Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soft Proofing in PSCS 5 vs CS 4: Need Answers  (Read 2568 times)

rhkdiver1945

Soft Proofing in PSCS 5 vs CS 4: Need Answers
« on: November 11, 2010, 04:23:46 pm »

I'm working on both a Windows Vista 64bit machine and a new IMac. I have the same problem on both and have compared soft proofing on both CS 4 & 5 and there seems to be a difference.

Scenario:

1) Process a raw nef file in Camera Raw, open as 16bit file, ProPhoto color space 300 dpi
2) Set CS 4 & 5 color settings to ProPhoto, rendering intent Perceptual
3) Once done save file as 16bit layers tif Pro Photo
4) Flatten Image /convert to 8bit/ Adobe RGB ( for magazine art directors)
5) When soft proofing in CS4 as Adobe RGB color does not change and no gamut warning ( I can see a gamut warning when I change proof setup to sRGB)
6) In CS5 I get a drastic color change when I soft proof the same file with Adobe RGB proof set up AND when I select Gamut Warning, the image darkens back to what it normally looked like before I tried to soft proof.

I have a attached a file so you can test in CS 4 & 5 and see for yourself.

This has been very frustrating because there is no way to proof the color space in Camera Raw and even I open the image as a smart object from Camera Raw, if I try and adjust for the soft proofing image, when I go back into camera raw, the color looks correct.

madmanchan

• Web
Re: Soft Proofing in PSCS 5 vs CS 4: Need Answers
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 05:32:31 pm »

I tried to reproduce your issue (with my own test files) in CS5 but could not. I also could not open your posted test image. Can you please check it?
Eric Chan

rhkdiver1945

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 05:49:00 pm »

OK try the attached jpg. I have 1 IMac and 1 Vista 64 machine. I have CS 4 and 5 on both. The attached image does not have an attached profile. Set Proof Setup to Adobe RGB and you should see a major color shift. Click Gamut Warning and the image should revert to its previous state. This only happens in CS5

The tech support from NAPP says that you can't soft proof an file with the same embedded color profile but I've never heard that and it doesn't seem to make a difference given my test files.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. I have seen this problem posted in some other forums with no answers.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 07:14:27 pm »

The attached image does not have an attached profile.

It does, Adobe RGB (1998). When I open this document with CS4 and CS5 running the same time, setup a soft proof, I see an identical preview of both. I tried a profile for an Epson printer, Monitor RGB and Working CMYK (both copies set for SWOP v2). They preview identically.

Why would you want to setup a soft proof for a document and pick the same color space the document is in?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

rhkdiver1945

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 07:40:04 pm »

Ok.....how about trying Gamut Warning using CS 5 with soft proof Adobe RGB on a file with the same embedded profile. Are you confirming NAPP tech support's view that it is not necessary to proof and file with an embedded profile using a proof setup with the same profile?

The reason that this even came up was that soft proofing seemed different in CS 4 & 5....especially in regards to Gamut Warning. I've been getting a huge color shift when I soft proof the previously attached image with proof setup set to Adobe RGB

alfin

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 09:36:17 am »

I can reproduce the effect with CS5/Win 7 64/Eizo wide gamut screen. It’s even more apparent if I softproof a sRGB file with the sRGB profile. It’s the same effect if converting a sRGB file to sRGB.
Lars Mollerstrom

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 02:12:00 pm »

Are you confirming NAPP tech support's view that it is not necessary to proof and file with an embedded profile using a proof setup with the same profile?

Yes, there’s no reason to do this. You may have found a bug, I’m not sure. But the soft proof is in effect when you open the document (soft proof of the RGB doc in its embedded color space).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up