Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monopod?  (Read 3087 times)

evgeny

Monopod?
« on: November 17, 2010, 06:04:17 am »

Hi,

Can you recommend to use monopod, such as a carbon Induro CM24, for sharper images and slower shutter speeds with longer lenses.

Do you recommend to mount a MF digital camera directly to monopod or via a head, such as a Manfrotto 468MGRC3 magnesium hydrostatic ball head which I currently use on my tripods?

Thanks
Evgeny

craig@perfectday.com.hk

Re: Monopod?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 07:49:52 am »

I can strogly recommend the RRS Hi Capacity monopod head. Just got one and loving it with a h4d-40 http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=MH-01-40LR&type=4&eq=&desc=Hi-Capacity-Monopod-Head-with-B2-40-LR

Erick Boileau

• http://
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 08:19:27 am »

RRS monopod head on Gitzo carbon monopod

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 09:24:25 am »

The monopod idea is a strange animal.

I have never bought one, even though the idea has crossed my mind many, many times. The problem is, it isn't really holding anything steady in any single direction except downwards, and only partially that, at the best of times. If you consider your camera attached to a position at the centre of a large ball that is only prevented from falling vertically downwards, you will have the concept. Anything that the ball can do, in terms of rotation, your camera is going to do as well. It can drift off to the side, to the front, anywhere at all except vertically down.

There's a better proposition I've tried from time to time.

Apart from the doctor's best friend, the Gitzo, I also have a relatively light but firm Slik tripod with fitted tilt/rotate head. The trick is this: extend two legs only, and have them at the left and right of the direction you want to shoot. That limits your accidental drift to up or down, far easier to control and also very easy to discern if it is happening. Why, you might ask, as did my wife, not use all three legs as you have carted them with you anyway? The simple answer is: speed. Using a tripod as a tripod takes time and is pretty fixed; using two legs is amazingly versatile in use, just as long as you don't foget and let go! But you wouldn't do that, would you?

Try it before you doubt it; this is something you can safely do at home.

Rob C

evgeny

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 10:53:10 am »

Try it before you doubt it; this is something you can safely do at home.

Rob C

Wow, Rob. I will definitely try it!

Thanks others for replies, I will look at that monopod head, too.

vandevanterSH

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 12:15:15 pm »

I think that a monopod fills a useful space between tripod and hand held especially with MF gear.  Quite often additional support can be added with the aid of building, fence, rock, etc.  Avoid using a ball head with a monopod; it's a PITA in my experience. 

RRS MH-01 monopod head and a Gitzo 5541 'pod or the RRS MC-34 'pod.

Steve

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 02:27:16 pm »

I think that a monopod fills a useful space between tripod and hand held especially with MF gear. 
It's useful as well with point-and-shoot cameras which don't perform well at high ISO and so require longer shutter speeds. The Manfrotto carbon fibre monopod with friction lock joints is pretty good: Michael reviewed it a couple of years ago here. The friction locks mean that it's very quick to extend to the correct height.

Jeremy

evgeny

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 02:16:25 am »

Jeremy, that is a review of the 486B Neotec monopod with leg opening and closing by pulling down a button. I considered that monopod first, because I use the Manfrotto 485B Neotec tripod with same rapid locking mechanism.

I think there are better products today. For example, Induro CM24 Carbon vs Manfrotto 486B monopod:

Maximum Height: 61.6" (156.5cm) vs 66.9" (169.9cm)
Folded Length: 19.9" (50.5cm) vs 29.3" (74.4cm)
Load Capacity: 26.4 lb (12 kg) vs 17.6 lbs (8kg)
Weight: 0.9 lb (0.4 kg) vs 1.76 lbs (0.8kg)

Steve, I have a Berlebach 540 pan/tilt head, which I can use with a monopod.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 02:21:08 am by evgeny »
Pages: [1]   Go Up