Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 & Dimage A2 Opinions  (Read 2051 times)

Paul Sumi

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 & Dimage A2 Opinions
« on: November 05, 2004, 12:51:13 pm »

DPReview has just published its FZ20 review.

Ian Menuru

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2004, 12:08:44 pm »

The FZ looks pretty good but don't forget to compare the electronic view finders if you plan on using manual focus. The FZ20 only has a 114k pixel screen (and no refresh rate given) while the A2 has an EVF that is presently the closest thing to an SLR with a 922k pixel screen and a 30 or 60 fps refresh rate. It makes for very smooth and crisp viewing for an EVF. The A2 also has a manual zoom ring and loaded with old fashioned buttons and knobs that prevent all that menu wading.

Ian

nparton

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2004, 11:45:21 am »

Thanks for the replies.

To confuse matters even more I've just found that Canon have a promotional offer on the EOS 300D - £100 cashback after purchasing and a free 256mb CF card. One retailer is also throwing in a free case.
So I could get all that (plus the kit lens) for £500 which is very tempting.
Just to put those prices in perspective, the A2 is around £540 and the Lumix FZ20 around £400.

infinity23

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2004, 06:51:39 pm »

You aren’t asking the right questions. Of course the Canon DSLR you can afford will outperform (in most but not all areas) the FZ20 as long as you do not need the 36-432 zoom, the built-in stabilization, built-in close-up capability of the FZ20.

If you plan on buying at least 3 more lenses then the Canon is the way to go. But consider the size and weight of the Canon equipment you would need to purchase to equal what you get in the FZ20.

I use a Canon 1DMkII and a 1Ds with 6 L lenses with a DO lens to range from 16mm to 300mm. But I also use the FZ20 as a light carry around. I use an Epson 4000 for all printing. Now I’m not going to tell you that at 16x20 there is no difference between the three cameras, the 1Ds (soon to be replaced by a 1DsMkII) blows away both the 1DMkII and the FZ20. But at lower sizes the FZ20 can hold its own. No, it isn’t equal to the 8MP 1DMkII but unless you are using a very good printer, the difference would be hard to justify the 20 times dollar cost ($500 versus $10,000) unless you are a pro and need the advantages of the 1DMkII.

The FZ20’s viewfinder takes a day or so to get used to. But is perfectly adequate in most cases.

So the real question you need to ask yourself is how much are you going to invest in your photography? Do you want to make a living from it or is it a hobby to share with family and friends? Do you want to carry around ten to fifteen pounds of equipment? Are you going to spend the time necessary to learn Photoshop or can you get along with Photoshop Elements or iPhoto (if you’re a Mac user).

The question isn’t if you can afford the Canon and its kit lens but whether you are going to be willing to invest quite a bit more to equal and then surpass what you get with the FZ20.

From your original question, I would advise going with the FZ20. As stated in the review in dpreview.com, it is quite a bargain for what you get. After using it for a year, you will have a much better understanding of what lenses you will need to take the type of photography you enjoy. Let’s say it depreciates 50% in that year, so for $250 you will have the answers to most of your questions and thousands of great pictures.

Whatever you decide, enjoy!

Roger

nparton

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2004, 04:17:20 am »

I'm considering purchasing a Panasonic DMC-FZ20 as an upgrade from my Canon A70 "creative compact". I'm surprised that it hasn't been reviewed on Luminous Landscape, with its Leica lens and image stabilisation..
Does anyone have any experience with this camera?

I'm also considering the KM Dimage A2, mostly because it has the option of a battery grip that can take AA batteries (and also for the tiltable LCD). I can't imagine taking a camera somewhere without the comfort factor that comes from knowing I can pick up a pack of AAs if the battery dies. Do other people find the battery issue much of a problem?

The main pros for the Lumix are the 12x zoom with f2.8 throughout, the excellent reviews, the Leica lens and quite importantly the price (around £120 less than the A2 at the moment).

The Pros for the A2 are the option of the battery grip, the tilting LCD and it seems to have more focusing options (I'm not sure how useful they are..). There is also the higher megapixel count but I don't see that as a huge issue as I've been happy with my Canon's 3.2mp resolution (So far I've only printed at 6"x4").

My reasons for upgrading from the A70 are its lesser 3x zoom, noisiness (even at ISO 50, and I've tried Neatimage which helps a bit), the temptation of the image stabilisation and a manual focus ring (and zoom ring, even if it is 'by wire').

Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Apologies for such a long first post!

nparton

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2004, 01:35:04 pm »

DPReview has just published its FZ20 review.
Thanks for that.  
 I think my main concern now is the propritary battery (I'm terrible at remembering to charge things like phones/camera batteries/mp3 player etc)

Graham Welland

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2004, 09:16:47 pm »

The FZ20 only has a 114k pixel screen (and no refresh rate given) while the A2 has an EVF that is presently the closest thing to an SLR with a 922k pixel screen and a 30 or 60 fps refresh rate. It makes for very smooth and crisp viewing for an EVF.
I have both the A2 and the Digilux 2 and I can certainly vouch for the fact that the Leica lens absolutely blows the Minolta out of the water and produces better 5mp images that are sharper and more 'photogenic' than those that I get from the A2. They tend to be sharp, contrasty images with lot's of 3d depth. Don't get me wrong, the A2 is a great travel camera with a decent zoom, but I do find that the extra resolution isn't that much of an advantage by comparison.

As regards the digital viewfinders, the A2 is the best of the current crop by a long way but it is still, in my opinion, barely acceptable. They all tend to bloom and colour bleed in strong light and the manual focus capabilities are pretty poor, even with the dynamic zoom. I use them for framing shots but that's about all. I prefer to use the rear LCD on these cameras much of the time. In less contrasty light the A2 viewfinder works pretty well.

If the Panasonic has the same sensor and image logic as the LC1/LC5 then you'll be very pleased with it, once you've got past the fact the Panasonic cameras only really perform well at their base ISO - 200 & 400 get noisy very quickly.
Graham

DaveLon

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2004, 12:40:35 pm »

I have both the Canon D300 and the Dimage A2 and like both for what I use them for. Overall the DSLR is my first choice and I will be adding a D20 once I have the cash. For the price, go for the Canon.

Of course, the breaks in price might suggest a newer model is on the way.

Dave S

nparton

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2004, 07:33:53 am »

Thanks a lot for all the useful info.

Last weekend I made a decision and bought an EOS 300D (the one I didn't even mention in my original post heh)
The two main reasons were:
- One of the reasons for moving on from my Powershot A70 was noise in low light images and a DSLR seems to be the way to go to reduce that.
- I really like being able to choose which lenses to add, without being limited to a choice of a model-specific teleconverter.

I got this for £500 (after the cashback offer) from a local store (Jessops) who were kind enough to pricematch an online store. I think it was bit of a bargain

I'm really enjoying learning to use it and it really feels like a step up from the A70.
Pages: [1]   Go Up