Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon G9, G10, Gx: Check your screws!  (Read 3898 times)

walter.sk

Canon G9, G10, Gx: Check your screws!
« on: March 31, 2011, 11:12:11 am »

Many of us have the Powershot Gx series cameras for those days that we don't carry the big stuff.  My wife found the left end of the camera strap dangling on her G10, and found that the 2 screws holding in the attachment plate on the left side had disappeared.  I checked my G9 and, although the attachment plate is somewhat different, one of the screws had apparently worked itself out, too.  Fortunately we discovered this early enough to avoid a costly fall of the cameras.

Please check these anchor plates on your G-series cameras.   (I suppose on all of your cameras.)

Any thoughts on using either LocTite on the threads, or a spot of nail enamel on the heads after we get the replacement screws?

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Canon G9, G10, Gx: Check your screws!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 12:18:43 pm »

Thanks for the heads up, Walter. I will check the screws on my G10 as soon as I finish posting this.

I haven't tried either Loctite or nail enamel, but for screws that only hold the strap on I can't image there is any problem. I might decide to use both!

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

degrub

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 10:05:12 pm »

depends on if it is a screw into plastic. Check the solvents for compatibility.
IF it is metal to metal should be no problem.

schrodingerscat

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 12:45:57 pm »

This applies to most cameras, and other devices. Especially those that see a lot of flight time, motorcycle transport, or other environments that are subject to high frequency vibration. Jets are notorious for backing out screws, and have spawned whole industries to prevent it.

Best thing to do is just go over and retighten them periodically. I'd be leery of using locktite or similar products. You just might want to have the thing repaired some day.

Years ago Nikon went from using three screws to hold the tripod socket in place on two lines of cameras and replaced it with a locktited insert. A customer brought one in with a stripped tripod thread and I never could get it out. A Nikon tech told me the camera needed to be completely torn down and a butane torch applied to remove the insert. Off to Nikon service it went and a 15 minute cheap job turned into a $250 bill to the customer and took three weeks. All because some engineer didn't think things through.

walter.sk

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 05:07:32 pm »

Years ago Nikon went from using three screws to hold the tripod socket in place on two lines of cameras and replaced it with a locktited insert. A customer brought one in with a stripped tripod thread and I never could get it out. A Nikon tech told me the camera needed to be completely torn down and a butane torch applied to remove the insert. Off to Nikon service it went and a 15 minute cheap job turned into a $250 bill to the customer and took three weeks. All because some engineer didn't think things through.
Gulp!  Lesson learned!
Pages: [1]   Go Up