Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help shooting a wedding. Please.  (Read 2493 times)

Help shooting a wedding. Please.
« on: October 26, 2002, 01:53:28 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']Holy smokes!

On behalf of everyone else that read this, good luck!!

I'm a Nikon user myself, so I can't comment specifically on the flash.  Besides, I'm afraid in any case this reply is too late.

If it isn't too late, here's my advice:

If you're not an expert in digital post-processing, use the D30 as a polaroid and shoot a LOT of film.  Then use a good lab.  If you have two (or more) film bodies, bring them all and mount a lens on each -- especially if you'll be employing photojournalistic techniques for non-formal shots.

I hope all goes (or went) well![/font]

MikeTrutt

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2002, 12:44:52 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Hi, I know this a pretty broad question, but...
How do you shoot weddings?

Seriously, can anyone offer a few specific tips?

I'm attending a wedding this weekend (in London--a foreign country no less!), and the bride just called me to say that their photographer cancelled on them at the last minute.  I told them I'd step in, but I'm a little nervous about it. I've only shot one other wedding, and that was a casual outdoor affair that didn't present any lighting challenges.

This is a formal banquet hall affair with high ceilings and possibly dim lighting. I'm going to do my best, but I'm definitely out of my league. I MIGHT be provided with an assistant for the formal shots if they can find one.

I have a few very basic questions:

Any tips on how to use the flash? That's what I'm most worried about. This will be the first time I've used a diffuser/bouncer.  In the past I've had a lot of trouble getting good exposures with my Canon flash.  This time I'm stepping up to a 550EX with external power (Canon Transister Pack E) and a Lumiquest diffuser, but I'm not going to have much time to practice with this equipment. It's coming in the mail tomorrow.

What shooting mode do you usually use? Shutter priority? Say..around 1/125?

What lenses? What film speed?

And, do you have any tips for using the D30 at a wedding?
I'm expecting that I'll have to forget about using autofocus.

Here's what I'm planning to bring:
Canon D30 for most shots.
Canon film body for B&W  (400 speed?)
550EX flash with external power and a Lumiquest bouncer
28-135IS as main lens
50/1.4 for portraits (It's 80mm on the D30).
Sigma 15-30 for wide-angle shots.
Lightweight tripod and remote for the formals

Um...what else am I forgetting?

I know this is pretty broad, but I'd appreciate an pointers, especially with using the flash and the D30. The bride and groom say that they've not fussy, but I want to do well for them.

Thanks so much for your help!

- Mike[/font]

MikeTrutt

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2002, 09:19:31 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']Dear Guest,
Thanks for your reply. It's not too late, and I think I'll take your advice and shoot lots of film. I am more comfortable with digital though, so will be using both.

I'm sitting in an Internet cafe in london right now looking for info about this flash.

The wedding is in 3.5 hours.
I saw the hall yesterday, and took a lot of practice shots. They looked good in the preview screen of my D30.

I'm also in the wedding party and giving a toast, so this is all a bit much. I'm handing my camera to someone else to use while I'm actually on stage with the wedding party. Good Lord...

Positive attitude...it'll be fine...

- Mike[/font]
Pages: [1]   Go Up