Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I miss my GS1!  (Read 2887 times)

griffithimage

I miss my GS1!
« on: October 25, 2010, 09:58:59 am »

For many years back in the film era I was shooting 6x7cm.  With the advent of digital it was hard to argue with the cost and convienence of my canon digital systems.
I still miss however that medium format "look" that my GS1 was able to deliver as well as being vey sharp. I'm thinking of upgrading my current system (1Ds) and can't afford (or justify) the expense of a phase back. 

What is currently out there on the market that can give me that 6x7 look?

Thanks

griffithimage

Re: I miss my GS1!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 09:19:46 am »

I guess its really the "look" of medium format. Putting 2 prints side by side -6x7 vs 35mm, the 6x7 had superior detail and was just "better". Digital and it's lack of grain has a clear look, but not one especially to my taste. Maybe the new Pentax 645d is the answer?

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 09:54:39 am »

I don't think you can really mimick that look you are missing with digital.

I was really really tempted to go digital, but in the end I decided to stay with my
Mamiya Universal, and now I'm going to sell it to get a tech camera with a 6*9 back ....

Archiving was one reason, but the other was exactly that "look".

I have made some images I really like with my small p/s camera, which kinda is a
paradigm for the digital look (small sensor, sharpness behavior),
but somehow I really hate it..

If I'd go for a semi-affordable digital system which would be similar to what you are seeking for,
I'd try to get FF and very fast excellent lenses, like 85 mm F1.4, 50 mm F1.2 and the like.
Leica M with Leica or Zeiss lenses or Canikon + Zeiss lenses ...

A pro photographer recently told me he regretted selling a Canon 50 mm F1.0, which made images
"explode" (as he told it), and that he hoped to get one back used ....
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 09:59:06 am by Christoph C. Feldhaim »

sojournerphoto

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 10:38:31 am »

For many years back in the film era I was shooting 6x7cm.  With the advent of digital it was hard to argue with the cost and convienence of my canon digital systems.
I still miss however that medium format "look" that my GS1 was able to deliver as well as being vey sharp. I'm thinking of upgrading my current system (1Ds) and can't afford (or justify) the expense of a phase back. 

What is currently out there on the market that can give me that 6x7 look?

Thanks

A Mamiya 7ii will give you that 6 by 7 look - but from 6 by 7 film

Not sure there is an affordable digital equivalent, though a full frame dslr can look very good too.

Mike

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 11:17:03 am »

Not sure there is an affordable digital equivalent, though a full frame dslr can look very good too.

Mike

I have a 'snap' of my two kids, printed on Kodak WSG D, an informal grab shot of two heads, made with a 150mm Sonnar at the end of a roll of TXP 120 I'd used for a job. Hand-held, it is still full of a character that little else I've tried to achieve digitally matches.

However, I think there's a death wish with the film companies; the prices are an expensive joke if there's no client to whom one can pass on the costs. That's at least one reason digital is getting difficult to arge over. With trannies, last time I looked it worked out at around 16€ a roll, including E6...

Rob C

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 11:21:29 am »

Mike

Actually the Mamiya 7 II  is on quite up on my wishlist for the post-Universal area, once I have a tech camera.
Not sure yet if I'd rather get a 35mm M-mount system à la Zeiss Ikon for mobile/street photography.
Pages: [1]   Go Up