Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with Sinarback 43HR/SinarCam2  (Read 5895 times)

Kumar

• http://www.bskumarphotography.com
Help with Sinarback 43HR/SinarCam2
« on: November 06, 2010, 09:02:15 pm »

I have been given (lucky me!):

Sinarback 43HR (Firewire)
SinarCam2
Sinar Revolving Adapter (part 551.65.030)
Sinar Power Supply 100~240V USB model (part 523.32.100) with a power cable

There are no cables, connectors, manuals or CDs.

I have been in touch with Hans-Peter Ochsner of Sinar, and he has given me a list of accessories that I will need to start using this back. PdF on this forum has also been of help.

In the meanwhile, I would be glad to get any help from users of the older Sinarbacks.

1. I do not yet have a Reference Files/Shading CD. Can/will the back generate its own reference files? Is there a calibration I can do to generate the required files?
2. There are no screws to connect the back to the revolving adapter. I've been told to get M3 screws of the appropriate length. What is the correct length of the screws in mm?
3. Does any one have spare 522.12.020 Sinarback Control Cable, 4.5m and  522.12.022  Sinarback Trigger Cable, 1.0m?
4. I would like to buy adapters for Hasselblad V, Bronica SQ/ETR and Mamiya 645/RB67. Does anyone have any lying around? Will these adapters be usable with other Sinarbacks? If not, can the newer adapters be used with this back? In particular, I've seen Gen 2 Hasselblad V adapters. What is the difference among the various versions?
5. Since the sensor is 35mm sized, a MacroScan adapter might be a good idea. I've used an Eyelike Precision M11 earlier, stitching with the geared rear standards, and was quite satisfied with the results. How easy/difficult is it to use the MacroScan on location? What kind of power supply is needed? Will it run off the same power supply that I have, along with the SinarCam 2?
Is it compatible with the latest backs? I've been told that the last version of CaptureShop that will support the MacroScan is 4.1.2. But if the P3, a current "digital" camera supports the MacroScan, does Sinar expect users of the latest camera/lenses to use old software?
6. Does anyone have a spare Sinar Action Module/CyberKit for sale?

Thanks in advance.
Kumar
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 11:38:58 pm by Kumar »

edwinb

• http://www.image2output.com
Re: Help with Sinarback 43HR/SinarCam2
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 05:20:30 am »

all the parts including adaptors are probably available from your local distributor
the macroscan is p2 format (4x5) only (as is the sinarcam2 you have)
p3 is 100 format
any parts not available send a list of part numbers to sales@image2output.com and I'm sure they will quote
but you will have shipping and customs duty
edwin
Edwin Blenkinsopp
Technical Manager
image2output
m:  +44 (0) 7836 674749
e: edwin@image2output.com
w: Sinar |  Foba |Inkjet

Kumar

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 05:45:53 am »

Hi Edwin,
I am asking on the forum since this is an older back, and perhaps someone has a few accessories lying around. I'll certainly get in touch with your company as well.
According to this: http://www.sinar.ch/en/products/cameras/141-sinar-p3 the Macroscan is indeed usable with the P3, as are regular P2 carriers, etc. All one needs is the tapered bellows.
I'm not talking about using the SinarCam 2 on the P3.

Thanks,
Kumar

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 05:56:40 am »

Hi Edwin,
I am asking on the forum since this is an older back, and perhaps someone has a few accessories lying around. I'll certainly get in touch with your company as well.
According to this: http://www.sinar.ch/en/products/cameras/141-sinar-p3 the Macroscan is indeed usable with the P3, as are regular P2 carriers, etc. All one needs is the tapered bellows.
I'm not talking about using the SinarCam 2 on the P3.

Thanks,
Kumar
Is that right Edwin - can I use a Macroscan on a P3/P2 (with 45/100 conversion bellows) with an 86H, P3 lensboards, Apo-Digitars and an LC shutter, and an eShutter?
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

DavorHorvatic

• http://www.xpose.at
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 06:52:20 am »

1. I do not yet have a Reference Files/Shading CD. Can/will the back generate its own reference files? Is there a calibration I can do to generate the required files?
Yes, you can use Sinar Capture Shop software to produce a new reference file for the back.

2. There are no screws to connect the back to the revolving adapter. I've been told to get M3 screws of the appropriate length. What is the correct length of the screws in mm?
Appropriate screws depend on the adapter you want to mount to the back - some adapters need shorter, some of them longer screws.

3. Does any one have spare 522.12.020 Sinarback Control Cable, 4.5m and  522.12.022  Sinarback Trigger Cable, 1.0m?
4. I would like to buy adapters for Hasselblad V, Bronica SQ/ETR and Mamiya 645/RB67. Does anyone have any lying around? Will these adapters be usable with other Sinarbacks? If not, can the newer adapters be used with this back? In particular, I've seen Gen 2 Hasselblad V adapters. What is the difference among the various versions?

There are adapters made for Sinarback 23/43 (same sensor size) and Sinarbacks with bigger sensor size (Sinarback 54S, 54H) also different from Adapters for Sinarback 54M, Emotion and Evolution.

5. Since the sensor is 35mm sized, a MacroScan adapter might be a good idea. I've used an Eyelike Precision M11 earlier, stitching with the geared rear standards, and was quite satisfied with the results. How easy/difficult is it to use the MacroScan on location? What kind of power supply is needed? Will it run off the same power supply that I have, along with the SinarCam 2?
Is it compatible with the latest backs? I've been told that the last version of CaptureShop that will support the MacroScan is 4.1.2. But if the P3, a current "digital" camera supports the MacroScan, does Sinar expect users of the latest camera/lenses to use old software?
Yes, MacroScan adapter makes sense and if you are lucky, you can find some on Ebay. I would use this configuration these days only in studio. To heavy and to complicated IMHO for location work. It is nice peace of gear in the studio p2, Sinarcam 2, SB 43, Macroscan Adapter with power supply for the Sinarcam. What you need are Sinar Digital DB lenses mounted for using with Sinarcam 2, (they can also be found on Ebay!) that means, the lens is mounted behind the Sinarcam. So, I would forget p3, you don´t need it. Macroscan does not make any sense with bigger sensor size as 24x36mm, so macroscan is something you buy for this one. I would not spend to much money on Adapters for Bronica, Hasselblad or Mamiya. Use it in Studio with macroscan and for other cameras and location work, go for newer, modern backs with larger sensors.

6. Does anyone have a spare Sinar Action Module/CyberKit for sale?

Thanks in advance.
Kumar
[/quote]
Cheers

Davor

xpose solutions

Kumar

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 07:21:38 am »

Thanks, Davor.
I'll try to make the reference files through CaptureShop.
So an adapter for the 54 series will not work with the 43. I'm surprised they didn't make the adapters backward compatible, since the software works with all the backs. I'd like to get the cables, if someone has them.
My commercial work is in urban locations, so a Macroscan is just one more piece - not too great a problem. I have a couple of the digital lenses with the DB mounts, so using a SinarCam could be done, again, only if there's a need. I believe I could also use it with a Hasselblad lens shift adapter on the front, with the back mounted on the rear. Might find a use for it.
I have a Bronica SQ system, as well as a few funky lenses for the RB, so I'd like to experiment. The Hasselbald V adapter is so that I can use it with my other view cameras. But, as you say, I'm not looking for spendy stuff!

Thanks,
Kumar

edwinb

• http://www.image2output.com
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 07:38:39 am »

your correct- you can mount sinarcam2 and macroscan on P3 standards, I havent tried cmv lens with a macroscan but if you have sinarcam2 they are amazingly reliable and seem to go on for ever so I would use that.
I have used a macroscan/sinarcam2 +54h cameraback in 16 shot mode giving a 64 shot image- concrete floor and no flash.
I think captureshop 4 which supports the macroscan will not support the later edition camerabacks (eg 75h/86h) and the version 5 captureshop which supports these newer backs doesn't support the macroscan
I seem to remember it was essential to create a lens shading reference (in all 4 positions) which of course means there is no need for the sensor reference.
Replacement sensor references are available from Sinar and are not easily recreated with the same quality- they use dedicated equipment to make them.
In multishot mode check the piezo calibration which can be recalibrated with the dot patterned a4 target.
The rotating adaptor has to have a short version of countersunk screws to allow rotation and not enter the back too far.
The Sam was withdrawn and I don't recommend relying on the Cyberkit even if you find one.
As others have said- this would be fine in a studio.
Edwin
Edwin Blenkinsopp
Technical Manager
image2output
m:  +44 (0) 7836 674749
e: edwin@image2output.com
w: Sinar |  Foba |Inkjet

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 12:39:18 pm »

your correct- you can mount sinarcam2 and macroscan on P3 standards,
I have used a macroscan/sinarcam2 +54h cameraback in 16 shot mode giving a 64 shot image- concrete floor and no flash.
I think captureshop 4 which supports the macroscan will not support the later edition camerabacks (eg 75h/86h) and the version 5 captureshop which supports these newer backs doesn't support the macroscan
The rotating adaptor has to have a short version of countersunk screws to allow rotation and not enter the back too far.
Edwin
Thanks, Edwin...
So, if the new software does not support the Macroscan, it is not worth buying a Macroscan for 86H?
What shift for stitch do you get with the Macroscan?
Can the Macroscan work without software?
Can you used a Macroscan without a Sinarcam?
Has anyone got a 54H looking for a new home (I have an adapter for one).
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

PdF

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 12:54:27 pm »

I think that Macroscan is especially interesting with 24/36 mm backs, or with a 44. But with a 54, 74, 86, the gain of surface is less. In this case, is the mounting of images so effective?

PdF
PdF

Kumar

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 06:46:56 pm »

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the Macroscan shifts 19mm in each direction.
The older software doesn't support newer backs, and newer software doesn't support the MacroScan. Talk about deliberate obsolescence!
The MacroScan is controlled by the software, so it won't work manually.
The Macroscan can be used independently of the SinarCam.

Kumar

rhsu

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 06:56:31 pm »

Kumar,

I'll get someone here to PM you directly.  A "reliable" FIRST HAND source!  ;D

Kumar

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 06:58:55 pm »

Thanks, Richard!

Kumar