Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: present set up vs canon rebel digital 300D  (Read 3843 times)

Graham Welland

present set up vs canon rebel digital 300D
« on: October 16, 2003, 04:03:45 am »

Andreas,

I'm not certain that one solution is 'better' than the other. I shoot digital most of the time and the advantages over scanning film are almost all convenience versus quality. I get good shots from digital but can still get great images from film.

With a decent film scanner and ANY film camera you are going to be able to extract more information from the image than any of the pro-sumer level digital cameras. The only thing is that you do have to go through the much longer process of shoot/develop/scan/spot image/photoshop/print as opposed to the much more immediate shoot/review cycle and PS/Print later. The advantages of this can't be understated - particularly if you are a recreational photographer.

As regards the noise issue - I'm surprised that you are getting chromatic noise from your scans. I've never had this from film scanning (although I've had plenty of dust!). The things you may find with the 300D are chromatic aberation (CA) artifacts - this is where you get slight colour fringing around hard light/dark transitions. This is surprisingly common and to be dependent on how much you spend on your camera!

So I think the move to the 300D should be based on other factors than scan noise vs image noise.

Hope this helps.
Graham

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2003, 04:42:33 pm »

Image quality with the Digital Rebel/300D is exactly the same as the 10D--the same imaging chip and processor is used in both cameras. The Rebel/300D has a plastic body instead of metal, and a simplified control set and software functions compared to the 10D. Either camera is capable of delivering much better image quality than scanned 35mm film. If you can afford either body, you won't be sorry.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2003, 02:40:00 am »

It may, but there's a good chance it won't. Many Tamrons and some Sigmas have had compatibility  issues with the 10D and 300D resulting in improper autofocus operation and occasionally camera lockups. If you're on a budget, get the 300D and the best lenses you can afford. The Canon 28-235 IS isn't as good as the L zooms, but it offers good performance for iits cost. But if you can afford them the L lenses will be noticeably clearer and sharper than the cheaper ones.

Andres Bonila

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2003, 03:27:56 am »

Thanks fot the info!

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2003, 08:33:24 pm »

I presently own an analog Rebel camera with a 24-200 mm, 5.6Tamron zoom lens, I shoot on kodak 200 asa negative film and I scan these negs on a 2900 dpi Nikon scanner. I use Photoshop 6.01 for adjustments and print on a 1270 Epson printer. I find myself using NeatImage a lot because I get, I think is called, chromatic noise.  I saw the review on the new Digital rebel 300D, the pictures looked beautiful , sharp and noiseless. Would this camera be an improvement over my present amateur set up? One of my issues is the 5.6 aperture that sometimes requires long exposures, I

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2003, 03:23:44 pm »

Thanks for the info, I think I may be ok for a while until I decide to go with a more robust camera like the 10D, It also depends on how more seriously I want to pursue my photography.

Thanks again,
Andres

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2003, 05:09:35 pm »

Would my Tamron zoom work with the 300D?

JimV

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2003, 07:12:47 pm »

I own the 300D, and my sister owns the film Rebel, and trust me, the image quality of mine is way better. For me, the switch to digital has been very freeing. So far the only huge complaint I have towards the 300d is that I can't select autofocus modes like I could on my film camera. Now when I do sporting events I can't use AI Servo on shutter or aperture priority. The only way I can get to it is through the auto "sport" mode. I hope this helps.

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2003, 02:18:29 pm »

I just find out that is not chromatic noise but grain antialiasing and is the result of my 200 asa film and how it interacts with the hardware of my scanner. Humm that canon is  sounding really good.

Mark Johnson

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2003, 10:44:32 am »

I switched from scanning film to the D30 a couple of years ago, and found it much better for color work, but a little lacking for B&W. Key to using a film scanner is finding a film that works well on your scanner. I used to shoot Reala 100, sensia, and TCN400, as they scanned on my HP scanner with very low grain aliasing effects. I've just upgraded to 300D, and am selling on all of my film stuff but an old Rebel. Plus, how many films do you shoot and develop anually? With digital you won't have that expense.

Going back to film from the Canon CMOS sensor I'd have to shoot 6x7 to be happy with the quality. I took a trip round the world with a contax G2 shooting reala. I love that camera, but I know I'd have got better quality with the D30.
Pages: [1]   Go Up