn't function right. The software seemed to work except for the communication with the Rollei Lens Control. I could fire off an image using the manual buttons on the unit itself, but not from my computer's desktop, and the Live Preview did not work.

I figured the software was having issues with the Intel machine, so I next tried a G5 iMac and the same result! Is the Rollei only compatible with G4's or something? Would a firmware update to the lens control unit solve the problem? If so, how to I get that firmware update?

Help!!

Thanks!!

I believe you are missing a cable that connects the back to the B port on control unit. This will allow you to control it from the software. Maybe Sinar can help you finding one of those

good luck

yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 04:29:41 am »

I've got one sitting here on my desk right now actually.  I have not used the M22 so can't say for certain but the typical connection has one port on the Lens Control to the shutter and the other to the digital back just as Yair wrote.  The cable that connects the digital back to the lens control often is a two or three part affair (certainly for the phase backs) but always includes this cable if I'm not mistaken: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/375793-REG/Rollei_66493_Interface_Cable.html   If you're lucky that fits the back directly, but if not you have to find a 2nd cable to daisy chain to that cable that will fit the back.
Rolleiflex USA

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 04:30:35 am »

I have one of those control cables somewhere in my closet. I got it for the M22 I wanted to use but I never used the M22 when I found out that it could only be used on the H1 with a sync cable. This cable has no use for me at this moment.

My cable goes in to this port on the M22

And hence in the Rollei Lenscontrol S control cable.

BTW. I got it to work on my Intel based MacPro but I could not change things like aperture or shutterspeed. This I needed to do on the Lenscontrol S. I could trigger the back with all forms of capture (single, single+1, 4-shot & 16shot).

Search on the net for the way to read the Lenscontrol S firmware version. You have to press a button while starting up the Lenscontrol S to get to the firmware. I don't recall the exact button but it should be fairly easy to find. Not sure where you can get the firmware updated at this moment.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 05:43:31 am by Dustbak »

edwinb

• http://www.image2output.com
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 07:02:05 am »

http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/foto_e/zubehoer_digital.htm this site lists all the connections and configurations for electronic controls
all the cables to the precision are available - look for 'trigger' or 'winder' depending on which connector your trying to connect with
edwin
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 09:19:04 am by edwinb »
Edwin Blenkinsopp
Technical Manager
image2output
m:  +44 (0) 7836 674749
e: edwin@image2output.com
w: Sinar |  Foba |Inkjet

GMohrs

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 01:45:09 pm »

I have all of the necessary cables. I've been using the back and it has been working fine with a G4iBook. But I'm trying to upgrade the computer to as new as possible and still be able to work with the camera. I tried a Intel iMac and there was no communication between the software on the computer and the lens control unit. So next I tried a G5 iMac and had the same results. Why wouldn't this work with a G5?? Am I stuck using this camera with a G4?

gfsymon

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 06:44:34 pm »

I have an M22 and I've used a LensControl S since 1999.  It works with my Unibody MacBook Pro (late 2008) running MacOS 10.6.5.  I use the Eyelike software Capture Pro, 4.3.5.3.  (You can download this from the Sinar website).  I control the LensControl from my Mac.  I occasionally have some connection hiccups, but I believe this to be a sync cable problem.  There is also a slight memory issue when shooting mutli-shot (not clearing).  No problem with the captures though.

I suggest you delete all files installed by the Eyelike software, then re-install.  One that can cause problems, when there is an older version, is the FireCamJ.framework.  You will find it in the HD/Library/Frameworks folder.  Just trash it then re-install.

GMohrs

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 12:25:19 am »

I have an M22 and I've used a LensControl S since 1999.  It works with my Unibody MacBook Pro (late 2008) running MacOS 10.6.5.  I use the Eyelike software Capture Pro, 4.3.5.3.  (You can download this from the Sinar website).  I control the LensControl from my Mac.  I occasionally have some connection hiccups, but I believe this to be a sync cable problem.  There is also a slight memory issue when shooting mutli-shot (not clearing).  No problem with the captures though.

I suggest you delete all files installed by the Eyelike software, then re-install.  One that can cause problems, when there is an older version, is the FireCamJ.framework.  You will find it in the HD/Library/Frameworks folder.  Just trash it then re-install.

Wow, gfsymon. That is really surprising info. So you are able to get both the eyelike and the Rollei Lens Control to work on an Intel equipped Mac running Snow Leopard? That's good to know and it kind of leaves me wondering about the firmware on my Lens Control unit. Do you happen to know what version of the firmware you have? Also, do you know where I would go to get mine updated?

gfsymon

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 02:52:26 pm »

I have never upgraded the firmware on my LensControl.  So it's 1999 vintage.

GMohrs

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 03:16:41 am »

I have never upgraded the firmware on my LensControl.  So it's 1999 vintage.

Well, I am totally stumped then. I had thought a 24" Intel iMac running OSX 10.5.6 and the Eyelike Capture 4.3.5.3 would be a good combo. But for me this didn't work out at all. Like I said, The back and lens control worked perfectly in every shoot mode on my iBook G4. But when connected to the 24" iMac, the software seems to run fine, but the live preview will not work, and if I attempt to change the shutter speed or f-stop on the computer I get an error message. I can use the Rollei Unit to adjust the speed and aperture and trigger an exposure, but that's pretty useless unless I can compose with live view. I'm at a loss to understand why everything is working well for you on a modern laptop, but I can't even get mine top work properly on a G5, let alone Intel??

gfsymon

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 04:24:56 am »

Live View doesn't require the LensControl.  It just needs an open shutter.  If you take the M22 off the camera when in Live View, then you will see the image go white, from over-exposure.  That means it's working.

I'm fairly certain that the problem is with the software installation.  Have you trashed everything?  That means in the HD/Library/Eyelike folder, also the Framework in the HD/Library/Framework folder, then the HD/Library/Preferences, then in the UserAccount ; User/Library/ApplicationSupport/Eyelike, User/Library/Preferences/.  Do a search in the libraries for anything Eyelike (I may have forgotten something).

Do you have any other Eyelike software installed, perhaps for a different back?

All I can tell you, is that it has worked on every computer I've used in the last 10 years.  G3, G4, G5, Intel, so if the LensControl and M22 are working on your G4, then it is clearly not a hardware problem with the LensControl, or the M22, so it must be software. (Accepting that I haven't tried it on the most recent Intels).

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 06:23:04 am »

Well, I am totally stumped then. I had thought a 24" Intel iMac running OSX 10.5.6 and the Eyelike Capture 4.3.5.3 would be a good combo. But for me this didn't work out at all. Like I said, The back and lens control worked perfectly in every shoot mode on my iBook G4. But when connected to the 24" iMac, the software seems to run fine, but the live preview will not work, and if I attempt to change the shutter speed or f-stop on the computer I get an error message. I can use the Rollei Unit to adjust the speed and aperture and trigger an exposure, but that's pretty useless unless I can compose with live view. I'm at a loss to understand why everything is working well for you on a modern laptop, but I can't even get mine top work properly on a G5, let alone Intel??

I would also look at the iMac not producing enough power to maintain stable communication. Perhaps you should try a powered hub/ repeater
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

GMohrs

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2010, 03:00:06 am »

Thanks. I'll try a clean install again, but each new computer I've tried had a freshly installed OS and Eyelike software 4.3. Someone else suggested the trouble might be firewire cable, and the pin configurations?

Chris Gahran

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2010, 01:19:27 pm »

When you test the rig with the G5 computer use the FireWire port on the back of the tower.  There was a problem with the front FireWire connector not having sufficient voltage for Hasselblad backs and maybe that's affecting your Eyelike digital back as well.

gfsymon

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2010, 02:06:47 pm »

It could certainly be the cable, or FW port.  (NB for the re-install.  It's not just re-installing.  It's cleaning out the old stuff.  But if these are clean installs on clean Macs, then that really rules out a software issue.)

Pages: [1]   Go Up