Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: microlenses  (Read 1748 times)

BillOConnor

microlenses
« on: December 01, 2010, 09:34:31 am »

My understanding of microlenses over the CCD chip is that they are a mixed bag. While suppressing noise in the shadows, they cause problems for
wide-angle lenses especially if they are shifted off-axis. Could this be why the Hasselblad 28mm lens is less highly regarded than the Mamiya/Phase One?
Awhile ago on this site, Dalsa announced a new 48 megapixel chip that has microlenses, but ones help out with the noise, but don't cause the problems
with W/A that the others do.
Who would use this chip? Phase One already has two 40 mp Dalsa backs without microlenses, Pentax and Leaf are married to Kodak which use their version of
them.
Dalsa is very proud of this chip and features it, prominently on their site. Maybe Mamiya would bring out their own back with it.

ced

Re: microlenses
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 09:53:14 am »

How so Leaf married to K?  I thought that they just got divorced...

UlfKrentz

• http://www.shoots.de
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 10:16:00 am »

..., Pentax and Leaf are married to Kodak which use their version of
them...

Hi Bill,

Never heared of Leaf using Kodak chips. Funny enough, even during their time being bought by Kodak they used Dalsa sensors.
May be the new sinarback is using this sensor.

Cheers, Ulf

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 10:37:54 am »

While suppressing noise in the shadows

They don't...
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 11:08:02 am »

...microlenses ...  cause problems for wide-angle lenses especially if they are shifted off-axis.

Correct

Could this be why the Hasselblad 28mm lens is less highly regarded than the Mamiya/Phase One?

The Hasselblad backs, I believe, use micro-lenses except for the 39, 50 and 60 Mpx... and if there was a micro-lens related problem with Hasselblad lenses, it would depend on the back.
Awhile ago on this site, Dalsa announced a new 48 megapixel chip that has microlenses, but don't cause the problems with W/A that the others do.

I think this is the chip (Dalsa FTF 6080C ) used in the Sinar 86H, which is recommended for angles of incidence of light on the sensor of up to 35 degrees.  ...The Apo-Digitar 47XL would be over 45 degrees at the outside of the image circle.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 03:42:34 pm by Dick Roadnight »
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

BillOConnor

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 10:01:10 pm »

Sooo, microlenses or no? From the replies, it seems Hasselblad has quit using them? I didn't know Kodak made a chip without them, their chip in the Pentax 645D has them.
What about the Leaf? I've read that they have them. Is that true? Phase One (Dalsa) doesn't use them. Why or why not?

Bill

Gigi

• some work
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 05:13:39 am »

It would be really nice if there was a chart of backs by company, microlenses or not. Just thought to throw that out there, see if any takers...
Geoff
Pages: [1]   Go Up