Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gear for Shooting Baseball  (Read 3953 times)

LukeH

• http://
Gear for Shooting Baseball
« on: August 13, 2010, 02:49:25 am »

Hey All,

Just a small question, what lens' do people use for snapping baseball? I just landed a gig for the new Australian Baseball League and was just wondering what you guys used in the way of gear for both 400d and 7d.

Dick Roadnight

Re: Gear for Shooting Baseball
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 05:00:58 am »

Hey All,

Just a small question, what lens' do people use for snapping baseball? I just landed a gig for the new Australian Baseball League and was just wondering what you guys used in the way of gear for both 400d and 7d.
In terms of viewing distance, baseball is, I think much like cricket... but the field behind the man with the base-ball bat is is shorter behind him.

I think you would need a two degree lens on 24 * 36mm... 2m @100m=1 degree...back in the '70s the tool for sport was the 400 or 640mm follow-focus Novoflex.

See: Telephoto for African Safari
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 05:16:00 am by Dick Roadnight »
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 07:16:27 am »

Baseball is a tough game to shoot. The action is somewhat unpredictable, and it can happen right in front of you or 400 feet away.

A fast 400mm lens is pretty much the standard here in the states. A 70-200 zoom on a second camera is also useful. Also, many baseball photogs will set up remote cameras aimed at specific bases, usually with a 200 or 300mm lens, triggered either with a hard wire or radio slave. That way you can cover more than one spot at a time, and get that great play at home plate.

With the crop sensor cameras, you can probably get away with a 300/2.8 as a main lens for night games, given the extra reach.

Good luck.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

kpmedia

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 05:27:50 pm »

It depends on the size of the field, and where you'll be shooting. At most venues I go to (colleges, schools), I can find myself rather close to the action. The best lens is an 80-200, possibly with a 1.4x on full-frame bodies. The second body has about a 400mm on it, for outfield shots, on the off chance there's action out there. And the ball travel time is long enough that swapping bodies off shoulder and into your hands can be done. In some places, I even keep a 12-24 mounted instead of the longer outfield lens, because I can get great crowd reaction and dugout shots.

I dislike images that are so close to the action that you lose perspective on what's going on, so I opt for a little wider view compared to too close. Most of the images will never see use larger than 8x10 anyway, intended for news use. I can crop as much as I want and quality is fine. If I know I'll be shooting for larger, I'm more careful about lengths. But still, I opt for a lens that lets me keep play perspective. A run-down, for example, loses all effect if you're stuck at 300mm and can only cover 1-2 of the players.

I'm curious how you can land a gig for a baseball league, having never shot baseball?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 05:29:52 pm by kpmedia »
Long time Nikon user. Currently using D200 + D3s for sports photography.

lookit

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 10:47:44 pm »

I stuck an old wireframe sports finder with multiple frames in the accessory shoe of my DSLR to make it easier to follow the action overall.  You'll have to estimate the size within the smaller (presumably, for a telephoto lens) frame that is captured, and this might be too inaccurate for a very long lens such as 400mm.

LukeH

• http://
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 10:49:25 pm »

I've always had a passion for baseball, and since there's a new league and team in Sydney I put my hands up to work for them for free
Pages: [1]   Go Up