Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Whadday think about a Canon 1D mk2 with low odometer reading?  (Read 7949 times)

Pacific Photos

• dont quit your day job marty
Whadday think about a Canon 1D mk2 with low odometer reading?
« on: November 03, 2010, 11:03:45 pm »

Yeah Guyz and Ladyz of the LU LA forum. I found a Canon 1D mk2 for sale here in Santa Cruz for $1000 US.  The guy has the original receipts and box, couple batteries, charger and it shows only 3k shutter uses!  I am captivated by the chance to get this 2004 Pro Camera.
What do you all think?  Too "old school", too heavy, to few pixals (28mmx19mm sensor size) Too small of screen on the back...too many button pushes, too much money? "Fishy Deal"?? lemmee know ok, cuz I wanna "jump in"!!
I must prove that this remarkable new product will quickly make money for my Sicilian Wife.

francois

Re: Whadday think about a Canon 1D mk2 with low odometer reading?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 03:17:00 am »

Price is correct for a 1D2. Here, they are sold between $650 to $1000. Are you sure that it only has 3k, it seems very low for a six years old pro camera. I still own mine and still shoot with it. I like the handling, AF, viewfinder and it produces very good images for 8.5MP. Things that I don't like: display is too small, large batteries (compared to Mk3/4), large battery charger. Noise at high ISO is not bad but it doesn't compare to newer models like the 1D3 or 1D4 or the equivalents from Nikon.

I must say that I would be a bit reluctant to buy a 2004 camera. Repair can be really expensive for pro models and a "mere" 7D can easily surpass the 1D2 performance in IQ and match other aspects.
Francois

Pacific Photos

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 11:04:14 am »

Yeah Francois, the camera really has 3.6 thousand shots!!  This is my one big reason for thinking it might be ok to "jump in"!!
That is so cool of you to write me back and help me think of the pros and cons!!
btw, the 7d body is quite expensive, no?
I must prove that this remarkable new product will quickly make money for my Sicilian Wife.

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 11:12:28 am »

Despite the older tech (small screen, etc.) I think it's still a terrific camera with great imaging. I had mine till very recently, and even with ~55 k shutter clicks was operating like new.
Eric Chan

francois

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 11:21:04 am »

With only 3.6k, then it should last a long time. You're right, the 7D is quite expensive (much more than I initially thought) and I haven't had the time to compare (1D2 vs 7D) the viewfinder and AF system. I'm keeping my 1D2 as the resale value is quite low around here and I'm very happy with its IQ.
Francois

francois

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 11:22:40 am »

Despite the older tech (small screen, etc.) I think it's still a terrific camera with great imaging. I had mine till very recently, and even with ~55 k shutter clicks was operating like new.
I agree 100%. In fact, the 1D2 was the first digital camera that I liked better than my film cameras.
Francois

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 11:53:44 am »

3.6k according to what?  Some counters don't recognize the 64k rollover.  Also, be aware that it is possible to reset the counter on a Mark II by uploading settings from another camera.   (Or, come to think of it, perhaps even old settings from that same camera?  Don't know about that.)

Overall condition and trustworthiness of the seller should be your determinative factors.  And take note that Mark II bodies sometimes experience low-mileage (<50k) shutter failures even when new.  Prepare for costs in the $200-300 range if/when that happens.

$1k seems a little high for a II; that's more in IIn range.

That said, it's a dandy camera that still gives very good service and results.  I'm still happily using a IIn as second body behind my Mark IV.

Nill
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 11:58:10 am by Nill Toulme »

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 02:34:29 pm »

I agree 100%. In fact, the 1D2 was the first digital camera that I liked better than my film cameras.

Totally agree. Shot with them for 5 years, they are great cameras for news/sports photography. Decent ISO 1600, very good at 800, fast and responsive, killer autofocus. I now shoot with a pair of Mark IV cameras, so the Mark II's are relegated to remote setups or times when I need a third camera.

8 megapixels is plenty for a lot of stuff. Lots of 2-page mag spreads and big prints out of those cameras. $1000 for one in excellent condition is probably a decent price. (Mine look like they've been dragged behind a truck for a few thousand miles. But they work just fine.)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 06:23:07 pm by k bennett »
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Pacific Photos

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 03:16:50 pm »

You guyz are settin' me straight on the 1Dmk2.  I went over to see the guy this morning and asked him to shoot me jumpin' around, karate kid stuff...then a low lite portrait in raw....he downloaded the card for me and I was impressed with the speed capture, and the low lite performance...but then I asked to see the odometer reading and we could not find in the "exif' stuff the actual "clicks" of the odometer? The camera serial # was there, and a million other 'esoteric" things, but.......  So we googled how to do it, but we still could not prove that it is an old camera, that was not used much....so you guyz have been super gracious to build my confidence in the unit....but for me, I must (as an ASE certified School Bus Technician)  "see" the odometer reading.

2.) I think we will find it low tho!

3.) So, anybody out there got an IS 400 mm Canon "L" or a good zoom for surfing shots??  I got a '97 Honda Helix, white with windscreen and 14k on the odometer, running pure synthetic in the engine and reduction gears, new tires, battery and will deliver any where in Ca. I value the scooter at $2000. This baby can cruise the freeway because of a factory 18" lengthening of the wheelbase.....I bought it from a Dominican Nun who only rode it to mass on Sundays!! (dont believe the last sentence please!)
ciao guyz, ladyz....
ps I have had the Helix to 81mph with windscreen up!!

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 06:25:50 pm »

It's notoriously difficult to get total actuations from a Canon camera. The techs at Canon Professional Services can do it. Not sure what else might work.

That said, you can tell a lot about a camera from the wear marks, scratches in the LCD, missing paint, etc.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Pacific Photos

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 09:45:45 pm »

Nill Toulme, what is a 1Dmk2n....the "n"...what type of animal is that?  Is it a newer version if the venerable Dmk2?  The "N" must mean "newer version?

francois

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 04:27:47 am »

The "n" is an updated version with a larger display and some other features like Picture Styles and a larger buffer.
You can read more about it here: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05082208canoneos1dmkiin.asp
Francois

Pacific Photos

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 03:01:26 pm »

Thank you Francois....say the guy is "waffling" about selling it to me now....I wonder if I should have not made the "deal" contingent on proving the "low shutter" usage.  Wish I'de just grabbed it, cuz it really looked fresh..., manuals still unopened.....the receipt shows it was bought in Palo Alto by some Silicon Valley rich camera collector now deceased and sold to my buddy by his son. Oh well??
ciao, marty.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 05:22:09 pm »

Stay away from the 1D2, a lot of them had focus issues. 1D or 1Dn or 1D3 if you must, but not 1D2.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Lightsmith

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2010, 07:50:09 pm »

Excellent camera up to ISO 1250. The II N version had significantly better autofocus for action photography but the Mark II is still very good even in low light. The 1.25 crop is an advantage with telephotos. Only drawback I found with the 1D cameras was at the wide end where lenses are available only for full frame or the APS-C 1.6 crop cameras. Resolution is more than adequate for 11x14 prints.

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2010, 11:41:43 am »

I've had two II's and two IIn's, and I could never tell the slightest difference in the AF performance of any of them — or between them and the original 1D, for that matter, the two new AF processors notwithstanding.  That's in the context of shooting something close to a million frames of action sports with them.  And FWIW, the shutters lasted longer on the II's.

I do much prefer the n, however, for the larger LCD, larger buffer, auto 9999 rollover, etc.

Nill

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2010, 06:41:47 pm »

I've had two II's and two IIn's, and I could never tell the slightest difference in the AF performance of any of them — or between them and the original 1D, for that matter, the two new AF processors notwithstanding.  That's in the context of shooting something close to a million frames of action sports with them.  And FWIW, the shutters lasted longer on the II's.

I do much prefer the n, however, for the larger LCD, larger buffer, auto 9999 rollover, etc.

Nill

Comment from a Canon guy on the 1D2: "Sometimes one of them is sharp, we really don't know why" :)
This camera was plagued with issues, which led to the speedy release of the "N". However, the samples are totally robust, so if one finds one that works, it should keep on working. Another issue I remember is that when shooting action sports it was advised  to use a higher speed than normal, because for some reason (noise reduction?) images were more easily blurred by subject speed. It's still a nice beast of a camera, very "eager" for shooting, short mirror blackout, hugely fast in fps.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Pacific Photos

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 07:31:01 pm »

Yeah Francois, Nill, LightSmith, eronald....you guyz all seem to have used the **** out of this "beast".  I really thank each of you guyz for weighing in on this "heavy" topic.
I bit the bullet and bought this 1Dmk2 two weeks ago, and have been lugging it here and yon, to get used to it's size and old tech wayz.   I am impressed as a surf photographer with it's very, very quik  AF!! Now that is worth the $1200 bucks ...right there!!!  I have been pushing the iso up and down and I am quite impressed with the way it really tries hard to get "the shot" in low light...it truly is a journalists machine.  It does remind me of the weight of my old Speed Graphic!!! now that was a machine!!!  lol
2.) I got a #10 speed sd card in addition to the cf from an old Rebel I had..... I like it....I will wear my "readers" when I look at the tiny lcd screen....I really "dig" the blue lite special auxillary lcd info screens...mastering the semi awkward "two step" button pushing.  It reminds my of a Yamaha Grand Piano...you really got to push hard on the buttons (keys) but the photos (sound) is outrageous.  I also like to time travel back to 2004, to when this was "the" camera if you were serious about your sports photography ....
   You guyz, I am gonna learn this one, and learn it well...hope to have some surf shots to show soon....I really need a good "L" 100/4oomm zoom or a 2.8x 400mm "L".
Susy says xmas is coming...anybody got one of these??  super cool of you guyz to weigh in and give me confidence... ciao, marty
ps. the shutter actuations were under 4k (you could tell, this one was a "garage queen")...some collector in Palo Alto...old guy, (lol) I mean really old guy, couldnt carry it!!! (I am 62yrs old)
Pages: [1]   Go Up